Splicing a usb socket into a trailer harness (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for the electrically minded out there:

I have a hitch mounted cargo carrier with a license plate bracket containing an LED light. This light is powered off a 4-pin trailer harness that I have connected to the tow outlet with a 4 to 7-pin adapter.

Near the license plate bracket, I'd like to place a waterproof USB socket for charging a tertiary backup camera or possibly other devices. To power the socket, which takes a 12V input, can I just tap into the brown and white wires on the trailer harness?

1617948547778.png

Yep!, except you’ll need the black and white.

Here’s real world:
1617948828365.jpeg

Edit: I’m not familiar with 7 to 4 pin converters, so best to use a multimeter to find your 12v. Unless you’re planning on tapping the factory harness, like I did above.

Last edited:
View attachment 2639947
Yep!, except you’ll need the black and white.

Here’s real world:
View attachment 2639948

Very nice to see! Yup, that's what I was hoping to do.

But can I use the brown wire so that I have power only when the running light signal is being provided?

Also, my 4-pin harness is routed internally through the swing arm that I have attached to the hitch receiver. Everything drilled, fished through and, grommeted. So I want to work with what's there. Routing another wire from the 7-pin source would be a monumental task at this point.

Brown is the right turn signal. Green would be the running lights.
I had edited my previous post before you replied, sorry.

Get at either the ignition 12V or running lights 12V. Pair that with ground.

4-pin will only have running(tail) lights and sounds like that's your preference anyways.

1617987927417.png

1617988235603.png

Post pics of that carrier!

And links to the battery meter/ports you used?

Post pics of that carrier!

And links to the battery meter/ports you used?
I will as soon as I get the final tray attached. I have a 48" attached right now, but I'm waiting for my powder-coater to finish the 60" which I've realized I need for longer trips with my gear.

The power outlet is a dual USB. It's this one: Amazon product ASIN B07F84VVB4. Some reviews caution that the voltage display may be less waterproof than advertised. I plan on making a little window for it with a piece of clear Gorilla tape.

I think the housing I got is this one: Amazon product ASIN B07JL3DLNL

BTW @radman I accidentally backed into the concrete wall in my garage with the carrier (from 1 UP) mounted today. I was not going 1 MPH. Probably more like 5 MPH. There was a loud smashing noise. I thought, "Damn it. My new carrier damaged already!" When I got out to inspect for damage, I found two dings in the concrete and some concrete dust on the carrier. No damage at all to the carrier.

Thanks, I’ve been stalking the blue sea model to install next to my sleeping platform, but haven’t been able to find it on Amazon. Defiantly like the built in voltage. Thanks

I’ve got those blue sea USB outlets in my Bronco and 1990 F350, plan to put some in the back of my LC. They work great! Something about putting one on the trailer hitch makes me happy! I might do that just for Geek points! USB ports everywhere!!!!

I see you completed your goal, but I'll argue you sold your future self short. Install a 7-pin circuit and then use your set-up. One day you'll use the power that rig has, and when you do, you'll want trailer brakes via the 7-pin.

7-pin is native to my 2020 LC.
I see you completed your goal, but I'll argue you sold your future self short. Install a 7-pin circuit and then use your set-up. One day you'll use the power that rig has, and when you do, you'll want trailer brakes via the 7-pin.

7-pin is native to my 2020 LC. If I need to tow, I can pull out my cargo carrier and swing arm, and the 4-pin with USB detour setup comes out with it. Then my 7-pin can take a trailer plug.

Question for the electrically minded out there:

I have a hitch mounted cargo carrier with a license plate bracket containing an LED light. This light is powered off a 4-pin trailer harness that I have connected to the tow outlet with a 4 to 7-pin adapter.

Near the license plate bracket, I'd like to place a waterproof USB socket for charging a tertiary backup camera or possibly other devices. To power the socket, which takes a 12V input, can I just tap into the brown and white wires on the trailer harness?
Is it possible to make a usb “adapter” by slicing into a new “trailer” harness instead of the vehicle side? I have a 4 pin and 7 pin on a sprinter that is like to connect a rear view camera to. The camera is solar charged or can be charged by USB. I’d rather have the usb “adapter” where I can unplug and not have it hanging from the van when not in use. I just want to be able to charge the camera when we are going down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom