speedometer cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I am going to be lubricating the speedometer cable in my FJ40 because the the needle was bouncing at speed and I was wondering what I should use to lubricate the cable. Thanks.

Just some axle grease will do it but I think you may find you need a new cable.You can get aftermarket ones for about half Toyotas price

I did this. Worked great. Remove instrument cluster. Disconnect speedo cable at both ends. Remove core. Clean housing by shooting spray carb cleaner through housing using supplied straw. Using needle type tip on grease gun pump two or three squeezes into housing. Clean core with rag and apply a thin coat of grease while reinstalling into housing pushing pumped grease through the entire housing. Remove all excess grease. Reconnect ends. Reinstall cluster. Load cooler. Go wheeling.
;) 8)

mine on my 62 is boucing but all that for a bouncy needle? comeonnow :D

Just giving you fair warning: Removing the speedo cable from the back of the instrument cluster can be a PITA.

This memory dates back quite a few years but it may be worth a shot. Years ago I believe snap on carried a speedo cable luber. Basically a a set of adaptor gizmos that screw onto your grease gun on one end and into the speedo cable on the other. Squirt squirt and your done. Don't know if they are still around.

I would take the time to purchase some spedo cable lube or use something like Sil-glide. Good ol' reglar grease might be too viscous for this application. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom