Builds SouthTxGX’s question and build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha! You've already got me beat on the springers. I am surprisingly happy with my Ironman front bumper and I like that the winch mount is separate of the bumper. Rear bumper, drawers, full skids, and maybe lockers and eventually bigger meats and she's done, then it'll be time to start on the Land Cruiser. That build won't be seeing any shortcuts.

Haha! You've already got me beat on the springers. I am surprisingly happy with my Ironman front bumper and I like that the winch mount is separate of the bumper. Rear bumper, drawers, full skids, and maybe lockers and eventually bigger meats and she's done, then it'll be time to start on the Land Cruiser. That build won't be seeing any shortcuts.
You sure? I can bring over my new dremel and cut the bumpers on it😂.

While I like the victory hybrid, I’m pretty sure I’m just going to get an Ironman. I just like the better protection it offers.

You sure? I can bring over my new dremel and cut the bumpers on it😂.

While I like the victory hybrid, I’m pretty sure I’m just going to get an Ironman. I just like the better protection it offers.

Having the full wrap definitely gives me more of the warm and fuzzies in terms of protection from animal strikes. Like yourself, I am commuting rurally a lot in the wee hours of the morning and the chance of a hog or deer strike is a definite possibility. Aesthetically I do prefer the low profile stuff.

Yup did mine today too. I used the dremel and was covered in plastic haha. I haven’t decided on a bumper yet and know I’ll have to cut anyways so this will do for now.

4C7135DE-A4F3-4E36-8B82-3EB2EE701D3E.jpeg

The time has come to burn more money and to be honest, the 275s are looking kinda small now with a tad more lift and the cut front bumper. It’ll only look worse when I get around to doing the rear bumper. I like the idea of going 285/70 simply for the options and availability of tires, but 34x10.5r17 and 285/75r17 have entered the chat. Any way I go I’m gonna need a BMC and some liner cutting.

My top 5 so far are

Yokohama geolander m/t
Nitto trail grappler
BFG km3
Toyo r/t or m/t
Grabber x3

I’ve always wanted to try the trail grapplers, but just never have. What I like about them is that they’re available in a c rated 3 ply sidewall for a little more comfort on the road but they shouldn’t puncture super easy when aired down.

The 34x10.5 is only available in ko2’s and we haven’t had the best of luck with them, but that was on rwd trucks. Maybe they’d be better on a gx with the full time 4wd?

I’ve always wanted to try the trail grapplers, but just never have. What I like about them is that they’re available in a c rated 3 ply sidewall for a little more comfort on the road but they shouldn’t puncture super easy when aired down.

These will be my next set of tires once my Ridge Grapplers need replacing. :cool:

Not a Trail Grappler fan, had them on a 4Runner and didn't like them in the rain or how they looked. I'm dying to try a set of Geolander M/T's so I am keen on that idea. We've had many sets of KO2's on Toyota's over the years and we've always loved them, but it seems to be an easy tire to jump on the bandwagon of hate in this forum though. I don't know jack about the Grabber's other than they are heavy and the KM3's are nice looking and supposedly very quiet for a M/T. Toyo R/T is one of my favorite tires of all time and is very similar in design and function with the Ridge Grappler just at a higher weight and more cost. The Toyo M/T is a great tire and looks good but they are pricey, heavy and an extremely old design at this point. I'd buy the Yokohama's over the Toyo all day long for those reasons. Oh and I vote for bigger than 285/70's lol.

Not a Trail Grappler fan, had them on a 4Runner and didn't like them in the rain or how they looked. I'm dying to try a set of Geolander M/T's so I am keen on that idea. We've had many sets of KO2's on Toyota's over the years and we've always loved them, but it seems to be an easy tire to jump on the bandwagon of hate in this forum though. I don't know jack about the Grabber's other than they are heavy and the KM3's are nice looking and supposedly very quiet for a M/T. Toyo R/T is one of my favorite tires of all time and is very similar in design and function with the Ridge Grappler just at a higher weight and more cost. The Toyo M/T is a great tire and looks good but they are pricey, heavy and an extremely old design at this point. I'd buy the Yokohama's over the Toyo all day long for those reasons. Oh and I vote for bigger than 285/70's lol.

Good to know! I’ll keep the Ridge Grapplers then since you’ve had both. I’ll take your word for it.

The time has come to burn more money and to be honest, the 275s are looking kinda small now with a tad more lift and the cut front bumper. It’ll only look worse when I get around to doing the rear bumper. I like the idea of going 285/70 simply for the options and availability of tires, but 34x10.5r17 and 285/75r17 have entered the chat. Any way I go I’m gonna need a BMC and some liner cutting.

My top 5 so far are

Yokohama geolander m/t
Nitto trail grappler
BFG km3
Toyo r/t or m/t
Grabber x3

The 34x10.5 is only available in ko2’s and we haven’t had the best of luck with them, but that was on rwd trucks. Maybe they’d be better on a gx with the full time 4wd?
You’ll need a BMC with 285/70s too. I did but that might have been the wheel offset. I’m definitely going to go the 285/75 route next time.

9842C83D-2A60-4A80-8B54-D17962242AA7.jpeg

I was already planning to have a bmc done soon so that’s no big deal. I’ll just get an aggressive one so I don’t have to have it done again in the future. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the geolander mt in 285/75. Their site lists it as being only .1” wider than my 275/70s, but they’re 34.1” tall. Going to take some measurements Saturday when I’m greasing my UCAs to make sure they won’t interfere with the reservoirs and go from there. Worst case scenario is I end up having to go with a 285/70 which will still have more options and look slightly better than the current ones.

I was already planning to have a bmc done soon so that’s no big deal. I’ll just get an aggressive one so I don’t have to have it done again in the future. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the geolander mt in 285/75. Their site lists it as being only .1” wider than my 275/70s, but they’re 34.1” tall. Going to take some measurements Saturday when I’m greasing my UCAs to make sure they won’t interfere with the reservoirs and go from there. Worst case scenario is I end up having to go with a 285/70 which will still have more options and look slightly better than the current ones.

I am assuming that you're ordering these through Discount Tire? They allow test fits, so I'd order them in and then mount one up on the front and see how it goes, if it's too much then you can have a backup size/model.

Ya I did an aggressive bmc to make room for up to 35s if I wanted.

849D6230-EDF7-4E3B-B2F9-D2AE6D5D0A40.png

All six strut tower bolts were loose enough to turn by hand. That along with the UCAs needing grease was probably why I was getting so much creaking and feedback in the steering wheel over bumps and dips.

Finally got to take it out to the beach again. Really need to cut the rear bumper soon. Kings did great, but I only got it up to about 45 mph at the highest. View attachment 2656177
I also picked up the perfect overlander shovel😂

View attachment 2656183
Nice recovery gear (the green shovel)! :D
Is the shovel made of unobtainium?
Just in case you're not familiar with unobtainium, look it up. ;)

Nice recovery gear (the green shovel)! :D
Is the shovel made of unobtainium?
Just in case you're not familiar with unobtainium, look it up. ;)
It wouldn’t be an overlander shovel if it wasn’t. I was shocked how many people thought I was serious when I asked about mounting it to a rack on Facebook lol.

My vacation started at 11pm last night so I headed out immediately to do some fishing. While I have a big problem with the inability to make decisions, my inability to catch fish is even worse😂. At least I have a badass Lexus to stare at lol.

As everyone knows from Tex’s thread, I got a few things off his before the trade in. While nothing is attached to the rack yet, it makes a good place to set my rods to free up my hands. The kaon shelf gets used way more frequently than I thought it would. Might be able to squeeze in the goose gear plate install while I’m off.

While I love Texas to death, I sure wish it’s inhabitants would pick up after themselves.

5607CFB8-6724-43A0-B672-36F35DABE27F.jpeg

While I love Texas to death, I sure wish it’s inhabitants would pick up after themselves.

^ This and to note it is definitely a human problem. Lack of respect for Mother Nature and others during upbringing being taught is my thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom