Stay AWAY from ALCAN SPRING!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, you have no physical proof of what you ordered?

Did they e-mail/send you a receipt describing what you ordered?

Oh, and I would think with a motorhome, ALOT of the rear weight is actually going to be transversly shifted to the front end, as well.

re_guardian... maybe I HAD to get a hotel room because my motorhome was in the shop with the springs off & the mechanic shop wouldn't let me sleep inside the shop, ever think of that?

A DOT certified scale was used, so the weights were as accurate as I knew I could make them. I've since had the motorhome weighed after the Alcan spring failure, and I can confirm that it weighed under 6,000 lbs w/ a full tank of gas & full water tank.
Of course I thought of that. That is part of arranging the remote purchase of a older vehicle that needs refurbing, combined with relying on the seller and an out-of-state vendor. Everything has to come together perfectly for you to waltz out of town without a hitch. Given your admitted inexperience at this, the fact that you had to spend a night in a hotel is inconsequential. It's just part of the game. The fact that you're broke is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

So post up the scan of thie DOT certified scale results.

Look, this is just a matter of what is probably, or improbably credible.

Of course it is POSSIBLE that the conversation with Alcan went down like this:

YOU: Uh, hey, I've heard of you guys, and hear you're good at what you do. Can I order some rear springs from you?
ALCAN: Sure, what does your truck weigh?
YOU: 7,000 lbs.
ALCAN: Cool. Where should I send them?
YOU: Well, I'm in AK, but send them to LA.
ALCAN: OK, cool. See ya...
YOU: But...
ALCAN: Oh yeah, what kind of vehicle is this for?
YOU: Uh a Tiny Toyota Motorhome. Here's the model name. You've heard of it, right? There's only a dozen on the face of the earth, you can get all the information you need, right?
ALCAN: Yep, got it. Do it all the time. Have a safe flight.
YOU: Thanks, check's in the mail...
ALCAN: uh, ok.
YOU: Seeyathanksbye.
click....

Possible? yes. And if it happened that way you got screwed, and I feel for you.

Probable that it happened that way? I'm finding that hard to believe. All requests for any hard evidence to back up your story of "he-said/he-said" are met with excuses and dodges. Combined with your newness here, your inexperience in doing this kind of thing lend credibility to the likelihood that there is more to this story than you are sharing.

That's all. Nothing personal.

You just showed up asking us to believe every part of your story without a single bit of what should be easily-obtainable and postable proof.

1. You can't provide a copy of the order form, it was all verbal over the phone.
    • I for one, find it inconceivable to order something custom, from a remote vendor half a continent away, to be shipped to a shop that I've never been to, to be installed on a vehicle I purchased remotely, and have never seen in person - without even getting the spec's in writing. Everyone knows that, and now you do too...
    • You should know that if you are buying a used, custom, likely-modified, rare, and old truck that the odds of anyone on earth knowing anything about it are slim. YOU are the expert.
    • BTW, this same RV was for sale in 2010. Same one as yours? If so, why did the purchaser sell so quickly?
  2. You can't provide any kind of scale document on the seller's weighing of the truck
  3. You can't provide side-by-side comparisons of the spring packs
  4. You can't provide new spring shops RV weights
  5. You're asking us to believe that Alcan does something almost impossibly stupid - verbal order without even asking for corner weights
  6. Can't even post up the door plate with GVWR?
Nothing, nada. No proof that Alcan screwed up, only some pics with indiscernable spring packs that lean. Can't even tell if they are Alcan's, except for your word on it.

And then you start with the threats. :rolleyes:

6) The springs shop in California wanted $350 PER SPRING to fix the springs, $700 total... I paid less than that ($650) for their very own springs.

interesting that in the email you sent to alcan that you posted you said it was $350 to fix the springs. if it was $700 to fix the springs then you are a lousy communicator. but we already knew that.

can you explain why you didn't call alcan? you obviously had time during normal business hours on a friday while you negotiated and ordered new springs, waited for the old springs to be removed, and waited for delivery and installation of a new set of springs. why would you not call alcan while you were waiting and see if they could help? it's really hard to believe calling alcan never occurred to you.

Actually, the phone call wasn't too much different than what you just described. I'm sorry I don't have any "hard" evidence, besides pictures of the sagging Alcan springs on my rig & perhaps a credit card statement w/ Alcan's name on it beside a $680 purchase. I wasn't aware that I needed to document every little thing so a reputable company wouldn't rip me off. Now I've definitely learned that lesson. I never received any documents of the vehicle weight, I simply pulled up on a scale & read the weight... in hindsight, I should have taken a picture of it, but I didn't think that it would be a problem to simply fix the springs, so I never thought about recording the weight.

I wasn't ever aware there was an order form. What is wrong with calling a company and ordering in person? I thought that was the most old school, man's-man, face-to-face deal you can make with someone else? Now I know it's not, because apparantly you can't trust even the most reputable companies to back up their products.

I could call up the California spring shop and see if they weighed the vehicle. I'm assuming they did, but maybe they didn't since they had the vehicle right in front of them and could keep adding springs until everything leveled out, I honestly don't know. Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but I've learned a lot from this situation. That doesn't change the fact that I really wish Alcan would still fix the springs so I could have a back-up pair of springs down the road.

oh, and I already explained why I didn't call Alcan.... it was just an honest mistake. I was pissed off and didn't want those particular Alcan springs on my rig because I couldn't trust them to hold it up. I was upset, so I wasn't thinking clearly & for some reason didn't call them. I admitted that mistake 1,000 times already and apologized to Alcan, but it didn't matter to them, because I didn't call them before I sent the springs back.

Sounds to me that you did zero research on your end, and "trusted" the CUSTOM fab shop to give you what you wanted, while they're 1000 miles away

Just a hint, you still don't have enough information for Alcan to"fix"the springs correctly...

oh, and I already explained why I didn't call Alcan.... it was just an honest mistake. I was pissed off and didn't want those particular Alcan springs on my rig because I couldn't trust them to hold it up. I was upset, so I wasn't thinking clearly & for some reason didn't call them. I admitted that mistake 1,000 times already and apologized to Alcan, but it didn't matter to them, because I didn't call them before I sent the springs back.

and if I'm not mistaken, they offered to "make it right" at a cost to you (as it should be) and you refused. Right?

I could call up the California spring shop and see if they weighed the vehicle. I'm assuming they did, but maybe they didn't since they had the vehicle right in front of them and could keep adding springs until everything leveled out, I honestly don't know. Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but I've learned a lot from this situation. That doesn't change the fact that I really wish Alcan would still fix the springs so I could have a back-up pair of springs down the road.

the california spring shop is the same place that did the install?

the same place that charged you $240 in labour to remove two springs they had just installed and then charged you $350 in labour to install their own springs on a truck that was already on a hoist with the old springs removed? the same place that wanted more than double what alcan does to simply add leaves to the alcan springs?

the same place who you took at their word that the alcan springs were bad?

the same place that alcan didn't get a chance to question.

the same place where you did not take close up photos of the installation of the alcan springs so alcan could verify they were installed properly?

the california spring shop is the same place that did the install?

the same place that charged you $240 in labour to remove two springs they had just installed and then charged you $350 in labour to install their own springs on a truck that was already on a hoist with the old springs removed? the same place that wanted more than double what alcan does to simply add leaves to the alcan springs?

the same place who you took at their word that the alcan springs were bad?

the same place that alcan didn't get a chance to question.

the same place where you did not take close up photos of the installation of the alcan springs so alcan could verify they were installed properly?

He doesn't seem to understand this logic

oh, and I already explained why I didn't call Alcan.... it was just an honest mistake. I was pissed off and didn't want those particular Alcan springs on my rig because I couldn't trust them to hold it up.

so you deliberately denied alcan the chance to fix it in the hopes of getting a refund instead.

can we close the thread now?

He doesn't seem to understand this logic

what's not to understand about the spring shop logic?

dude comes in. as per my advance quote i only charge him $240 to remove s***ty old springs and install new ones. then i charge him the $590 to do the way easier job of removing those brand new springs and installing brand new ones. plus i sell him my own springs.

woohoo

Man, getting tired of responding to so many attacks. I'm about done for the day.

1) No, my mechanic in LA put on/took off the Alcan springs. A different spring shop in LA built & installed the California new springs.

2) No, I don't have all of the weight specs for Alcan. I was waiting for them to agree to fix the springs before I go pay to have the vehicle weighed in each corner with a detailed weight report.

3) Yes, I did do a TON of research on what spring company to pick, and I decided Alcan because I've been 4 wheeling for about 15 years and have heard a lot of good things about them over the years.

4) Yes, I refused their "fix", because I didn't sign up to buy $980 springs, I signed up to buy $680 springs that were supposed to hold up my ride in the first place. Furthermore, I simply could/can not afford to pay an additional $300 to fix the springs + an additional $350 to ship them back.

None of this will ever happen again, because I'm going to document everything, take pictures of the brand name in clear view, and call immediately the second the product fails (I have always actually called when a product failed in the past, I was just really pissed & not thinking clear at the time, sorry, honest mistake, obviously learned my lesson already).

Go sit in the corner, dumbass.

Clearly you implied that he should not trust a particular spring builder to ask the right questions and build proper springs. And now you're faulting him for providing his experience so others might learn from it.

Any legitimate custom manufacturer of any product like this will ask for every required dimension before building - and have the buyer sign off on the agreed specs for which it is to be built. Unfortunately the warning signs of questionable practices were not obvious to someone who is not knowledgeable in suspension.

can we close the thread now?

or at least move it to P&R where it can die a slow death. Nothing more is going to come of this discussion, it's like Global Climate Change, or Abortion, or Boys Kissing or blah blah blah. We have begun the infinite loop of non-consensus.

There is nothing in this thread that would cause me not to purchase from Alcan again.

Man, getting tired of responding to so many attacks. I'm about done for the day.

1) No, my mechanic in LA put on/took off the Alcan springs. A different spring shop in LA built & installed the California new springs.

you paid $240 to put the old springs back on just to take it to a different shop to install the new springs and then paid that shop to remove the old ones again?

but you wouldn't pick up the phone to call alcan and get some help?

Clearly you implied that he should not trust a particular spring builder to ask the right questions and build proper springs. And now you're faulting him for providing his experience so others might learn from it.

Any legitimate custom manufacturer of any product like this will ask for every required dimension before building - and have the buyer sign off on the agreed specs for which it is to be built. Unfortunately the warning signs of questionable practices were not obvious to someone who is not knowledgeable in suspension.

No,
Clearly I have implied that he has admitted to not having any documentation of the info he gave them, nor does he have documentation of "buying off" on the agreed specs.

"Unfortunately the warning signs of questionable practices were not obvious to someone who is not knowledgeable in suspension."

Again, "questionable practices"?
They build off of the info they're given. Period.
If he was (is) a newbie to the suspension game, why are there not 15 million "what about" questions from him in the multitude of threads all over the net, let alone here, about the subject?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom