South's FJ40 "Rebuild" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I guess it is about time for me to finally start a thread.
This is my 1974 FJ40:

It has a 2f from a FJ60, 4speed, SOA, It currently has 3 brand new Goodyear MTR 35x12.50x15(old style) and 1 Procomp all terrain 35x12.50x15(for sale) Custom roll bar, and gauge cluster, bucket seats, stock gears with a lunchbox locker in rear. Has VERY thick rattle can white paint job. I believe this is what has saved it from the rust fairy. Paint job is a 80 footer any closer it starts looking kind of rough. Frame and tub are rust free. This is one of the main reasons I choose this one.
IMG_2643.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg

Subscribed!!! nice 40 where did it come from? what's your plan?

Subscribed!!! nice 40 where did it come from? what's your plan?
Born in AZ and lived till 86'. 2nd owner moved around alot and had planed on restoring it. He lost interest sold it to 3rd owner around 07' who lived in Chicago he only drove it on the trails. He is the one did the SOA and other stuff. He has not drove it since march of this year. It has not been titled since 86' from the original owner. I thought it was going to be a pain to get it registered since it was last done in 86' but it was no problem at all.

Plan now is to do a little resto on it, nothing to crazy.

Generally you can tighten oil pan bolts and stop leak. You are way beyond that now. If pan does not want to come off, put a bottle jack between frame and pan. Crank pressure and just leave it. It will bust loose. Don't force it.

I figured I might as well do the timing cover and front crank seal. So I removed the front and the radiator(hoses were shot). I discovered that a 2f has a much larger Crank shaft nut than the 1FZ-FE, 46mm to be exact. I had to go get on at northern tool about $22.00.
Removed pully and found timing cover was missing a bolt. Took cover off and found the other half of the broke bolt. Enough was sticking out that a pair of vise grips removed the rest.
IMG_2669.jpg
IMG_2670.jpg

Generally you can tighten oil pan bolts and stop leak. You are way beyond that now. If pan does not want to come off, put a bottle jack between frame and pan. Crank pressure and just leave it. It will bust loose. Don't force it.

Somebody put about 1inch of gasket maker on the front arch and oil was pouring out of it. The pan came off pretty easy. I figure this is the best way to become familiar with the 40.

I have also removed the water pump. which is in great shape and I will reuse. I removed the Tstat housing, and glad I did because it had gasket maker blocking 90% of the port going to the head. Oil cooler removed and power steering pump removed. Went ahead and took off the exhaust manifold. Now I going to clean the motor and frame and give it a little paint job.

looks like a great start!

i'd highly recommend going with factory toyota gaskets, especially the oil pan. also, the bolts holding the timing cover on are different lengths. the FSM shows the proper lengths and locations. if you mix them up, then you can cause an oil leak by doing so. ask me how i know.....

that's a crazy alternator bracket!

orangefj45 said:
i'd highly recommend going with factory toyota gaskets, especially the oil pan. also, the bolts holding the timing cover on are different lengths. the FSM shows the proper lengths and locations. if you mix them up, then you can cause an oil leak by doing so. ask me how i know.....

that's a crazy alternator bracket!

Going back with the good stuff. Do you have a source on bolts? Do you know of any FSM online? I will be searching today to try and find the proper specs. Any suggestions on the alternator bracket, it seems to work. This thing has a different bolts on everything! My goal is to try and get everything the proper size.

^^^ nice I'm sure I'll need this soon

What's the big picture plan for your 40, Todd?
Street/ wheeler?
Hard core wheeler?
All the above ? ; )

How does she run ?

Body looks to be in real good condition!

Street/Wheeler about like the 80. Ran good just leaked oil. Plan is to go through and make all nuts and bolts correct size! So if it breaks down I don't have to have every different size wrench on the market to fix it. Next I am going to redo all the brake lines. Some are oozing and some of the hard lines are bent to fit and look like sh!t! Then Paint. Tires,Rims,Lockers,Longfeilds,.....Win Lottery!!! so I can pay for it.

......there is ALWAYS something you can add or do different on a 40......

Todd you will learn, as far as 40s, we have a polarization......Jrob and Bodean. jrob gets bored and bodean is on a "how little can I spend and wheel". kick

southff4 said:
,.....Win Lottery!!! so I can pay for it.

Sounds like THE plan!

Todd you will learn, as far as 40s, we have a polarization......Jrob and Bodean. jrob gets bored and bodean is on a "how little can I spend and wheel". kick

its not "how little I can spend and wheel"
its "look at my pretty truck" You get climbing up the slope and it gets real slippery, ask me how I know.

Congrats Todd. GET IT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom