Specter off road brake conversion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys just wanted a variety of opinion and possibly experience if anyone as installed the Speter Off-road rear brake conversion kit? Pros? Cons? Solid upgrade? Better off going big some other direction? Appreciate the hell out of everyone on here. Great community!
Cheers
D61C7CDD-32F7-440B-A90B-C716F2943CB8.jpeg

Last edited:
probably need a little more details on what you are referring to. What brake kit? Rear disk setup or ?

probably need a little more details on what you are referring to. What brake kit? Rear disk setup or ?
Sorry, yes it’s the kit converting the rear drum to disc brakes. Just wondering if it’s money we’ll spent. Or not a noticeable difference.

this one right? Land Cruiser Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit - https://www.sor.com/cat292.sor
$800 is a lot of money and you will also need to replace the factory parking brake with something else. You don't have huge tires or lift, do you not stop properly? I'm SOA, on 37s, and still have factory drums but fronts have new rotors and using 4runner calipers...my truck stops "fine."

If you suspect your brakes aren't sufficient, try upgrading the fronts; better bang for your buck. If you have $1000 you can disappear with no problem, get those rear discs! :)

I'm a firm believer in OEM parts but only go with aftermarket if they are proven and an improvement. Over all drum brakes are MUCH more durable. They will last longer and you will have to work on them less often if they are set up correctly. Granted there is a learning curve to pulling shoes and getting the springs back on.

So while disc brake pads are much easier to switch out, they will have to be replaced more often. Then there is the unknown of how good their calipers will hold up.

For $815.00 plus shipping your close to buying a nice pair of sliders.

I'm guessing this is the old Monte Carlo brake replacement. I did that on my FJ40 and it was OK, not great, but OK. However, that vehicle has the parking brake on the transfer case and the conversion only cost me a few hundred dollars. My thought is that with this one, you spend over $800, get little or no improvement to braking performance, and lose your parking brake? No thanks.

What @Godwin said. The cost of the 80 axle is comparable to the SOR kit.

What @Godwin said. The cost of the 80 axle is comparable to the SOR kit
I think putting 80 series axles under a 60 is a good project. However, there are more costs than just putting in a rear axle. The better 80 series axle (FZJ80) is a full floating unit with rear discs and a parking brake. However, it also takes at least 16 inch wheels. It also is wider, so you're going to have to deal with that as well since unless you do the front as well, you end up with different width axles. You'd have to use spacers. Definitely not a bolt-in swap and since you have to do wheels and tires (minimum), than much more money than $800.

The rear drums in the 60 work well if they are in good shape.

Last edited:
For that money you should put Tundra or 5th gen 4Runner brakes up front and have a real serious upgrade, depending on whether you have 16 or 17" wheels, can't tell from your pic.

I wondered about that but I read a few threads that had mixed reviews on whether it was a really good upgrade. Are you speaking from experience Matt? 17” wheels.

I did Tundra brakes and 80 series rear. This was a significant brake upgrade.

a lot of the magic on the rear disk brake setups is the functionality of the parking brake or solutions to get one. I've been interested in that as well but I've not jumped on anything yet as I've not been satisfied as to a solid parking brake solution. I'm not going to run the transfer case type parking brake, and I'm aware of various versions of a line lock, but line locks are hydraulic only.

I don't know if its feasible or practical or even logical but , I wondered about using one of the newer toyota calipers that has electric parking brakes as an electric parking brake (simple on / off function) , the use of this would be where you ran a primary rear brake caliper that did not have a parking brake function. Two calipers on the rear axle (each side) this may make no sense, but its an idea.

I'm a fan of being able to lock down the brakes when parked, notably on the trail and having a parking brake outside of the hydraulic system. I''m also a fan of the brakes staying in adjustment, the FJ60 rear brake and parking brake are the same thing (OEM).

I wondered about that but I read a few threads that had mixed reviews on whether it was a really good upgrade. Are you speaking from experience Matt? 17” wheels.

Yes
My 5th Gen 4runner front brake setup (woth hydoboost and 1-1.25” MC) will lock a 37” tire at around 30 MPH if you stand on it.

I may try to get a video of this but I am concerned for my front springs doing this multiple times

I am working on this right now. The modern electric parking brakes are the best.
All the good parts about a line lock with none of the drawbacks of a line lock

I don't know if its feasible or practical or even logical but , I wondered about using one of the newer toyota calipers that has electric parking brakes as an electric parking brake (simple on / off function) , the use of this would be where you ran a primary rear brake caliper that did not have a parking brake function. Two calipers on the rear axle (each side) this may make no sense, but its an idea.

I am working on this right now. The modern electric parking brakes are the best.
All the good parts about a line lock with none of the drawbacks of a line lock

OK, interesting on what you find out. I was going to go junkyard surfing to see what I could find on calipers...but that was a thought not an action yet.

I was wondering if the caliper (the parking brake caliper / electric) could be simply controlled by on/off or had to have some type of smart control...

was surfing around, and came across this.... off hand I don't know anything beyond just sharing the link.
and the below.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom