Specter off road brake conversion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wilwood Disc Brakes - https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear?itemno=140-15979-BK

more info on wilwood stuff, you may have to copy and paste the top three links into your web browser, the last link works, which points to parking brake kit. I can't say it works at to the FJ60 because I'm just looking at it now. I'm sure there are a number of factors (1) what disk brake setup is being used, (2) what rotor (3) what size wheel (4) clearance issues based on wheel backspace etc... I'm "throwing gas on the fire"....

base on initial read...it seems like a great concept, it also seems to have a fairly simple operation, good design, and logical and clear information etc on install etc.
Anything that expands options that is well made and safe etc, is a plus. I like what I see so far, and I'm not an expert but these guys answer emails, they have a known history in the hot-rod and race car community and other places I'm sure. They post instructions and details on their web site etc. Yeah its not free either, but good products with support are not free.

I don't know if this adds to the discussion but my friend tells me that the new toyota tundra's have electronic parking brakes, while I don't know first hand, one of toyota car rear disk brakes I looked at a few months ago was a regular rear disk service brake caliper with electric parking brake built in. The value of the new "full size" truck having something similar would be (1) salvage parts (2) rated for semi heavy vehicle. My "friend" is a toyota dealer mechanic ...

just on initial read....what I'm seeing at wilwood is just a parking brake setup, off hand as I write this, i'm not sure they have a service brake caliper with parking brake built in...but this is new to me as I write this, so I've not had time to explore that much.

So, i'm dreaming of a rear disk brake caliper with electric parking brake built in, that adapts to FJ60, and of which has easy parking brake operation, rated for the weight of the FJ60....at last call my truck weights close to 5,800lb. The 35inch tires are part of that... I know there may be other options and rear axle swaps and etc..etc, to include a swap to a 80 series rear axle, so yeah. Maybe thing are looking good for electronic parking brakes.

The kit I'm pointing at is supposed to be good for vehicles over 6K in weight....how heavy I don't know, but fyi.

Did you ever try this out? Based on CruiserMatt and the others who did the front brake Tundra/4R upgrade, it seems worthwhile. Not sure if it's easier/better to do that or the SOR or Redline rear disc conversion. Redline supplies a parking brake, and apparently you need to get a custom parking cable made. Curious if you went this route though, especially since Wilwood makes very good brake components

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom