Spring perches, steering knuckle arms for SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, two boat restorations later, and I'm thinking about continuing my '85 FJ60 rebuild (original thread here: Getting Back into Cruisers - '85 FJ60 Build Thread)

I've got a couple questions for those of you who are in the know: 1) Who's making ready to weld spring perches for a spring over conversion? 2) and is anyone making a tried and true steering knuckle arm replacement for spring over conversions - either something that gets the tie rod over the leaf springs or a split arm that keeps the tie rod below the leaf springs but the drag link above?

It's been a LONG time since I was in the 'Cruiser scene - Butch Built days in Napa Valley back in 1995 with FJ40s, SM420's, Saginaw steering boxes, and shackle reversals. Go easy on me for being out of the loop these days. Thanks.

One other thing: Those of you doing SOA conversions on 60s, are you cutting a turning the front axle?

Thanks,
David

Just read your old thread. Happy to see you back on here wanting to get it back on the road. I’ve got limited knowledge on SOA, but I know Marlin Crawler sells a high steer kit and they have spring perches (not sure if they are compatible with our axle tubes or not). Perches are under the suspension category.

High Steer Kit Link

The times have definitely changed and overlanding is a lifestyle. Used to be about big tires and flex. Now it’s about LED light conversions and RTTs. I like the way SOA 60’s look, I’ve never driven one, and I won’t be doing it to mine. That’s a big jump but I like the way it is.

Oh and yes on the cut and turn. I know that’s a good thing in the SOA world. Sounds like the angle will vary based on spring choice, load carried, etc.

Ruffstuff has a pretty good SOA kit, coupled with Chevy 63" springs in the rear is a pretty good set up in my opinion

6 stud hysteer is what I am running and I have been very happy for over 10 years. I also recommend upgrading to chevy 1 ton steeering. It's relatively cheap assuming you need new tie rod ends anyways.

Luke at 4x4 labs and ruffstuff will have everything you need.

How deep down the rabbit hole of SOA do you want togo is the question. I did a cut and turn on the front axle. I upgraded to tundra calipers in the front and trailgear thicker wiper plates.

FF654D3D-BC82-477B-AA9B-C8CA765F481F.jpeg
2F9A7CA1-0E09-4BD1-840F-63E956DD47A4.jpeg

Just read your old thread. Happy to see you back on here wanting to get it back on the road.

Hey, thank you for the reply and perspective. Now that I find myself stuck at home, working remotely, I think I just might have time to get back in the garage and get this project rolling.

Ruffstuff has a pretty good SOA kit, coupled with Chevy 63" springs in the rear is a pretty good set up in my opinion

I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead! Much appreciated.

6 stud hysteer is what I am running and I have been very happy for over 10 years.

How deep down the rabbit hole of SOA do you want togo is the question. I did a cut and turn on the front axle. I upgraded to tundra calipers in the front and trailgear thicker wiper plates.

Thanks for the hysteer recommendation. I also see Marlin is making the arms. Yeah, how deep? Not too deep. I'm mostly interested in getting the 60 back together, but making it a bit cooler, versatile, and more fun to drive in the process. I don't think I'm going to go the crawler route like I did with my old 40.

ruffstuff and 4x4labs is where I got my SOA parts from. definitely you should upgrade the steering arms to GM parts...that stock 60 series draglink and tie rod are woefully inadequate if you're going to wheel it.

Ya know, if you wanted to really catch up check out Trail Taylor’s coil spring front conversion,
and there are others. SOA is so old fashioned :flipoff2:. LOL! Don’t take this too serious, just fun’n
with you. But there are other options that have come along, and all it takes is money and time.

I got the Ruffstuff SOA Kit, Marlin Crawler High steer kit, Marlin Crawler axle seals, Trail Gear knuckle rebuild kit, Chevy 63s for rear. Rear stock leafs moved to front with a OME add a leaf from Cruiser Outfitters. Bilstein 7100 shocks. Cut and turned the front axle with a DC joint on front axle. My 60 drives better SOA on 37s than it did SUA. That’s with a Rooftop Tent, front bumper, rear tire carrier, sliders and winch, 4BT and NV4500 5 speed.

I got the Ruffstuff SOA Kit, Marlin Crawler High steer kit, Marlin Crawler axle seals, Trail Gear knuckle rebuild kit, Chevy 63s for rear. Rear stock leafs moved to front with a OME add a leaf from Cruiser Outfitters. Bilstein 7100 shocks. Cut and turned the front axle with a DC joint on front axle. My 60 drives better SOA on 37s than it did SUA. That’s with a Rooftop Tent, front bumper, rear tire carrier, sliders and winch, 4BT and NV4500 5 speed.

I also did the Marlin Crawler kit (back in the day it came with heavy duty DOM replacement tie rod and drag link and FJ80 steering ends and drop pitman arm. Probably still does). Worked great for me.

I did the SOA with the cut and turn as well. I had a double cardan shaft in the front so I never experienced any vibration front (or rear for that matter). I used the Ruff stuff kit for this (with some modifications).

I just took apart and beefed up my stock springs with full length add a leaves. They flexed really nice, kept it somewhat low and it was a pretty comfortable ride. After that I re-geared the differentials you’re 4:56 ratio. Very nice 👍.

All that being said, if I had it all to do over, I would do an Old Man Emu 2.5”- 3” lift, 33’s or 35’s, I’d get a more stout option for my tie rod and drag link and I’d re-gear the transfer case instead of the differentials.
Ohh yeah!!: I’d put a selectable locker in the rear. That is something I always wished that I had.

Bottom line, the SOA was so much work that I’d never do it again. And I’m a welder for a living!
It was fun. Super fun process. But there ARE better options.

For wheeling (when it's not off camber) I love the SOA. When we hit a hard tippy section in the trail I with I had 35's SUA.

A SUAd one right can be really nice.

Soda Canyon Rd. is etched in my mind. The Bostons(Harley, Lacie, Spike and Bubba, Panda the lab/rotweiller running around, the rock pile and all the eye candy to see. I spent a good amount of time loving it there. I'm lucky to be maintaining Butchs' fleet of flexy soa sr saginaw Cruisers @OkTireStore up the Napa Valley in St. Helena with Chad who bought the business and his brother Sean, owner of OkTire. It's been ten years, so I can proudly talk about it as a partnership. Given the chance, Butch would be telling us what to do.
Swing in if you ever have the chance. We'd enjoy having you. Might be surprised at what we've turned out. ButchBuilt
Doug@Oktire

F5A36755-4921-4D83-B696-672804457986_1_105_c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom