Spend My $$$ on a 2m HAM Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For a clean, under-the-radio DIN mount I would go with an Icom V8000 (which I think is discontinued) or a Kenwood 281A.

Both are good, analog 2M radios, solidly built and extremely dependable. Both are very powerful, although the Icom had 10W more than the Kenwood on high mode. And both have a front firing speaker, ideal for DIN installs.

So...why is that a "bad location"? It's within easy reach, it fills the space left by a single DIN radio very nicely and is easy to run wires to. I had it in that location in my 91 and 97.
The radio the OP is thinking about has a front firing speaker and my V71A has a bottom speaker. I have no issues hearing either one at speed, so not sure what you're talking about.

I don't like single DIN radios.
He needs (you too) a double DIN radio with a big screen navigation, XM radio, bluetooth, etc.
That is a very bad location for most HAM radios due to having no ventilation, it gets pretty hot in there and it limits you to a front firing speaker (if you don't want an external speaker installed).
Some HAMs don't even come with a cooling fan. Remember those rugged, off road radios? Yeah those ones without a fan.

He needs (you too) a double DIN radio with a big screen navigation, XM radio, bluetooth, etc.
That is a very bad location for most HAM radios due to having no ventilation, it gets pretty hot in there and it limits you to a front firing speaker (if you don't want an external speaker installed).
Some HAMs don't even come with a cooling fan. Remember those rugged, off road radios? Yeah those ones without a fan.
LOL. Thanks for letting me know what I need in my truck.

Like I said, the 271/281 both have a front firing speaker and fit nicely in a single DIN space. The 271 is not as deep as the V71 so it can sit flush. The V71 is deeper and the faceplate sticks out a bit. It's removable and I've toyed with the idea of moving it, but it works well where it is. Easy to see, easy to control. I can also run most common functions from the handset, which is programmable.
Ventilation is not an issue. My radio gets turned on in the morning during trail ride days and remains on until I'm parked back at camp in the evening.
I have the speaker of the V71 facing downward and I have to lower the volume or it's obnoxiously loud. Again, a non-issue.

My single DIN Pioneer unit has SiriusXM, bluetooth handsfree, an external wired mic that runs up the A pillar, 3 levels of radio presets, full parametric EQ, etc. I have a nice Android tablet for navigation that pops in and out for portability and is more useful to me than an in dash nav system.

Been reading a few older threads. Much great info in many threads from Jon and Drew...thanks guys. The V71 seems like it's more advanced than I need for a beginner unit. The 281 is listed as about 2 inches shorter, which will allow for for flexible mounting solutions and fits my goals of being simple and within budget. I'm going to co ahead grab a 281, Diamond mount, and Comet antenna. I can upgrade to a dual band in a couple years when I have more experience and if I feel the need.

Been reading a few older threads. Much great info in many threads from Jon and Drew...thanks guys. The V71 seems like it's more advanced than I need for a beginner unit. The 281 is listed as about 2 inches shorter, which will allow for for flexible mounting solutions and fits my goals of being simple and within budget. I'm going to co ahead grab a 281, Diamond mount, and Comet antenna. I can upgrade to a dual band in a couple years when I have more experience and if I feel the need.
Yeasu 1900 is really short. The Yeasu 3100 has front fire speaker and has a digi mode....but you'll need to find another guy with digi (it still will comm in analog, though)

Yeasu 1900 is really short. The Yeasu 3100 has front fire speaker and has a digi mode....but you'll need to find another guy with digi (it still will comm in analog, though)

The thing I like about the V71 is that it is dual band 2m and 440. In an emergency the closest repeater may be 440. For example the repeater on the Rubicon trail that is linked to the outside world is 440.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom