SSDS - Stupid and Selfish Dealership Stories (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From my notes:

Denso: 453-1019
Wix: 24511
Toyota: 87139-50100

I believe these are both cheaper than the Toyota part. I would guess the Denso is the OEM. The Wix part i gave is charcoal activated or something like that. I have bought the Wix.

I can’t figure out how to do links from the Amazon app, but I’ve used this one several times on both a ‘13 and a ‘16.

EPAuto CP285 (CF10285) Premium Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon​

There appears to also be a K&N one. Surely that's good for a few HP. Maybe a few more if they will send you a sticker with it.

STP and Fram make them as well, or so says VatoZone.

I went to my local Toyota dealer to get an oil change on my 14’ 4Runner, they pulled it around after they were done and left it running- I got in it and...the oil light was on. I got out, turned off the truck, pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. They forgot to put oil in it. All the oil guys stopped and and ran over to fill it with oil, service manager pulled it in the back to see if it was pulling any codes. None. The owner of the dealership came over to talk to me about it, never looked me in the eye and had a big grin on his face the whole time. Offered to wash the truck for free...I lost my temper and stormed out.

I went to my local Toyota dealer to get an oil change on my 14’ 4Runner, they pulled it around after they were done and left it running- I got in it and...the oil light was on. I got out, turned off the truck, pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. They forgot to put oil in it. All the oil guys stopped and and ran over to fill it with oil, service manager pulled it in the back to see if it was pulling any codes. None. The owner of the dealership came over to talk to me about it, never looked me in the eye and had a big grin on his face the whole time. Offered to wash the truck for free...I lost my temper and stormed out.

The local dealer service department did that to mine also (already documented here). If I recall correctly the new short block plus parts cost them $15k.

WP_20150728_002.jpg

And they broke my recirc door also, among other things.

I had a Toyota dealer in Colorado walk up to me and show me a dirty cabin air filter and ask me if I would like to change it for $50.

I told him that is NOT my cabin air filter because I write on the filter in sharpie marker when I changed it last so I remember how long it’s been in there.

He stared at me awkwardly and said that he must have confused me with another customer.

I had a Toyota dealer in Colorado walk up to me and show me a dirty cabin air filter and ask me if I would like to change it for $50.

I told him that is NOT my cabin air filter because I write on the filter in sharpie marker when I changed it last so I remember how long it’s been in there.

He stared at me awkwardly and said that he must have confused me with another customer.
That's amazing. I usually called out that BS before based on the fact the air filter I was shown wasn't the same size as my car, but this response is next level.

Like other folks here, I lock my glove compartment box and take the key with me. I just tell service advisor to have the tech leave the filter on my passenger seat. Luckily they they only one particular tech work on my 200 when it goes in as he’s the most familiar with them. If he leaves, not sure what I would do. Might have to move near Ed Martin. 🤣

I’ve mentioned this here before, but when I went in for a transmission TSB they gave me a “complimentary check up” (I specifically asked them to not do anything except the TSB), where they told me I needed both engine and cabin filters. Well, clearly they didn’t check it, since the glovebox door was locked and I had the physical key. I called them out on it and the tech admitted to the service writer that he hadn’t even looked, but “they usually need them at this mileage”. I had replaced it myself a few weeks prior, and again, the door was locked and I had the only key. The only positive thing I can say is at least they admitted their dishonesty.

Like other folks here, I lock my glove compartment box and take the key with me. I just tell service advisor to have the tech leave the filter on my passenger seat. Luckily they they only one particular tech work on my 200 when it goes in as he’s the most familiar with them. If he leaves, not sure what I would do. Might have to move near Ed Martin. 🤣
What dealership and tech do you work with?

What dealership and tech do you work with?
Knoxville Toyota, not sure what the techs name is, I just know he’s the only who the most knowledgeable to work on them. Hopefully, others are paying attention when he is.

Just had a terrible experience with Brent Brown Toyota, UT. Bought our 2013 LX570 remote as we were on the other side of the country winding down full time RV life and purchasing a home in Boise, ID. Now I have bought our past several cars remotely, site unseen and have been super happy with the vehicles I received. I had them take detailed undercarriage photos, the vehicle has meticulous maintenance records all done at the dealer which generally indicate a well cared for vehicle. The salesman (PM me if you want to know who to avoid) swore up and down this thing was a diamond (his words) absolutely beautiful condition, no weird smells, issues, drives beautifully, he would not hesitate to sell this car to his own children.

fast forward a week and the car is delivered to Boise. Open the door and I am smacked in the face by cigarettes and whatever industrial air freshener they tried to cover it up with.

The dealer basically cleaned the vehicle just enough to look good on FaceTime. It is absolutely disgusting inside. Bad to the point that if this was an Uber I would get out and try again. Ash tray was still full of cigarette butts and ash. 12v socket is so full of ash I had to vacuum it out and clean with rubbing alcohol and qtips to actually get power from it. Everything is coated in grey smoke residue. I paid cash and from what Itell UTs used car laws are all about protecting the seller not the buyer so I think I am stuck.

I have a million other things going on so the car hasn’t got much attention and I am so annoyed by it I don’t really want to. Giving the front a proper cleaning and a couple passes over the front seats with leather cleaner has reduced 80% of the smell. I still need to do the back and have a professional restoration service coming to neutralize the odor tomorrow. (Assumed they just used an ozone generator but they said they pump the cabin full of a fog that will sit for about 2 hours then suck it back out. Will see how that goes but full refund if I’m not happy.)

I plan to keep the truck because I can’t in good conscience sell the truck to another family.

The upside is, no rust, it does appear mechanically in excellent condition. Drives great, AHC, 4Lo, DiffLock all cycle perfectly.

Next steps will be disassembling the dash so I can fully clean out the HVAC system then ripping out all of the carpet and spraying in bedliner. Will see if I can find a local upholstery shop that can redo the headliner. I may just tackle this myself as I will partially drop it to run some wire anyways. The seats seem odorless after a couple rounds of deep scrubbing and leather conditioner so I think that should take care of all the permeable surfaces.

Last edited:
Knoxville Toyota, not sure what the techs name is, I just know he’s the only who the most knowledgeable to work on them. Hopefully, others are paying attention when he is.
Thought you were in CO, sorry.

Thought you were in CO, sorry.
I was, but moved. I did take my last two 200’s to Mountain states Toyota ‘Lakewood’with good luck

Useless Lexus dealer in Alaska accused me of getting road rash on all 4 of my loaner car’s wheels. I drove it to my garage/dealer and told him it was physically impossible for that to occur based on where I took it.

They dug in records for 3 hours and found reported road rash from a previous loaner. The service manager then had the balls to email me asking him to rank him all “10s”. I told him to **** off.

For those of you living near Colorado Springs, Larry Miller Liberty Toyota on E. Woodman Rd gave me a 30% "internet" discount on all parts. I saved $231 this morning on Toyota suspension items. They were incredibly helpful and really wanted my business. I do not know if they will ship. Ask for Charlie or Melanie and you'll need to ask for the 30% internet discount. 719-419-5832.

One of the salesman asked indirectly if I was interested in selling my '08 Land Cruiser. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom