Builds SouthTxGX’s question and build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 4 year old boy so I completely understand. He’s pretty good at holding a flashlight though lol.
I used to do a lot of my own work when I was into custom trucks. I had a “friend” do all the air suspension and it ended up being a total hack job. That truck is a constant reminder to have stuff done right by a competent person. I definitely learned that quality parts and work come at a higher price. One of these days I need to grab a torch and cut it up and haul it off to the scrapyard.

Hopefully when our girl hits 4 she’s going to be a little self sufficient with playing so we won’t both have to constantly tend to her to keep her busy while we do our thing. It’s the dream anyway. Haha.

Hopefully when our girl hits 4 she’s going to be a little self sufficient with playing so we won’t both have to constantly tend to her to keep her busy while we do our thing. It’s the dream anyway. Haha.
Trust me, my friend, the time will pass all too soon!
Just try to keep your rig in great condition so as she (and any others along the way) grow, they are still able to go on your great adventures as they get older.

Nothing new lately. Took it in for service today and drove it back to the ranch to help clear some brush and feed cattle. Finally back to weekends off so I’ll be able to start having some fun again. Still waiting for some king rear shocks. Thought I found some in stock, but they turned out to be a set for tacomas that were mislabeled. Might order wheels this week as well.
CC4B1EEB-7CEC-4F46-BDB5-0A4979B61A24.jpeg

What is the UCA through bolt torque spec? I’ve seen different numbers online. I believe 85 foot pounds is correct?

85 ft lbs is what I used, but hand tight until the rigs on the ground and settled, then torque.

I only remember because my torque wrench only goes to 75 ft lbs so I did the ole “75 plus a little” guess.

Greased the UCA bushings, but still getting some creaking when hitting larger dips and bumps while going slow. More noticeable when braking at the same time. I’m just gonna turn the radio up and send it.

I did finally make a decision on a rear bumper. I’m just going to get the kaymar since it’s what I originally wanted I haven’t heard of many issues with them. I’ll be at placing an order at the end of April. Rear kings should be coming soon.

With the deep freeze we recently experienced and the looming hurricane season approaching, my wife is finally on board with getting more gear. We never lost power, but we did lose water when the city’s system went down. The good thing is that just about all of the stuff will come in handy when camping or on long fishing trips so it’ll get put to use. I had been wanting to get all of this stuff for years, but kept putting it off. Food storage, water purification, power sources, and a way to shower are high on the list now.

We were without water for four days, sucked, so I get your desire to handle that better going forward. The Kaymar is a nice unit, just not a cheap option.

We were without water for four days, sucked, so I get your desire to handle that better going forward. The Kaymar is a nice unit, just not a cheap option.
Definitely not cheap at all. We figured we’d just go to my parents house to shower, but they had issues as well. I figure it’ll help get the family more comfortable with being in the woods at least overnight too. We’re currently planning to hit either the Christmas mountain/big bend area or ouachita national forest in May.

Definitely not cheap at all. We figured we’d just go to my parents house to shower, but they had issues as well. I figure it’ll help get the family more comfortable with being in the woods at least overnight too. We’re currently planning to hit either the Christmas mountain/big bend area or ouachita national forest in May.

Been to both, temps will be better in Arkansas that time of the year for sure. Christmas Mountain is worth doing but it's a short 3-4 hour deal. In May it's starting to get really hot in BB so if you're headed out there I'd spend your time in the Chisos at elevation to avoid the heat but that doesn't really do you any good for four wheeling lol. We will be back there late fall should y'all decide to hold off and want to tag along with a group.

Greased the UCA bushings, but still getting some creaking when hitting larger dips and bumps while going slow. More noticeable when braking at the same time. I’m just gonna turn the radio up and send it.

If you loosen the main long bolt, grease liberally, then re-torque it, it should help a lot with getting the grease everywhere it needs to go.

If you loosen the main long bolt, grease liberally, then re-torque it, it should help a lot with getting the grease everywhere it needs to go.
Yeah I loosened it and pumped some grease in. I’ll probably pump more in next time.

In other news, I’m working 72 hours a week for the next few months so I’ll be ordering lots of parts soon. I think I’m gonna pick up a heat gun and coerce the fender liners out of the way for 33s this weekend.

My wife: “We should use some of this overtime money to take a nice vacation this year.”

Me:
View attachment 2616458
I don't know why, but your post sounds astonishingly familiar to some of the conversations in my home!
But we always seem to get some travel in, so in the end... happy wife, happy life!

Reactions: r2m
I approve of this message.

Yup. My wife is all bling’d out too accordingly. Though now she wants stuff done to her GX. Haha
I’m lucky that mine is pretty frugal and doesn’t really have expensive hobbies. After doing some traveling she no longer complains about me throwing money at the gx. I just had to promise her we’d get her some nicer wheels for her Corolla lol.

The time has come to order wheels, but I’m torn between the method 704 in titanium and the evo corse dakars in anthracite.

I love the Method 704, it's 8.5" wide and has a +/-0mm offset, what does the Evo Corse have?

I love the Method 704, it's 8.5" wide and has a +/-0mm offset, what does the Evo Corse have?
They’re 17x8” with 0mm offset. I really like the dakars, but if something happens I wouldn’t be able to just go to discount to get it replaced. The bead grip is a plus too if it does what they say it does.

I'd go Method, the bead grip technology while neat seems gimmicky and I have no real need for it so it's not a selling point IMHO but YMMV.

Any thoughts on demello offroad’s new bumper? I’ve never owned any of their stuff and have heard of rust issues in the past, but that could just be bad powdercoat prep from the end user’s chosen shop. I do wish it sat a tad higher.
3F4809CD-67B4-4ACA-A148-00413765AC89.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom