Some New “New” Wheels! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, so high-speed off-road runs can take out tires! At least the first point of failure will typically be the tire - after which there will be little chance to save the wheel. And if it doesn't bend it will aesthetically be ruined! This also explains why so few have bent a wheel under load - the tire must go first! Unlike with low profile wheel/tire combo on a car whereby the rim can bend on a pothole with a fully intact and inflated tire!

Wow, so high-speed off-road runs can take out tires! At least the first point of failure will typically be the tire - after which there will be little chance to save the wheel. And if it doesn't bend it will aesthetically be ruined! This also explains why so few have bent a wheel under load - the tire must go first! Unlike with low profile wheel/tire combo on a car whereby the rim can bend on a pothole with a fully intact and inflated tire!

I'm thinkin that's a pretty unusual failure. I've personally neither had one nor seen one... (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!) :hillbilly:

I’m not on board with the lower load rating, but my truck is heavy. I have aftermarket front & rear bumpers, fatso sliders, a winch, & a roof rack, and when we headed out to wheel, we had six people in the truck with luggage and a mountain bike.

All of that said, the rims are cool looking.

:smokin:

Hey peeps. Just got this response directly from Black Rhino on the load issue. This was on IG. So we can all de-nerdify ourselves on this load thing. Happy wheel shopping!

991AB759-7D9F-4709-8210-10C75773D6E7.jpeg

Hey peeps. Just got this response directly from Black Rhino on the load issue. This was on IG. So we can all de-nerdify ourselves on this load thing. Happy wheel shopping!

View attachment 1648026

Well ...

First off, their GAWR numbers are wrong - just look at the placard on the door jam of any 200 series Land Cruiser:

LC200DoorSticker2_08FEB16_zps214shkwz.jpg

Front GAWR is 1630KG, not 1800KG.

Rear GAWR is 1950KG, not 2000KG.

As stated on the placard, this is with the P285/60R18 tires inflated to 33psi Cold. That gives us a Load Limit of 2512LB (1139.4KG) per tire -or- 5024LB (2278.8KG) per axle.

According to design criteria, the tire Load Limit should not be less than approx. 117% of the GAWR. Toyota's design has the Front Load Limit at 140% of the Front GAWR, and the Rear Load Limit right at 117% of the Rear GAWR.

What we need to be concerned about with wheel Load Ratings, is the 2512LB (1139.4KG) Load Limit number. At 2250LB/Wheel, as Black Rhino state, the 18" Madness wheels do NOT meet the requirement.

Simply put, if you inflate your stock P285/60R18 tires to the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure of 33psi, you have exceeded the Load Rating of the 18" Madness wheels. No bueno!

But, as I have stated before, your ride, your choice. If you choose to believe a company that can't even get the GAWR numbers correct, what faith can you objectively have in their other numbers?

Caveat Emptor

HTH

Well ...

First off, their GAWR numbers are wrong - just look at the placard on the door jam of any 200 series Land Cruiser:

LC200DoorSticker2_08FEB16_zps214shkwz.jpg

Front GAWR is 1630KG, not 1800KG.

Rear GAWR is 1950KG, not 2000KG.

As stated on the placard, this is with the P285/60R18 tires inflated to 33psi Cold. That gives us a Load Limit of 2512LB (1139.4KG) per tire -or- 5024LB (2278.8KG) per axle.

According to design criteria, the tire Load Limit should not be less than approx. 117% of the GAWR. Toyota's design has the Front Load Limit at 140% of the Front GAWR, and the Rear Load Limit right at 117% of the Rear GAWR.

What we need to be concerned about with wheel Load Ratings, is the 2512LB (1139.4KG) Load Limit number. At 2250LB/Wheel, as Black Rhino state, the 18" Madness wheels do NOT meet the requirement.

Simply put, if you inflate your stock P285/60R18 tires to the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure of 33psi, you have exceeded the Load Rating of the 18" Madness wheels. No bueno!

But, as I have stated before, your ride, your choice. If you choose to believe a company that can't even get the GAWR numbers correct, what faith can you objectively have in their other numbers?

Caveat Emptor

HTH

So let me make sure I understand you. You actually believe that your amateur albeit passionate perspective is the authority over corporations whose sole mission is to build/sell aftermarket wheels for trucks? It is infinitely more likely that you have something incorrect than to assume several entire corporations with engineers, lawyers, and a strong aversion to lawsuits somehow are all wrong but an amateur has it correct!

The alternative is to assert that it is simply luck and coincidence that there have not been any lawsuits - from similarly stupid people as me - laying bare all these manufacturers grave and obvious mistake!

Last edited:
Edit: NM, found the thread where you sold them. Sorry to revive an old thread, but does this mean you have the old Fuel's to get rid of? In the market.

New wheels look good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom