Spark plug tubes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1135.JPG
well today I pulled my plugs to check the spark plugs and this is what I found. The last 3 cylinders closest to the firewall had the most oil. This pic is from the last cyclinder. Is this caused by the valve stem seals?

Caused by seals in the valve cover that have turned into hard plastic (versus pliable rubber). Pull the valve cover, replace all 6 seals and put a new gasket on the cover (where it mates to the head). Good time to also change PCV rubber grommet etc.

cheers,
george.

Don't lose the rubber grommet in the valve cover. It's a bear to get back out. I would say ask me how I know, but the answer is that I am dumb. Just don't do it.

I changed the six seals in the valve cover when I changed the valve cover gasket about 2 years ago. I can't imagine them going bad that fast.

^ the only way oil can seep up around the top edge of the spark plugs is due to oil leaking past those seals unless your pistons are awash in oil and the spark plugs aren't seated correctly...

I assume you used toyota seals? I assume you installed them the correct way around and didn't damage them while seating?

I'd pull the valve cover and inspect what is going on.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom