Split rims, bias ply tires, tubes, and tube liners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Of course - standard bush wear :)

This is me in my footwear - though I have upgraded from thongs (what we call flip flops in oz):

toms.jpg

cheers,
george.

I picked up two new Yokohama Y735B tires in the only size Yoko makes them in (7.50R16) from this shop yesterday: www.dinosaurtirepros.com. I went with them because they could get the tires when no other shops could or told me they were all out. Great customer service and had no problems with me only buying the tires and not paying for mounting and balancing. I'd recommend them.

Interesting.
Post up a pic of those mounted.
The Y735B is the tire I've used for the past year. I just replaced two of the tires which had been damaged in my recent vehicle theft.
image-2822362804 (2).jpg

@DrivingMissRosey

Been having a hell of a time tracking down a set of the Y735B tyres! I've sent a couple emails out to the shops you had mentioned and I hope to find a set soon.

Great looking tyres!

Thats odd. I have bought the same tires from two places within 20 miles of each other here in southern CA. Dinosaur Tire in Yucaipa and Ramona Tire in San Jacinto. Both sell Yokohama tires and specialize in semi trucks. I'd suggest that you find a truck tire place that sells Yokohamas and you'll be all set.

I know that Tyrepliers are really good but I ordered a different product to break the bead. BeadBuster XB-451
Its smaller and more portable than the Tyrepliers. It should fit easily in my recovery bag. Its made in 'Merica.

I've got a flat that I need to fix this weekend and will post up a review of it using split rims. Hopefully works and is as easy to use as the product videos advertise. I think I must have run over a cactus while driving offroad at work so I'll probably be pulling out a cactus spine and having to patch both the tube and the inside of the tire.

PS.I looked into using this flat as an excuse to buy a tube with a TR75A valve stem. I called around to the local GCR and they dont have a tube in 7.50R16 with this stem. On Ebay this tube is about 50 bucks! Ouch!

I fixed the flat and the Bead Buster worked great on Toyota split ring rims. Took about 5 minutes and at least three of those were operator error. Way easy!

I am wondering what valve cores people use. I'm tired of messing around with the cheap Slime brand ones. The Slime ones really don't let you use the ARB ez-deflator because you can't be guaranteed to be able to screw the cores back into the tube after deflation. Any suggestions?

I'm looking at these:Fjc Inc. 2674 Jra Valve Core High Flow

My thought is that you get what you pay for. If these are around 5 buck each, they should last.

Last edited:
DSCF0056.JPG
DSCF0057.JPG
DSCF0055.JPG
We all love our splits but we must remember to treat them with respect.

And when they puncture, do they really puncture. Highway speeds on the CA-91E plus large wood bolt=ripped tube and shredded tire.

Yeah, that's the big negative with split rims, if the tube suffers a major cut/tear then the tyre/tube will deflate *rapidly* since the (split) rim offers minimal resistance to air loss. You have essentially a couple of seconds from inflated to flat. I've lost a front tyre that way and it is scary compared to a rear - not to minimise the handling risk of even a rear going.

The tubeless is much superior in this situation, since a screw/nail/bolt puncture will deflate slowly since air can only escape out of the injury and most of the time the cause of the injury is still partially sealing the air's escape path.

I like split rims in oz, since the old patrol is hardly a speed demon on the roads, 50mph is a good pace on hwy & country roads and once onto bush tracks speeds drop considerably from there. I wouldn't run splits in the US on my 80, especially where speeds on roads are in the 70+ mph range...

cheers,
george.

Just got done dealing with the above blow out. The HiRun Brand 7.00/7.50 R15/16 tube I bought from an online seller will not work on Mr. T's splits. when inflated the inner diameter of the tube is about 14.5 inches which is too tight to get the tube flap to lay down smooth. I even tried stretching the tube out by hand and by inflation. Not fitting is too bad as it appears to be nice and thick rubber with a high quality stem.

Last edited:
Tube flaps can be bought through Pep Boys. The manufacturer is Carlisle Tire. In the 16" size, the part number is 17016. I've ordered a couple and will post pics when I get them.

Tube flaps can be bought through Pep Boys. The manufacturer is Carlisle Tire. In the 16" size, the part number is 17016. I've ordered a couple and will post pics when I get them.
I forgot to take a picture during the install, but the flaps work well. I did have to drill the hole for the valve stem to change it from side-oriented to center-oriented, but thats no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom