Son hit a deer, trying to figure out what is bent (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rooster47

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey,

So my son and I recently purchased a 2007 FJ Cruiser and this past week he hit a deer with it pretty good. Fortunately, body damage is contained to the front bumper, which we were already considering upgrading. Looking at the Shrockworks bumper. Anyway, my main question is about the suspension/steering damage. I am convinced that something is bent, because the space between the upper A arm and the inside of the tire is significantly smaller on the passenger side, where he hit the deer. I'm not sure how to go about determining what in the suspension/steering is damaged. Hoping for advice. I am wondering if the steering knuckle got bent ? Pictures attached.

Thanks

PXL_20221020_213346715.jpg

PXL_20221020_213409593.jpg

PXL_20221020_213447745.jpg

A good alignment shop should tell you wants bent. Definitely looks like the knuckle. Glad your son is ok and was driving that truck. Could have been a lot worse. My son hit a deer in his 98 Corolla and totaled it.
It look like he hit a Mac truck carrying ketchup!

best way to figure that out would be take it to an alignment shop and put it on the rack. before that you can check for play in the tie rod ends, play in the ball joints and see if you can get a look at the lower control arm bushings. just because theres a difference from side to side dosnt necessarily mean that something is bent, it may have been like that before the dear hit

Sounds like I need to take it in. I kind of figured that, but it's a couple hour drive and I'll need to trailer it.

It could have also just moved the lower control arm cams throwing the camber out. Its not uncommon for those large cam washers to just flatten the tabs out on the LCAs even if you dont hit anything.

Alignment rack will tell though!

@
It could have also just moved the lower control arm cams throwing the camber out. Its not uncommon for those large cam washers to just flatten the tabs out on the LCAs even if you dont hit anything.

Alignment rack will tell though!
Okay, this makes more sense. I'm not exactly sure where you are talking about, but I should be able to see that it spun?

best way to figure that out would be take it to an alignment shop and put it on the rack. before that you can check for play in the tie rod ends, play in the ball joints and see if you can get a look at the lower control arm bushings. just because theres a difference from side to side dosnt necessarily mean that something is bent, it may have been like that before the dear hit
Good point. It did cross my mind that it could have already been like due to something else. My wife hit a well head with our suburban and bent the frame, alignment shop did the best they could, but said that one side was back 3/4"... You just never know with a previously owned vehicle

@

Okay, this makes more sense. I'm not exactly sure where you are talking about, but I should be able to see that it spun?
Here's an example of the cam rotating over the side tab. See the accompanying tab still upright on the left.
1666364423573.png

i ran over a deer back in June. I need new lower control arms

Well that turned out to be a waste of a day. Alignment shop said they can't tell what is wrong with it. They would just start replacing parts. They said I should take it to an auto body shop instead. Looks like I just might report it to insurance and let them deal with it...

Well that turned out to be a waste of a day. Alignment shop said they can't tell what is wrong with it. They would just start replacing parts. They said I should take it to an auto body shop instead. Looks like I just might report it to insurance and let them deal with it...
That’s too bad, very frustrating. Some shops don’t like giving extra a effort. Hard to find a good shop these days. Good luck.

Take a look at your lower control arm cam bolts. If they haven’t moved your probably safe it’s just the knuckle. I’d start there with a alignment afterwards and see how it turns out.

Take a look at your lower control arm cam bolts. If they haven’t moved your probably safe it’s just the knuckle. I’d start there with a alignment afterwards and see how it turns out.
Thanks, I did look at the cam bolts as suggested by @BMThiker . They had not spun over the tabs. Though the front one looked like it might have shifted just a small amount.

Find a bodyshop that can do frame straightening type work (not just paint and sheet metal). They will be able to measure things accurately and tell you what's awry.

Thanks, I did look at the cam bolts as suggested by @BMThiker . They had not spun over the tabs. Though the front one looked like it might have shifted just a small amount.
Did you see witness marks on the cam/tabs that make you think it actually moved? Unless you have a pic of what the cams were dialed to before the accident, they may not necessarily match exactly from left to right. That's part of what alignment shops do, tweak the cams until the wheels are aligned, not matchy-matchy the cams.

Find a good collision shop locally. They are best suited for this and you can use your insurance if applicable. Body shops are good for body, Wheel and brake shops are good for wheels and brakes and alignments, but collision shops are best for this type of work, thats all they do and try to get recommendations. The best ones are not cheap but they will fix your FJ and align it and you will be sorted. After 40 years living in my City I know all the best places for all this work.I would say, ask questions and ask the locals. Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom