sprayed my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lslc.org
Ok so I got tired of jacking up my fender flares and mud flaps every time I went wheeling so I took the plunge. Watcha think? It's not a new idea but a little different on the execution. I had the shop spray on an auto coating that is a lot less rough then bedliner. It almost matches the snorkel perfect in terms of texture. And while it serves a wholly functional purpose it is a little on the bling side. I just couldn’t stand all the plastic nutserts. And I didn’t want to paint a vehicle that I knew good and well would just get more trail pinstripes. So flame on.

I like it. No flames coming from my direction.

looking good......love the 80 minus the fenders. what exactly is the compound that is applied? i like!

I like what you have done. I am planning on keeping my flares but spraying them with a similar product. I have used DupliColor Bed Linner on my Kaymar roof rack and I like the texture of that finish so I might just go with it on the flares. I went to a shop and asked them how much they would charge to spray Line-X on the four flares if I do all the prep (i.e. remove, scuff, wax and grease remove etc.), and they said $35.00 per flare. I don't know that much about Line-X product or how it differs from other similar products but the guy did say that you have to be a distributer or a shop to be able to get Line-X. I wonder if it would be worth my going that route or doing it myself with something like the DupliColor product?

Also, I haven't really looked that closely at the removal process but it does look like it is not going to be a simple task> How do you get to all or the nuts? Do you have to drop the wheel wells to get in there or is there some other way? I sure would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to best remove them and re-installing. Also, I was told that the rubber strip moulding would have to be replaced with new ones because they are applind with adhesive tape and it would be difficult to remove the old tape without ruining the moulding strip.???

all mine either got torn off or when i removed them i wasnt planning on putting them back on so take this with a grain of salt.

there aren't any "nuts" holding them on as you might guess. the slide to a kind of T shaped mount. i took a rubber malet and gave it a couple of good wacks in on the front of the fender (so hitting from front to back) and it lostened it up to where i could work it off.

by no means is this to be taken as the the "official removel of fender flares thread" but it worked for me and didnt even jack up the fenders. GOOD luck.

EDIT: o rmaybe that wack was hitting it up. who knows they are not that bad to get off. and this is my way for fixing most problems. start with a rubber hammer and if that doesnt work get something bigger! :p

AWESOME!

I plan on doing the same here shortly...mind telling us how much they charged you?

I am going with the Dupont liner for the lower two tone (mine is the same color) and....

I may be going for the upper color matched as well with a lighter coating...I am interested in knowing the product to research it...looks lighter than bedliner so it may be for me!

Good work!

Looks sweet! I'll be doing that too when I get my 80. I'll probably go with Line-X as I have heard very good things about them.

I like. :cheers:
Sean

My flares were a little jacked up when I started so they were fairly easy to remove. (Read
Rip them off) so the only place you have true nuts to deal with is in the rears. Those can easily be accessed by taking off the plastic trim. To do it right without breaking anything you have to work from the inside. Easy in the back a bugger in the front. As far as the strips go you will have to get new ones if you plan on putting them back on.

The material is called solataine sp? It is a water based coating that is applied with standard HVLP setups. The downside is that it is pretty much paint so a lot more prep work has to go into it. After all the holes were migged in they then went over it with bondo and or fiberglass. After sanding a primer grey was added followed by a flat black. The last step was to insure the fact that even if I did happen to scratch some off on the trail it would not be noticeable. The upside is that it is paint. I’ve seen the toughest bedliner peel off so I did not want to happen. Since this is paint there is really no chance of that. The texture is also a lot less radical then a spray on bedliner. I was kinda turned off by getting a lot of grit and grime in the bedliner and having to clean it out with a brush as apposed to just spraying it off. The price was the only thing that has been less than ideal. It was 750 bucks. And I know I could have got the bedliner for cheaper but I like this process more. As far as the price goes though I should mention that I did NO prep work to get the flares done. I ripped them off, took out all the nutserts, and drilled out the brackets. They had to deal with 30 holes and a lot of grime to get it paint able so my hats are off to them.

Kunz as far as spraying the whole truck hold off on it a while buddy. I know a guy in my club that just had his entire rig sprayed and all I can say is the jury is still out.
After I see him wheel it I'll let you know. He just had it sprayed last week so it is still untested.

:cheers:
Nick

Looks darn good.
liebe013.gif
I'm sure it will help post wheeling too.

How much if you don't mind and what product?

Best part may be you could sell your flares to pay for it based on the guys that always want them. :flipoff2:

Hey Darkangel, here's your chance to get even...

Ed

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=6152;start=msg49749#msg49749 date=1065837663]
Looks darn good.
liebe013.gif
I'm sure it will help post wheeling too.

How much if you don't mind and what product?

Best part may be you could sell your flares to pay for it based on the guys that always want them. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Cawm awn Junk don't tell me they were working on your eyes... Maybe you have just been self gratifying too much since you have had the time. :-*

Whatever the case to recap it was 750 :'( But it's pretty bitchin up close. I let you know if it stands up to the Texas Thicket. Again it's good to see you back, as your moma is a sad excuse for a proper reach around... :flipoff2:

That looks really nice. Do you have any pictures from the front? Just curious how it looks straight on with out the flares. Also do your wheels stick out far past the body?

-Bryan

[quote author=Mr.Bryan link=board=2;threadid=6152;start=msg50037#msg50037 date=1065977728]
That looks really nice. Do you have any pictures from the front? Just curious how it looks straight on with out the flares. Also do your wheels stick out far past the body?

-Bryan
[/quote]

They do stick out a bit but not that much. I can get you a pic in a bit. I run 305/70 16's so I'm sure with say 315's it may be worse.
;)Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom