Blower/Heater circuit breaker tripping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
Any idea why this thing keeps tripping?

Of course it is Africa hot and the A/C is wide open

When this trips the blower fan stops therefore the a/c is useless.

Stick a paperclip in to reset and it's all good. It is listed on the fuse panel diagram as 30A Heater

It worked for :30 after I reset it. It was warm to the touch. Not hot.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1113758

Probably time to replace the brushes on the blower motor or just replace it. Mine did the same thing.

There are some NOS ones floating around ebay- no affiliation with said listings.

No Longer Available.

Discontinued.

I bought the last one from TMS in the U.S. AFAIK.

If they are on eBay, I would be wary unl as you get a picture of the underside of the motor as the part number will be decaled into the base.

You might be able to still get these from Japan.

I know the 24v versions are still available.

There are good aftermarket available. Most do not come with the connector, so you have to either splice or move the conn from the old motor.

The FSM says the first thing to replace is the circuit breaker itself. However, I did that and the new one still trips from time to time. I just don't run the fan on high and it seems to be OK.

A properly working cabin fan motor should draw the following current:

(1) Low: 3.3 A
(2) 5 A
(3) 7 A
(4) Hi 10 A

Initial current draw can spike to 30A when fan is flipped on to high until it gets up to speed.

If my blower fan is on when I use the starter it really taxes the battery.

Switched off the battery fires hard.

I think possibly the fan motor is pulling more amps than that.

Cables in good condition? There is no reason a blower fan should put that much of a load o nthe battery. My AC stays on and on high almost all the time during the summer. I have never noticed the cruiser with a slow start because of it.

Yeah I have a monster cable kit I got from Dearborn a million years ago.

It's a weird deal. The carb is out if tune and the engine is weak so with the a/c going I gotta work the clutch pretty good starting off on hills.

If it dies, it will barely turn over if the blower is cranked up. Turn it off and it fires up

Battery is good and new. It's just a regular interstate 960

IMG_3783.JPG
If you're interested, I have a NOS aftermarket FJ60 fan blower motor, made-in-Canada by Siemens, the OEM for Ford. To the best of my searching, all current replacements are made in China.

I installed one of these Siemens in my rig when my blower motor smoked a few years ago, and I was so impressed with how much it 'blew', I bought another as back up. I'll never use it... You'll have to swap the connector with this one.

Last edited:
View attachment 1113974 If you're interested, I have a NOS aftermarket FJ60 fan blower motor, made-in-Canada by Siemens, the OEM for Ford. To the best of my searching, all current replacements are made in China.

I installed one of these Siemens in my rig when my blower motor smoked a few years ago, and I was so impressed with how much it 'blew', I bought another as back up. I'll never use it... You'll have to swap the connector with this one.

Does it "blow" more or better than stock? Where'd you get this? I bought brushes to re-furbish my blower, but haven't gotten in to it.

I got them a few years ago from an auto electrical supply place. The part # no longer shows on the mfg website so unlikely they're available.

I can't say that they blow better than a new stock Toyo replacement, as I was comparing to my old tired motor when replaced, and I don't have any specs on amp draw, etc. But I can only say there was a big difference between what was there and the replacement.

Where did you find brushes? I initially had looked, but couldn't find any so ended up with this replacement.

Might be an option for the OP if he just wants to replace brushes. Looks very easy on these motors and only takes 10 mins to drop the housing....

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the OP has no interest replacing the brushes!

I got them from the Roger Brown/4crawler website. They aren't exactly plug and play, you have to do a little soldering, but it doesn't look too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom