Steel Building experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I'm looking to see if anyone in the club has any experience with getting a large steel building built on their property or if someone has a contact who does that. We moved and are on an acre now and I want my bar back, so I plan on building a 30x50 building, steel is probably the cheapest? and put my bar in it, along with other nice things such as a brewery, home theater room, bathroom and a garage. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks all!

-Matt

fKae31lEcP5zFOdohNv46EIMBweQzb8ZWtVt-kAYpxtwcNbb0o_aeSC4LZgTodq6LwEFpGvcSbw3L-9ufH8VUlVSiikb4XSuENa95oxkQzQYvmxxWYZOxa892BrhC4M4U1vzkF0LKmOsVvNbEqqk3-3WXKHQYMaqopHb984m-n-5FQ8rw6QcxBkQxWs-cp-SLWfZNbEtDCN2mzGFEfh48v57IkmjsrJJHeSdDsoOv11sPClRrpP65y0v95ioMtPqZocO49MYvTjq-zWZYCeK-9yp_xZ6hHdRFHpwAiYKG1UqQoI2KBHETsnHVf9_dQ2QwsAtmWdbnU0cnozC4T63lfW4dpNaK4_H2_mqc3eldPlwKN-qdjsaiEMXHuUXLJqfPjG9Jn46LJHmj_5xiUe1KzKGx1DpTpYIKe9DzkGlu6PISjcJNqo2EGDSthunUhrNvRjnldDaDmXo7GaVrjT_hkrlYjYSPIPmaNwMyLIdv3YJocQ2aIx3eRUJ_P966-P50bC2pBcomsw_stMlLQkbo6Yms4nwpyzmzDxRxSIg5shQsyJFLYUP-lmCUNL2toEFltNPbi7-HCUhLH2Hd5ovv3tNqkiWJxBc-zTPRgvkifxO8_lE8DYB=w1187-h890-no

20170829_094510.jpg
Following....working on a shop/brewery myself in r new house. Will be curious to see how this goes for you. What part of town by chance, a few of my neighbors just completed steel builds. I will follow up with them to see if they will refer ...May have to get together to brew? Roughed this layout the other day, may enclose it in till the shop comes to fruition....

Last edited:
Phil, thanks for the heads up! I heard from them today.

Skyehunter, awesome man! In my opening post, I mentioned I want my bar back... well this is the bar I am referring to:
My Home Bar Thread - Home Brew Forums
Update: I just saw on my Homebrewtalk.com thread that photobucket isn't hosting my pictures anymore. I'll post some to this thread.

I used to hold parties there all the time and a few of these fellow cruiser heads showed up so they know what I am talking about. Unfortunately, I moved away from this bar but I took everything with me except the building itself. So I am currently storing the bar, pool table and light fixtures throughout my house. I just need the to get the new building up so I could build out my bar again. Here is my rough layout of what I have planned for the 30x50 building.

bar design REV5.jpg

I live in south Chandler, near Ocotillo and Gilbert. What about you?

Last edited:

Skyehunter, awesome man! In my opening post, I mentioned I want my bar back... well this is the bar I am referring to:

I used to hold parties there all the time and a few of these fellow cruiser heads showed up so they know what I am talking about. Unfortunately, I moved away from this bar but I took everything with me except the building itself. So I am currently storing the bar, pool table and light fixtures throughout my house. I just need the to get the new building up so I could build out my bar again. Here is my rough layout of what I have planned for the 30x50 building.

View attachment 1536129

Nice!

31866_405347859859_791942_n.jpg

31866_405347894859_6172503_n.jpg

Dang, nice place!!!! I'm In New River on 1.25 acres walking distance to Tonto National forest. A bit of a drive between us but nothing homebrew won't fix :) Dang Photobucket, would love to see those pics of the man cave / brewery....

Update: I just saw on my Homebrewtalk.com thread that photobucket isn't hosting my pictures anymore. I'll post some to this thread.

View attachment 1536129

Add a bed and a kitchen and who needs a house?:beer:

Dang, nice place!!!! I'm In New River on 1.25 acres walking distance to Tonto National forest. A bit of a drive between us but nothing homebrew won't fix :) Dang Photobucket, would love to see those pics of the man cave / brewery....

Nice! I like that area up there. I figured you were on some land based on your picture. Yea, I'll have to figure out an alternative to photobucket and not pay them money.

Funner, The last bar was 18'x24' and the planned new one will be 20'x30' so having the extra room will be nice, which I think we'll have a fold out couch in or something. Also, with having a bathroom there, when hosting any parties, no one will need to go inside my house, it will be all contained. :)

I know this may sound a bit of a reach, but last year I price compared the metal shop kits on Amazon. Came in cheaper in most cases including matching spec for the buildings....

I know this may sound a bit of a reach, but last year I price compared the metal shop kits on Amazon. Came in cheaper in most cases including matching spec for the buildings....
Hmm, interesting. I'm not necessarily looking for just a metal building, but figured it would be cheapest. Do you happen to know any general contractors?

I was there one time for a party. It was cool.
When the new one is built, hope you can make another party!

So update: After getting a couple of quotes for steel buildings, I am seriously thinking of contracting out the concrete and framing it myself. (Obviously with the help of a few people). I am currently drawing up some more detailed plans to get an idea of framework and a materials list so I can compare the cost. Does anyone have any experience with going through the county for permitting? I am also looking to get some bids for the concrete work. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

So update: After getting a couple of quotes for steel buildings, I am seriously thinking of contracting out the concrete and framing it myself. (Obviously with the help of a few people). I am currently drawing up some more detailed plans to get an idea of framework and a materials list so I can compare the cost. Does anyone have any experience with going through the county for permitting? I am also looking to get some bids for the concrete work. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

Exactly where I found myself a decade ago, went ahead and built it myself. There are advantages to framing other than cost, like having wood to attach stuff to, framing bays to put insulation, plumbing, wiring in, aesthetics, etc. And drawbacks, like added maintenance for paint, roof, etc. I'm happy with my decision, mostly because it's a work area that I spend time in. If I add a covered parking structure I will have to take a look at steel construction again, especially if I don't require a pad.

The foundations for a pre engineered metal building can be pretty substantial, which they always neglect to mention when quoting the shell. If you plan on finishing the interior, wood will probably pencil out cheaper.

Exactly where I found myself a decade ago, went ahead and built it myself. There are advantages to framing other than cost, like having wood to attach stuff to, framing bays to put insulation, plumbing, wiring in, aesthetics, etc. And drawbacks, like added maintenance for paint, roof, etc. I'm happy with my decision, mostly because it's a work area that I spend time in. If I add a covered parking structure I will have to take a look at steel construction again, especially if I don't require a pad.
That's good to hear. The true defining factor will be my materials cost.

I do plan on finishing the inside of this building, insulation and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom