Spark Plug Talk (2UZ-FE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBound

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys, I'm doing some needed maintenance before Ouray.

It seems like everyone and their grandma has an opinion on the best spark plugs for the 4runner. Can anyone throw their hat in and tell me what they're running? Probably overthinking it, but you can't beat experience.

I was going to go with NGK Copper or Iridium. Some people say copper perform better because they are more conductive, though Iridium do last longer. I've read that Toyota uses Denso and NGK as factory plugs.

Pre-gapped plugs, or "hell no gap them myself"?

Thanks y'all. I'm a smart guy but I check in here first.

When I changed my plugs in the engine of my 98 LX I went with the pre gapped Denso iridium plugs. I always check the gap anyway, but don't like bending the electrodes on iridium plugs because those little iridium pieces can come off pretty easy.

I don't think I would go with copper core plugs in a 4runner. I used to run them in the Trans Am, but they cause radio noise and don't last long at all.

Mr. Toyota (owner’s manual) for my newer Toyotas at least, say to use the NGK or Denso iridium plugs with no gap adjustment. I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those, as long as you can figure out the right part number for your Runner. I have pulled them out at 90,000 miles for replacement and they look just fine. Toyota maintenance specs are generally 120,000. I use just a touch of anti-seize grease and install them and forget about them until at least 100,000 miles later. I also run them in my’93 Cruiser with no problems.

I am not a fan of regular powdered aluminum anti seize on spark plugs. I use Nickel-Graph when changing spark plugs in aluminum heads. Just don't do like one goober friend of mine did and dip the plugs in the anti seize compound.

I used whatever Toyota recommends and the part #s are diff from side to side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom