And the work begins on "Smurfette". (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ZGMikey

SILVER Star
Threads
I posted a ways back when I first got this monster, but since I finally picked a name, decided to start a "real deal" build thread. I'm calling it Smurfette because my kids already ask "Are we there yet?" when we're driving across town (If you've ever watched the show...you get it). We live in Boulder, and affirming what EVERYONE says, it is like living in a bubble. And no...my name is not Papa Smurf!

So....the work begins. Here she is tonight. In the garage.
upload_2017-2-15_22-4-17.png

Just finished a knuckle rebuild. Along with that came new calipers, rotors, and master cylinder. Here's the axle after all the work...
upload_2017-2-15_22-4-34.png

YES...I should have painted it all while I had it apart, but my garage isn't heated. I'll try to paint it all when it warms up and I finally do an OME lift.

So my current question(s) are this... The new master cylinder (Rock Auto PN 13044404) came with a different connection for the low fluid light. I'm going to swap out the connections, keeping the new lid The wire colors don't match. Has anyone done this swap and remember which wire goes where? The new wires are red and black. The old ones are black and White/black stripe (I think...it's tough to tell on this old beast).

Another question - I'm picking up a little bleed through of the knuckle grease coming past the wiper and felt. It's not a lot, but I would assume that it would keep all of it in the knuckle. Did I do something wrong?

Anyway - lots to follow.

Replacing the cats that were formerly cut out - along with the pipe flanges I NEED!!!. I found a "y" pipe from the cats to the muffler at NAPA, I've just got to hope I can get the bolts off of the muffler to attache it. Otherwise, I'm cutting and fabricating. I don't want to do that. No time.

Baseline fluid replacement and tune-up.

Fixing some electrical bugs.

And having a TON of fun.

pretty sure the brake fluid sensor is just a simple switch, so it doesn't matter if you switch the wires. since you're cutting the wires anyway, you could pop the sensor out of the lid and reuse the toyota switch with new rubber

Re the bleed through of knuckle grease past the felt...not sure how much is "a little" nor how many miles you have driven since the rebuild. Some grease does work past the felt for sure. If you've somewhat overfilled the knuckle then you'll get more working past. If you've damaged the inner axle seal then gear oil and grease are mixing and that's making it easier to work past the felt. My guess is you are fine. Post a pic just in case. Also, you can stick a zip tie down the hole where the square plug goes and check the condition of the knuckle grease. That's a great way to see if you have a leaky inner axle seal.

It's not a lot, just a little bit. I haven't filled up the diff yet, so I wouldn't notice any "commingling" of fluids just yet.

I went ahead and just swapped out the connection, keeping the new brake fluid lid. I'll bleed them this weekend, kids permitting, and then update next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom