Steel Building experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When the new one is built, hope you can make another party!

So update: After getting a couple of quotes for steel buildings, I am seriously thinking of contracting out the concrete and framing it myself. (Obviously with the help of a few people). I am currently drawing up some more detailed plans to get an idea of framework and a materials list so I can compare the cost. Does anyone have any experience with going through the county for permitting? I am also looking to get some bids for the concrete work. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

I, through my firm and flipping homes, have dealt with the county on many projects. They are very tough and unforgiving, to say the least. When I mean tough, they are not very well versed on the codes but, they are extraordinarily inflexible and unhelpful. They are, among the worst, if not the worst, in the Phoenix metro area to get a project completed through.

Before you do anything else, you need to start, before spending ANY money, with their planning department. Get approvals for what you want to do FIRST! Unfortunately, this will take multiple trips to their offices. PLEASE get names of people you are working with and try to work with the same person start to finish. DO NOT forget to get names and dates. Full names. Also, record the conversations. I hate to say this but I have seen and worked on far too many projects, where people have been harmed financially, due to their unprofessionalism. I can spend hours talking about projects costing thousands to hundreds of thousands more due to poor management and lack of care.

Once you have the project approved by the Planning Department you can move forward with submitting the project to their building department for review. This can be done simultaneously but, planning will dictate size, location, the look of the building etc.

This is not impossible but, if you do not hire professionals to do this for you, it WILL be frustrating, and at times, infuriating. It will double, at least, the length of time needed to get approvals. This is kind of like working on an 80!

If you want, PM me and I will give you additional information and help as much as possible.

I, through my firm and flipping homes, have dealt with the county on many projects. They are very tough and unforgiving, to say the least. When I mean tough, they are not very well versed on the codes but, they are extraordinarily inflexible and unhelpful. They are, among the worst, if not the worst, in the Phoenix metro area to get a project completed through.

Before you do anything else, you need to start, before spending ANY money, with their planning department. Get approvals for what you want to do FIRST! Unfortunately, this will take multiple trips to their offices. PLEASE get names of people you are working with and try to work with the same person start to finish. DO NOT forget to get names and dates. Full names. Also, record the conversations. I hate to say this but I have seen and worked on far too many projects, where people have been harmed financially, due to their unprofessionalism. I can spend hours talking about projects costing thousands to hundreds of thousands more due to poor management and lack of care.

Once you have the project approved by the Planning Department you can move forward with submitting the project to their building department for review. This can be done simultaneously but, planning will dictate size, location, the look of the building etc.

This is not impossible but, if you do not hire professionals to do this for you, it WILL be frustrating, and at times, infuriating. It will double, at least, the length of time needed to get approvals. This is kind of like working on an 80!

If you want, PM me and I will give you additional information and help as much as possible.
Wow, yea, I'll send you a PM. I just don't get why they would be so tough to deal with and also be so picky about size, location, look of the building... I would understand if I was dealing with an HOA or even the city, but this is the county and I'm on a county island. Ugh. Thanks for the heads up!

Well hopefully this will cheer you up a bit....With re-purposing materials a priority, spent the past 2 weekends putting the walls up, power, h2o... and first batch in this weekend :)
20170930_114723.jpg
20170930_122946.jpg

Interesting thread, i am in the same boat. I bought some land in Casa Grande just for this reason..... room , affordable, and no emissions......
I plan on doing all the work myself - 30x40X12 and by my math a steel building is the lest costly route with a clear span.

I was looking at Whirlwind Metal Building, then found Factory OverStock steel buildings ( FSO). Still doing my due diligence for the supplier, but I think I can get he materials delivered, with insulation roll up door service door window and gutters for $12,000.

In parallel, I applied for variance due to lager size and height with the city of Casa Grande, Just had it presented to the planning board last Tuesday and it was approved!. Next stop building permit and pulling the trigger. The planning and zoning folks in CG could not be better to work with. Very Competent, and service oriented. ..
WIll keep you posted on the supplier selection and hope your project goes well.

Wow, $12,000 for the materials? I need to contact this place.

I'm still vetting them, but so far looks promising.
Been around for a while, good BBB reports, will see.

I'm still vetting them, but so far looks promising.
Been around for a while, good BBB reports, will see.
The prices look good! I was getting quotes for about 20k+ for materials.

Hi Guys,
I have my 30X40 X12' steel building in progress. The slab is in and the overall dimensions are great, and very level, but several of the anchor bolts are off. The ones that are <1/2" off I plan to simply enlarge the col. bolt holes, but regarding the ones that are >1" off, should I remove, and install new anchors or drill new holes in the col. plates?
If I install new anchors, I plan to use new rod of matching diameter and epoxy in.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Not a structural engineer but significant experience as an inspector. Before doing anything, get with the manufacturer of the building and see what they would suggest. If you drill and epoxy, that would fall under special inspections and you will have to hire someone just to look at the work while you are doing it (if you have a permit). It can be a pain. Before you torch holes in the base-plate though, you need to confer with the manufacturer to see if that will impact their system. Or, you can just contact your structural engineer and ask them. No matter what you do, get documentation from them and have it sealed before you do it.

This is one of the times it is definitely better to ask permission rather than forgiveness because it can get very expensive very quickly.

Not a structural engineer but significant experience as an inspector. Before doing anything, get with the manufacturer of the building and see what they would suggest. If you drill and epoxy, that would fall under special inspections and you will have to hire someone just to look at the work while you are doing it (if you have a permit). It can be a pain. Before you torch holes in the base-plate though, you need to confer with the manufacturer to see if that will impact their system. Or, you can just contact your structural engineer and ask them. No matter what you do, get documentation from them and have it sealed before you do it.

This is one of the times it is definitely better to ask permission rather than forgiveness because it can get very expensive very quickly.

Great feedback - thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom