Start-up Rattle Experiment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is simply an FYI, not an oil thread or an argument. You may want to experiment if you're interested.
I've been running Mobil 0W-40 for a number of years, and in various vehicles. On my '93 1FZ-FE I'd started noticing start-up rattle (cam chain) that lasted one or two seconds. I was also running the large Napa Gold filter. This vehicle does not burn or leak oil, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the oil between changes. I noted that I had about 5,700 miles on this oil; it was time to change the oil IMO.
I got a Denso filter, but the small size (if you don't know what I'm talking about do a search), and I had a case of Costco Chevron Supreme 5W-30 dino juice in the garage already. Results: I've done a few cold, morning starts, a couple days to drain down, and had zero rattle. I know I've introduced two variables which makes this a poor experiment regarding speed of oil pressurization, but take it for what it's worth.
Scotty

IMG_0411.jpg

Update: I'm impressed. The rig sat for well over a week, and it's been cold. Started it up this morning with a careful ear: no indication whatsoever of cam chain tensioner allowing any rattle/slack.
So, try dino oil, as spec'd, and a small filter and let's hear your experience.

Napa Gold filter - may have been the problem, made by WIx. Big no-no.

Napa Gold filter - may have been the problem, made by WIx. Big no-no.

Good point, although I did experience some rattle before with other branded filters, like K&N.

The anti-drainback valve inside the oil filter is one of the critical elements contributing to the loss of oil from the oil galleys when the engine sits. I've had two filters years ago where that valve/flap failed to seal which caused increased start-up rattle as they completely drained out overnight.

The oil filter internal valve/flap is apparently more important in the 1FZFE engine due to the horizontal position of the filter (quote from a discussion with a Mobil 1 engineer type).

Interesting that Toyota changed the spec to the small filter in ?1995/96; that could have been tied to complaints of start-up rattle (IDK) but also the smaller filter has a higher bypass valve pressure range so it doesn't bypass quite as easily (different topic)

It would be a good data point to add if next time you again installed the small Denso filter with your usual Mobil 1 0W-40 to see if the start-up rattle was still gone. That would narrow it down (no rattle) to the filter.

I have a 94 1fzfe with the small denso filter that has a startup rattle after sitting overnight. I usually park level but I have recently begun to park it slightly nose up (2 to 5 degrees). Parked nose up I don't get the startup rattle. The rattle always bothered me but I had no idea how to eliminate it. I will continue to park nose up and see if this is consistent. Anyone else experience this?

I've got a early 1FZ with the ratcheting tensioner so no rattle for me no matter what. I use the big WIX 51515 and some 10w-30 dino juice or semi synth and she's golden.

I have the little Ford 90* filter adapter and have had zero rattle since installing.

Speedytech7: There's been a couple of MUD members who've had WIX filters fail
causing engine damage.

Speedytech7: There's been a couple of MUD members who've had WIX filters fail
causing engine damage.

I'm aware, the sample size of failures is too small to concern me though and their filter media is better than similarly priced competition.

If we condensed all the don't-by-this-brand threads because of Failure X, Y, or Z on the various forums there would be no filters left to buy. The only exception is Fram... that one is universally hated.

I switched to the small OEM filter and it eliminated my chain rattle that I was getting from the large filters.

I had start up rattle very consistently when my truck sat for more than a couple days. Then, I installed a kill switch (cuts power to the fuel pump relay). Now, I crank the engine for 5-8 seconds or so with the switch open, flip the kill switch to on, and then start it. Since then, no start up rattle ever. So, my kill switch solved two problems for me (theft and rattle). I've played around with different oil filters before and after the kill switch installation, so I can't comment on how the oil filter affects my startup engine noise.

Wow, I have a constant noticeable but not scary loud rattle/knock I found using a stethoscope on the tensioner (5k miles new) and use the Mobil one Large filter and 15w-40 Delvac oil. I was pricing out new timing chain replacements. I have to try this first. The knock is the lower pitched sound. Sound familiar to anyone here? I hope.

I switched to the small OEM filter and it eliminated my chain rattle that I was getting from the large filters.
Hey, just wondering the part number and where you got the small filter.

Hey, just wondering the part number and where you got the small filter.
I order mine through McGeorge Toyota on line. I bring in 10 oil filters and 10 oil plug gaskets. This offsets overall shipping costs. I'm about $4.00 per filter when I do it this way including freight.

Walmart now sells the same Toyota filter for about $6.50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom