steering arms?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by rusty40, Jun 20, 2003.

1. rusty40

rusty40

I have drums on the front and rear on my 72 cruiser and I have to overhaul . So i figure might aswell go to some landcruiser disc brakes from an 85 fj 60 I am assuming in this swap I will have to switch the whole steering knuckle in order to get the calipers mounted.

do the fj60s have the same bolt pattern on the steering arms as a 40 ?? or are they like minitruck?

just wondering cuz I can get a set of 60 axles for cheep but I also want to get either hysteer or or a double arm for spring over suspension also I noticed that the tie rod and ends on the fj60 axle was much bigger than my fj40

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    yes, you swap the entire knuckle

yes, you now have the minitruck/60-series arm pattern

I ordered AllPro hi-steer arms yesterday, will be swapping minitruck knuckles and their arms on my rig on Sat the 28th, tech article and pics pending. Can give you a first-hand on the process.

3. rusty40

rusty40

thanks

It will be a good upgrade

Those all pro arms are NICE!

4. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

rusty40,

I think the AP arms (and most high steer type arms) are made for sprung over vehicles. If yours isn't SO, check for clearance first. Sorry I didn't want to sign up for membership in the photo album site (just trying to keep spam down) so I don't know if yours is SO.

Dave

5. rusty40

rusty40

I have spring over but the steering arm isnt setup yet

6. jm

jm

b -- bring your old knuckles and steering arms w/ you as spares for me on the next outing:)... I always wanted a spare for the passenger side!

jm

7. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    jm: I think they are already going on a '72 in need of a disc brake conversion, tho the double-arm has no immediate future...

check yer emails too...might have whatcha need after yer bustage this weekend!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.