Square driveshaft's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just thought I'd chime in.

Picked up a Mini 45 degree Double Cardan joint at a local yard for $50 and had it lengthened and balanced for $70. They even used the slip section from the LC d-shaft. I just redrilled my flange at the t-case and done. Plenty of travel and strong as can be. $120 is pretty cheap for a great drive shaft.

You sure tony, my square shaft uses about 6-7" of its travel with stock springs Sprung over and Shackles reversed.

Most of the Travel is out when the PS tire drops away and forward

So if I am going t link my front end I may not even need a long travel driveshaft?

Most likely, no. That is one of hte nice things about running links. I use about 3" of slip in my 40. Stock U joints work just fine.

You sure tony, my square shaft uses about 6-7" of its travel with stock springs Sprung over and Shackles reversed.

Yep checked it out the other day. everything looked pretty good.

Hey Isotel, how much compression do you have available sitting at stock height? All the research when I did my shaft ,said I only need a little over an inch for compression (SOA height) on the front shaft. Now am thinking I might need to shorten the shaft a bit to get more compression.

yeah no kidding (sorry bout the hyjack by the way). How much slip do you have available (figure your SOA?)

In the front I have about 16" of slip. I'm running a four spline up front. I use a lot of it with a SOA and pretty extreme shackle angles.

In the rear I use about 2" of travel because I have a four link. I found that being really twisted up could cause my bumpstop to be completely compressed and the drive shaft would punch out the front of the transfer case.

Or...you could buy reciever hitch 2.5" .25 square , seam removed.

Anyway, please tell me the only reason to run square is the cost.
If you want drag it on rocks they do make heavy wall DOM round. Round is far stronger in twist loads.
I've never seen a gun drilled square axle in a drag car

This really isn't that hard. It sounds like you already have all the answers, so why are you asking?

For the inner tube I would highly recommend using 2" 1/4" wall and just grinding a small groove in the one side that aligns with the weld seam on the inside of the outer tube. Clear as mud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom