SPOA using FJ62 axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've run 35-38" tires on semi-floaters with no ill effect, almost all US and Canadian trucks are SF. Personally, I think 33-35" tires are small and not really stressing out the axles, unless your a rock crawler, then that's another story.
GG

I had to grind the ring gear on my 4.88's, and haven't had any problems. Probably a good idea to smooth all your edges after grinding to avoid stress risers. Are you putting these axles under a suzuki? I don't think you'll have to worry about breaking anything with a lightweight/small engined rig like that. The Aussie locker hasn't broken on me yet either, just follow the instructions and measure all the clearances like they say to.

(Stumpalama!, what are you doing in the 60 section (gonna get a 60??)!:bounce:)

I've run 35-38" tires on semi-floaters with no ill effect, almost all US and Canadian trucks are SF. Personally, I think 33-35" tires are small and not really stressing out the axles, unless your a rock crawler, then that's another story.
GG

Rock crawling ? not that much here.Mainly whatever has to do with mud.Mudholes ,steep muddy hills,e.t.c

I had to grind the ring gear on my 4.88's, and haven't had any problems. Probably a good idea to smooth all your edges after grinding to avoid stress risers. Are you putting these axles under a suzuki? I don't think you'll have to worry about breaking anything with a lightweight/small engined rig like that. The Aussie locker hasn't broken on me yet either, just follow the instructions and measure all the clearances like they say to.

(Stumpalama!, what are you doing in the 60 section (gonna get a 60??)!:bounce:)

good.yes I m going to put those axles under a 1.6 16v Sidekick.
Small motor but the low ratio will be something around 6,5:1.
But yes,its a lightweight vehicle.

You'll be fine, I ran my 2f powered 40 with a detroit and 4.88's for years around Moab, never did bust a rear shaft. I'm going to one tons because I am replacing the rest of the drivetrain, otherwise, I trust the sf rear to most activities.

ok,I need your help please.
I read some of the build ups ,spoa FJ60/62 axles.
Very helpful,but I m feeling a bit confused with the following:

From what aome friends told me and from what I ve read,when doing the SPOA ,I must maintain the factory caster angle on the front axle.

Furthermore,If I ll need to cut and turn ,which I think I LL need to,things get more complicated.(I m going to use OME Dakar YJ's 2" lift leafs SPOA ,5 pack leaf all around)

so,

1-SInce I dont have an FJ62 around here,what is the factory caster angle ? What is its relation with pinion angle ? can I use both ?
This is relative with the angle of the perches I m going to weld.

2-Cut and Turn.At what distance from the and of the housing is the cuting point and how much depth ?

3- I should know 1- first in order to obtain factory caster after cut and turn ?

4-Any guidelines about the angle -castor mesuring on FJ60/62 axles ? Like steps lets say?

Sorry for the many questions,I know how to set up a coil suspension but with leafs ,Im a bit lost ....and Till now I didnt have to cut and turn,this last one is a nightmare for me....

Thanks

You need to set the caster angle with the weight of the truck on the front axle. The caster should be set to 5* tilted back.

Cut into the front housing about 1/2" in from the end of the housing.

As for the pinion angle, that depends on what driveshaft you're using. If you're using the stock driveshaft, then make the pinion angle equal to the angle that the front output of the transfercase is. If you're using a DC driveshaft, then make the pinion in line with the driveshaft.

You need to set the caster angle with the weight of the truck on the front axle. The caster should be set to 5* tilted back.

ok,thanks.
I did that to my current set up,hybrid front axle.I have 6 deg caster tilted back.What confused me is that I was told that I should not mess with caster with this FJ62 axle,and maintain the factory caster.But I have just the axles and dont know at which angle the front axle is set.Should I assume that a stock FJ62 has the spring perches parallel to the ground and so measure caster with that assumption ?
If so,
1-I measure with the perches parallel to the ground the caster,and note that down,
2-then assemble (tackle weld) leafs ,perches ,then again a bit of weld to hold them on the frame so that the truck sits on them
3-then adjust the perches (rotate axle to the desired pinion angle) and weld the perches.
4-Then cut and turn the knuckles to the desired -factory caster ?

Is this sequence ok ?

Thanks

Yes. The measurement you do before starting won't matter that much however because the perches might not be perfectly level with the ground when mounted on the springs with the weight of the truck on it. The angle is affected by a spring's arch, shackle length, etc.

I've known trucks that didn't bother with a cut and turn, especially with an auto, the drive shaft is fairly long. I'm assuming your doing a SOA on a 60 series. You could try sending a message to Mud member Mud_Guppie and see how it worked out for him. I wheel with the truck all the time and it works well, he does have an anti-wrap bar on the rear axle.
GG

Nevermind, I see you putting these under a 'Zuki. I'm guessing you'll need a cut and turn, front drive shaft will be short. May need a CV in the front drive shaft, this helped my driveline issues on my SOA 40 series.

Last edited:
I've known trucks that didn't bother with a cut and turn, especially with an auto, the drive shaft is fairly long. I'm assuming your doing a SOA on a 60 series. You could try sending a message to Mud member Mud_Guppie and see how it worked out for him. I wheel with the truck all the time and it works well, he does have an anti-wrap bar on the rear axle.
GG

Nevermind, I see you putting these under a 'Zuki. I'm guessing you'll need a cut and turn, front drive shaft will be short. May need a CV in the front drive shaft, this helped my driveline issues on my SOA 40 series.

Its a 2door Sidekick.I m also have the FJ62 driveshafts.One (the short one) was DC and Im using that on the rear.I have double t-cases (Sidekick and Samurai behind it using OTT kicker 3 adaptor),so the front t-case output goes more to the rear than stock,so I might be able to get away with the long FJ62 driveshaft after cuting and balancing it to the desired length.If its not going to work ,I ll get a DC for the front.

Yes. The measurement you do before starting won't matter that much however because the perches might not be perfectly level with the ground when mounted on the springs with the weight of the truck on it. The angle is affected by a spring's arch, shackle length, etc.

ok,but do you know or give me a hint about where should I search,to find what is the caster angle for a stock SPUA FJ60/62 ?

I think that would help.Or its not so significant ?
I m not feeling so confident about what I should do ,because as I said I was told that I MUST maintain the factory caster.If noone had told me that,I would just set a caster angle at 5 deg tilted to the back and that was all.

Does someone know at which distance from the edge of the housing ,should I cut ? 1/2" ? and how deep ?

I found these articles
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/soa/5.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/216751-how-hard-cut-turn-front-axle.html
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/soa.html

Can I rely on what they say,is it ok for the FJ62 axles ?

Last edited:
ok,but do you know or give me a hint about where should I search,to find what is the caster angle for a stock SPUA FJ60/62 ?

I think that would help.Or its not so significant ?
I m not feeling so confident about what I should do ,because as I said I was told that I MUST maintain the factory caster.If noone had told me that,I would just set a caster angle at 5 deg tilted to the back and that was all.

Does someone know at which distance from the edge of the housing ,should I cut ? 1/2" ? and how deep ?

I found these articles
Cutting and Turning
https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/216751-how-hard-cut-turn-front-axle.html
Spring Over Axle - December 1999

Can I rely on what they say,is it ok for the FJ62 axles ?

Those articles are a good reference and yes, their C&T reference points work on the 62 front axle as well. I know that the 60 front caster angle is different than the 62 caster angle, but I can't remember what they are right now. I know that almost all the SOA guys run 4-6* caster on their housings after C&T.

That's very helpful,thank you very much :)

i am going to do a soa on my truck soon, but i was planing on doing the cut and turn before i set the pinion angles.

should i be setting pinion angle before?

(ps, i got ruffstuff perches and marlin hy-steer)

You should set the pinion angle while you're doing the C&T. The C&T is necessary to rotate the pinion up so the driveshaft angles are ok while retaining your stock caster.

In short, you do the C&T to fix your pinion angle, so you need to set that while the ball ends are separated. You then rotate the ball ends to set the caster after the pinion angle is figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom