speaker wiring...help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to splice into the wires that go to the speakers in the cargo area headliner in my '96.

The right speaker has a white with grey wire and a red with grey wire.

The left speaker has a yellow wire and a black wire.

My question is...which are the ground wires?

Will greatly appreciate the info.

Ed

You have pos & neg leads but no ground per say. The audio output is an AC signal which is different from the normal battery and ground. What are you acutally trying to accomplish? If you are trying to hookup a sub you really need a device that combines right and left channels together for a single output. Use the red and black as one combination and yellow and white as the other. Try switching them pos/neg for best sound. One way will be in phase with the rest of the system and the other out of phase.

yeah, you really have to watch what your doing if you want it sounding right. If you are adding another speaker per channel, getting the phasing right is reasonably easy. Get them out of phase and the speaker will sound a bit tinney or without bass or just a bit strange. Splicing into an existing system can also give you problems with impendance which most likely wont be too much of a problem, but if you have expensive equipment it can stuff it slightly.

Thanks for the responses. I originally wrote a more detailed explanation, but when I posted, somehow it got lost. So when I rewrote I condensed it.

I'm installing an Infinity Basslink powered subwoofer.

The PO had a Bazooka subwoofer installed, but took it out, leaving all the wiring. I thought I could just plug in the existing wiring. But the installer at Circuit City, where I bought the Infinity, looked at the existing wiring and said it wouldn't work well with the Infinity.The shop that did the current install hooked up a line-out convertor that combines the left and right signals into a single output. Apparently, the Infinity likes separate left and right inputs and provides a harness to connect all four wires separately.

That's why I'm trying to determine which wires are negative...to keep in phase. By unplugging connectors, I could determine which wires went to each speakers, but as you know, you can't get behind the speakers to see the connections without damaging the speaker grills.

Thanks for the advise...

Ed

Here's something else that threw me off.

Based on the positioning of the speaker wires on the OEM connector plug, I assumed that the Yellow and white were negative and the red and black were positive. For one thing, the yellow and white are on the top of the connector and black and red are on the bottom. Also figured that red would never be used for negative.

The line-out convertor that a shop installed has 2 pairs of wires. 2 white and 2 grey. One white and one grey each have a black stripe. The so-called professional installer has wired them out-of-phase, or so it appeared.

So my dilemna was....do I go with my instincts or duplicate what the shop did?

So I did the logical thing...I turned to you guys for help. Now I'm convinced that the shop that did the previous install screwed up. No wonder I didn't like the sound. Getting things back in phase and adding the subwoofer should be a huge improvement.

Thanks,

Ed

Reviving this thread......

I have ordered the Eclipses, front ones are bneing shipped, rear doors are on backorder but should be here in 10-14 days.....

Really looking to add some bass and it appears that an Infinity BassLink should serve my needs well. I listen mostly to rock, love great bass, but am not looking for earth or window shattering blasting, either.

It has been way too long since my younger days, and I really don't want to spend a ton of money or starting fabricating fiberglass enclosures, or building large boxes.....

Question being, Infinity BassLinks have been out for sometime. they sound like a good alternative to a full blown custom system, but they are a couple of years old.....Anything new out there comparable for the money? I put in a bass tube in a 65 Mustang convertible about two years ago, was not impressed at all.

So I guess I need some more opinions (i've read every thread here) about how to install, would you use the inputs from the factory sub? Or better to use roof speaker leads? (which are run parallel to rear doors)?

Sounds like the BassLink wants 4 wires in, not just the two coming out of the sub-amp......

(Copied from another thread)

Cary, I have read all of the threads and posts, but I either didn't see or missed the following....

I imagine getting to and disconnecting the front tweets should be fairly easy. Do you think it necessary to disconnect the rear tweets as well? Do you know where those wires are ran or do those come off without getting behind the headliner?

And and in case I haven't totally highjacked this thread, I am also considering an Infinity BassLink, which I think will accept 4 high output leads into the unit.....Can I use the ones going to the rear tweets? I think there was mention of those wires being parallel to the rear doors.....

An anyone else have the basslink? Interested in where you mounted it. I took out the 3rd row seats, and have installed a pet barrier (not for pet use, for package missile protection) and think it will fit pretty nicely in the center between the two supports up against the back of the 2nd row....

Rambling while waiting on Eclipses to show....

CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom