Solving (sort of) the gas mileage woes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
With it recently getting upwards of $50 to fill the 'ol cruisers tank, I've started to think more seriously about losing the 3FE in favor of something a little more powerful and that gets better gas mileage...my thoughts are:

1HZ
5.3 Chevy Vortec
6.5 Chevy Diesel (they do this in OZ all the time)

From a cost perspective, the 5.3 vortec seems a good choice (14 mpg city/18 mpg highway) and I suppose parts would be available, but the 1HZ toy motor is a possiblility too...

Any other suggestions?

-H- :idea:

Honestly I think a majority of the gas mileage issues are more drivetrain (well, transmission on) related rather than engine related. I don't think you are going to see a huge improvement by going to a GM V8. Diesel on the other hand might help.

But all in all I think the costs of such a conversion would negate the gas mileage increases, if there were any.

Spend the money fixing the Supra, and drive it instead of the cruiser. Drive the cruiser only when you need its capabilities.

I can not imagine you'd get 14/18 mpg with a V8 in any Cruiser, atleast not while driving in normal townish areas. I think the inefficiencies are mostly in the vehicle and the drivetrain, sure the engine isn't helping but doubt it's hurting as much as you might think. One area the V8 might help some is when you're trying to drive a bit faster, with the 3FE (never had one, but from what others have said) you would have to REALLY push it to get any power out of it, therefore your mileage goes downhill, versus driving it at maybe 60% of it's power...if you could do the same thing with the V8, the V8 would make more power at it's 60% level probably.

One thing to think about with diesels is diesel fuel is actually more expensive than gas, atleast around here it is. I do think most diesels get better fuel mileage, but I agree, another cheaper econo car is probaby a better solution than any of those ideas..IMO.

If you are doing it to save on gas $$$ then I think you should look at other alternatives. It will take a long time to recoup any of the costs associated with the swap.

With that said, if more power is the top priority then you have to like the GM V8 swap.

The thing is, I love the truck, and can't really see parting with it, to say, get a Tacoma quad cab and better gas mileage. More power with the same gas mileage might be acceptable....right now it can't even get out of its own way... :doh:

I look at the $$ involved in a swap as cheaper than getting a new car, rather than a pure gas thing...

If it takes $10K to do a great swap, I'll save up and pay cash and have a vehicle I'll drive for another 10 or so years without car payments....

Anyone have experience with the 6.5 liter diesels?

-H-

Rich said:
Spend the money fixing the Supra, and drive it instead of the cruiser. Drive the cruiser only when you need its capabilities.

I'm sure you meant this for the poster and not for me since I wasn't complaining about mileage. :)

Besides, my Supra got much worse gas mileage than my LX ... 8(!!) vs 14
mpg, respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom