Southern Comforts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

10 hour pot roast.

J

IMG_20161113_130801691.jpg

Thanksgiving is here again...

Just Andrea and I as usual so are menu will be limited but tasty..

Roasted turkey breast w/ giblet gravy
Hasselback gratin potatoes
Cornbread dressing w/ cranberry sauce
Buttermilk biscuits
Haricot Verts and spinach

Pecan pie tarts with homemade vanilla ice cream
Chocolate brown sugar cake with spiced rum pumpkin icing (icebox cake)

and a few cocktails....

Happy Thanksgiving guys,

J & A

Hay Jayson,
You really need a key lime pie to go with that. -)

I like key lime pie, but Andrea isn;t a fan and I'll eat the WHOLE SHEBANG.... So, we try to stick to desserts we both like. I do get key lime occasionally at restaurants.

Hope you and yours have a Happy Turkey Day

J

We're all set up for a good Thanksgiving. We're going to keep a friends German shepherd for the day since they are going away for the Holliday. Going to look at a fj40 next week. If it's good we'll buy it and have a 4x4 to use while Georg is doing his magic with our fj60. Our 60 would then be our camping and long distance vehicle and the 40 more of a short distance and Rubicon type of vehicle. M416 trailer will be used with both. Aside from a f350 tow vehicle, we are converting to all Landcruisers. (Except for sports car stuff). You'll understand the key lime pie thing in a couple of days, but there are a lot of recepies you can use them for or you can cut them up and drink coronas

We're all set up for a good Thanksgiving. We're going to keep a friends German shepherd for the day since they are going away for the Holliday. Going to look at a fj40 next week. If it's good we'll buy it and have a 4x4 to use while Georg is doing his magic with our fj60. Our 60 would then be our camping and long distance vehicle and the 40 more of a short distance and Rubicon type of vehicle. M416 trailer will be used with both. Aside from a f350 tow vehicle, we are converting to all Landcruisers. (Except for sports car stuff). You'll understand the key lime pie thing in a couple of days, but there are a lot of recepies you can use them for or you can cut them up and drink coronas

I gotcha now.. Thanks!

J

Corned beef and cabbage:

Get a nice flat cut brisket. Cut it in half (you'll use half for corned beef and half for homemade pastrami...recipe will be in BBQ thread in a few days) Cut the primary fat cap off...
2016-12-28 18.00.09.jpg

Press some pickling spice into the meat...
2016-12-28 18.05.39.jpg

Throw the rest of the pickling spice in a large stock pot along with 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup kosher salt and dissolve completely. Put both pieces in the stock pot and just cover with cold water. Use a heavy plate to keep submerged and brine refrigerated for 5-7 days.
2016-12-28 18.08.04.jpg

After brine is complete, pull one of the pieces out for the corned beef and completely rinse the brine off. Leave the other in the pot for a total of 10 days for the pastrami (recipe coming...I promise). Cook carrots, onions, celery, and minced garlic just till soft and aromatic (about 10 min.) in a large Dutch oven.
2017-01-01 15.49.53.jpg

Place brisket on top of the veg, add water to just cover the meat and heat to a boil. Boil for 10 min. while skimming as much foam out as you can. Then cook in oven @300 degrees for three hours. Cut some cabbage wedges, drizzle with olive oil and salt/pepper. Throw them in the oven about 30 minutes before the meat is done. Slice meat on the bias and pour the hot cooking liquid on the meat and cabbage...enjoy and happy New Year!
2017-01-01 18.58.45.jpg

Damn, that bread looks good, Jason. Crust looks substantial but like it has some chew instead of just crispiness.

J,

It was very CRISPY and had a little chew. The inside melted in my mouth. She is getting really good at breads. We were out of homemade butter..... That would have the bomb.

I like most have a WEAKNESS for hot bread.

J

Crayfish is finally available locally. My only experience is with the kids and tossing out a sock full of dog food while fishing for trout. Just one or two hors d'oeuvre's boiled and squirted with Franks hot sauce. I am planning on buying several pounds for something easy to toss together this weekend. Any favorites?
Thoughts are to boil with Old Bay or Zatarain's shrimp and crab boil, and something added for heat. Then reduce the boil juice, add some goodies, and use it for some kind of dirty rice.

Crayfish is finally available locally. My only experience is with the kids and tossing out a sock full of dog food while fishing for trout. Just one or two hors d'oeuvre's boiled and squirted with Franks hot sauce. I am planning on buying several pounds for something easy to toss together this weekend. Any favorites?
Thoughts are to boil with Old Bay or Zatarain's shrimp and crab boil, and something added for heat. Then reduce the boil juice, add some goodies, and use it for some kind of dirty rice.

Blackened orange roughy (any white meat fish really) w/ crawfish etouffee is one of my favorites..

J

SAM_1374.JPG

Tasty little bugs, the daughter and I just polished off 3-1/2 pounds of them.:)
Craw1.jpg
craw2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom