Builds SouthTxGX’s question and build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check out Demello sliders. They are DOM steel, DOM is stronger than HREW. They have 4 legs that attach to the frame some brands have 2 or 3. Directly bolts to the frame with good hardware that is supplied. I like a pronounced kick out for better tree and rock protection but that is optional.
I’ll definitely be getting something with a kick out. Do the 5th gen 4Runner sliders just bolt up on the gx or do they have to be gx specific?

Some supposedly work but I tried to fit the Hefty Fab sliders I had on our last 5th Gen on the GX an it was a no go. They were KDSS adaptable but the front leg didn't want to clear the pump so who knows.

Check out Demello sliders. They are DOM steel, DOM is stronger than HREW. They have 4 legs that attach to the frame some brands have 2 or 3. Directly bolts to the frame with good hardware that is supplied. I like a pronounced kick out for better tree and rock protection but that is optional.
Agreed! 👍
Another advantage of sliders that are a little wider is that it keeps idiots in parking lots from swinging their doors into your vehicle! Let them slam it into the slider instead!!

Agreed! 👍
Another advantage of sliders that are a little wider is that it keeps idiots in parking lots from swinging their doors into your vehicle! Let them slam it into the slider instead!!
I was just thinking about this last time I was at the store.

That’s really the main reason I want them lol. They’ll come in handy offroad, but the extra protection from careless people in parking lots is a big bonus.

Did a portion of the hill country overland trail today between Fredericksburg and Mason. Some really nice views and lots of wildlife. James River crossing was fairly low, but it was nice to be able to say I’ve done in. I was surprised to see that the roads aren’t just basic gravel roads and aren’t super maintained.
I also learned not to get in too much of a hurry putting the gx in 4lo. I’m still kind of worried about all the grinding, but everything seems ok.
2A0FCFB3-5CAD-42B1-8F1D-6FEA529B5E5E.jpeg

I've been meaning to do that for years now. I need to find the exact roads and knock it out before it either gets developed or gets closed due to tree hugger types out of the Austin area.

I've been meaning to do that for years now. I need to find the exact roads and knock it out before it either gets developed or gets closed due to tree hugger types out of the Austin area.

Here’s the map I went off of

They’ve definitely been having issues with people trespassing and littering when they drive through there. Lots of purple paint on trees and fence posts on the sides of the roads. I hate to see it get shut down, but I’ll understand if it eventually does. Since it was the middle of the week we only saw two vehicles from Fredericksburg to Mason. We’ll definitely be doing it again after I get my lift on.

So, I found a pretty rutted area today and was seeing what it would take to get the rear wheels off the ground. Left it running while I got out to check things out and when I got back in the display was showing “Engine Oil Low”. I wasn’t at what I would consider an extreme angle and I understand that having the gx at an angle causes the oil to move to one side, but would this be anything to worry about? Engine wasn’t making any noises and it ran fine after getting out of the hole. Just a dummy light for when it gets a little low or would the oil move enough to not get any in the oil pickup line and possibly cause issues if it were that way for a while like if I were stuck or something?

That is the first I have heard of that coming on in some kind of off-camber scenario. I assume oil level is all good?

Perhaps sensor is going out? I was looking at that the other day in a schematic... I'll see if I can find that again and post diagram of location. Electrical connector is D6 in this EWD diagram

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 5.00.34 PM.png

Last edited:
That is the first I have heard of that coming on in some kind of off-camber scenario. I assume oil level is all good?

Perhaps sensor is going out? I was looking at that the other day in a schematic... I'll see if I can find that again and post diagram of location. Electrical connector is D6 in this EWD diagram

View attachment 2431964
I’m going to check the level in a couple hours after it cools down. It’s going for an oil change tomorrow anyway.

96D689A3-DFDB-426C-88A7-015A7C7592B2.jpeg

It’s not 100% cooled down, but I think it should have more than that in there.

Yeah... that is close to the low mark

How many miles are you currently at?

I was already going for an oil change tomorrow since it’s at the 10k interval. It supposedly had been changed just before I bought it which was in May. 73k on the odometer. I should have been monitoring it to begin with but I’ve been lazy. I’m going to monitor it going forward. It’s a L/Certified preowned so it does have a warranty.

Damn, curious if they lied about servicing it or if its burning oil. I haven't heard of any doing that especially with that few miles. I can't imagine that a CPO Lexus would have forged service history. What weight oil are you running? If it is in fact consuming oil I'd try moving to a heavier weight oil next.

What year is it? I would bring up the oil consumption issue. I can't say I have seen one at your mileage eating a quart of oil between changes. My '12 @66K miles is right at the top of the dipstick at 5K mile oil changes

Damn, curious if they lied about servicing it or if its burning oil. I haven't heard of any doing that especially with that few miles. I can't imagine that a CPO Lexus would have forged service history. What weight oil are you running? If it is in fact consuming oil I'd try moving to a heavier weight oil next.
That may be the case. It was raining the day I picked it up and they were about to close so I was in a hurry and didn’t go over it thoroughly. The carfax showed a great service history so I was pretty confident in the purchase. I’m going to mention it to them tomorrow when I take it in. I’d like to at least get it documented in case there’s a big issue in the future. Just have to pray the 2 hour trip tomorrow goes well.

What year is it? I would bring up the oil consumption issue. I can't say I have seen one at your mileage eating a quart of oil between changes. My '12 @66K miles is right at the top of the dipstick at 5K mile oil changes
It’s a 2017. Like Tex mentioned, I’m curious whether or not the last oil change was performed when they said it was. Every time I checked the oil on my Toyotas before the oil was always cleaner looking even when it needed changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom