Spare tire size question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still have the original 16 year old spare tire underneath my 02 and wanted to see if anyone else has been able to put a larger tire under there. Looks like it’s never been used ever but it’s not holding air. I’d like to match my 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT’s I currently have on the truck.

We found the same on my son's 2000 LC when we purchased it. We replaced ours with a 285/75R16 without issue

Any tire of roughly 33" diameter will fit under there. Larger than that and you will have issues (assuming you have a tow hitch).

I have the 275/65R18 (32” tire - close equivalent to a 275/75R16) with a tow hitch and no problem. You may have enough room for an extra inch but depending on the tread depth of the spare it may be close.

Thanks everyone! I want to be able to keep the same size so don’t want to go any skinnier, but based on what everyone is saying it will fit even with the tow hitch.

I have a brand new full tread 285/75R16 cooper AT3 under the rear of mine. Fits no problem.

I have a brand new full tread 285/75R16 cooper AT3 under the rear of mine. Fits no problem.
Did you have to modify anything to fit the 285/75? It will fit underneath but it touches the exhaust so I think I am going to weld a bracket that holds it off the exhaust about an inch. The exhaust that came with the truck isn’t stock, but it seems to be routed just like the stock one would have. I’ve left the spare off until I come up with a fix. Here’s a pic.
FC91061F-B174-4F6E-965C-06E216759E9F.jpeg

Did you have to modify anything to fit the 285/75? It will fit underneath but it touches the exhaust so I think I am going to weld a bracket that holds it off the exhaust about an inch. The exhaust that came with the truck isn’t stock, but it seems to be routed just like the stock one would have. I’ve left the spare off until I come up with a fix. Here’s a pic.
View attachment 1735004
No mods at all. That exhaust looks like it's routed differently.

Yup, mine had a 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T in the spare well and it fit with zero issues. I did fit a 275/70/18 KO2 for a while, but it was definitely tight. Now that tire is on the swingout bumper.

OP I'd say it's your non-stock exhaust giving the trouble. Don't think even the spare tire lift mod would remedy that one, you may need to move your exhaust or like you said make something that holds it away somehow.
285 Falken AT3W fits under mine, stock, no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom