Starter Comms — What should I get for basic comms to let me start joining group runs, etc? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

get a CB, or get a license. binary option there. a baofeng or a wouxhaun is just a fail all around. no FCC approval for either.
I love my fancy Yaesu equipment but Baofeng makes a great handheld for trail use and/or ham beginners. The battery life is really great, transmission is clear, and the low price of $25 allows more people to get into the hobby.

The Baofeng has quality issues including poor audio, with spurious emissions not meeting FCC standards. It's the Dodge Neon of the radio world.
True, but I have found that it is a useful tool for getting the "CB is good enough" crowd familiar with the use and operation of ham radio. I consider it a $25 stepping stone into a larger world. Almost everyone in our local club that started with a UV5R now has a real mobile setup in their rigs. They are also very useful for jumping out and spotting at a distance.
They can be dropped, stepped on, run over, and still work without issue when needed.

...or discarded in the waste bin. A basic amateur license isn't a difficult goal, and allows you to use a real radio.

You should be obtaining a callsign if you're serious about comms at all.

On another thread I mentioned a Baofeng UV-5R in an offhand remark. So for grins and giggles I went to eBay and bought one and the programming cable/software. The software was crap but the cable worked with Chirp for programming (free software). So for $27 I have an HT to replace my Icom that died in October. I can loan it out, leave it on a rock or drive over it and not loose any sleep. Current price I saw was about $21 each for black ones. If you want fancy colors its more. You can get one for each vehicle in your group and one person can program them all. Since all will be getting their license, you can get Callsign License plates :) .

Larry in El Paso

20210121_160301.jpg

Something like this.

Larry in El Paso

...or discarded in the waste bin. A basic amateur license isn't a difficult goal, and allows you to use a real radio.

You should be obtaining a callsign if you're serious about comms at all.
Where in my post did I say that I didn't have a license? All of the ham operators in my club have at least a tech, and the club reimburses the cost of the exams.

Those interested in a ham license may have already heard about the change coming down from the FCC. The effective date has yet to be announced but there will be a $35 license fee (new, renewal, vanity) imposed. So the application /test processing fee is still $15 (for now), when the license fee kicks in it'll be $50.

January 29th is the date of increase. You will also need an email address and the local club is requesting you get a FRN (register with the FCC) prior to the test. This weekend is the last chance if you haven't got you license or need to renew.

Larry in El Paso

I'm a VEC for our club. I called ARRL (spoke to Amanda) and she told me the effective date for the license fee has not been announced (they don't know when it's going into effect). The effective date for requiring and email address is 6/29/2021.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I assume the license term remains at 10 years?

Yes

Still no fee for HAM testing / licensing at this point. My SO just passed her Tech and thanks to a great local club it was 100% free.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoJ
I’m a HAM guy and have one for both of my Cruisers but recognizing the popularity of GMRS decided to add one. View attachment 2719985
The GMRS mobiles are real radios. I'm a Ham, but the fact my kids and spotters (to just name a couple) can communicate with me is a way bigger plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom