Some AC fan speeds not work? 10 min fix. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious which duct you were able to remove to get access. That is a tricky one to access from the side above the pedal - serious contortionist skills required. Thanks for the link!

@leucadiacruiser that would be the No. 2 Air Side Duct...

upload_2018-6-25_13-27-38.png

Not sure if anyone still follows this thread but it helped me find one of my A/C problems, hopefully. Is there a way to test this resister? It looks like the "clay" is broken in a couple places on mine maybe thats how you know its bad? Regardless I had my A/C on high the other day and it just up and shut off mid stream. None of the fan speeds are working at all. I tested the blower and its working fine so its something between the switch and blower. I like to verify before I buy if theres a way. Thanks in advance!

Make sure you have power getting to the resistor. Fuses ok etc. If you do have power it's probably the resistor. You can test the resistors with a multimeter.
Fuses are all good. I don’t see any detail about how to test with multimeter. I have one and I’m learning but any wisdom or diagrams you are willing to share are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

here is a vid that might help

I thought that when the fan is on high the resistors were bypassed, so that would indicate a problem with power getting to the resistor assembly.
I could be wrong but that's what makes sense.

Thanks a million for getting me started! I like the idea of testing the one at the auto parts store or buying one and comparing. If the old one is good you can return it. All of the fuses in the main panel next to the steering column are good. I’m not aware of any others. I swear I heard a pop like a fuse blowing when the motor shut off. Could have been the resistor I suppose. I’ll keep plugging away. Bad time to have A/C woes in Texas…

before you go ordering, have a look here Blower/Heater circuit breaker tripping - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/blower-heater-circuit-breaker-tripping.872870/

There is a thermal circuit breaker that could likely be the culprit.
Another great find, thank you! I don't see a place on mine where it can be reset with a paper clip. I tried to disasseble it but thats a no go. It also looks like its missing a cover or something. Gonna see if I can find a replacement. Fingers crossed. Thank you again!

here is a vid that might help

I thought that when the fan is on high the resistors were bypassed, so that would indicate a problem with power getting to the resistor assembly.
I could be wrong but that's what makes sense.

Sure looks one hell of a lot more sturdy than the resistor assemblies we have. I wonder if the resistances and pinouts are the same between the two.

Then again in a perfect world I'd have the time and resources to get cracking on a PWM that would be controlled by the factory switch and allow full battery voltage to reach the blower motor.

Maybe one day.....

My original FJ60 fan speed resistor block lasted 31 years until the low speed coil finally crumbled. That's long enough.

82650-20011 that's what's written on the one I just pulled from my 62 wreck
There are 2 of them. I just learned the other one is for the power windows. They are identical
Mine is a 60 so I just have one but its good to know they are the same. Happy Friday and Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom