[SOLVED] HDJ81 not starting after washing my engine... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I previously posted a similar thread here, but didn't realize it wasn't in the diesel/24v forum, so I'm reposting here with updated information. By the end, you'll realize how absent-minded I am.

So, I made a bonehead move and washed my engine bay without disconnecting the batteries. I only realized what I had done after I heard a pop near the RH power outlet (which doesn't have its cover on). I stopped and disconnected the batteries and assumed the pop was just a fuse in the power outlet box and NBD. When I was done, the truck started, but made a terrible buzzing noise in the START position and the gauges went all over the place. Again, I thought it was NBD and it would dry out and be fine.

It didn't and wasn't. After a couple of trips here and there, refused to start when I went to leave work. Just the buzzing and crazy gauges.

I went through the FSM and tried running a lead from the LH battery straight to the starter, using the MG terminal from the starter relay. The truck started. Yay.

But the problem isn't fixed and I've been trying to go through and rule out what I can. I tested the batteries (fine), fuses (surprisingly, none blown), did the FSM tests for the Voltage Converter Relay (passed) and Starter Relay (passed), and bypassed the fusible links (AM1) near the RH battery (problem persisted).

I have a hard time believing it's the starter switch since it's in the cab after the (perfectly fine) AM1 fusible links, and don't want it to be the Voltage Converter Timer since it's a PITA to get to to test. It seems like the gauges are going crazy because everything's getting 24v instead of 12v, but I'm not an electrical person.

Here's a diagram of the problem area. The green is stuff I've tested and ruled out, the blue line is how I have it bypassed to start the truck and drive it.

1621024132017.png

After work, I'm going to try to find the fusible links near the LH battery and bypass them to see if the problem persists, but I'm running out of ideas and not sure what else I can do to isolate the problem. Any tips on the best way to proceed from you guys would be great.

EDIT: Forgot to add the video of the problem.

Thanks,

stu

Last edited:
Not a lot of activity on this post, but I hate leaving dead ends, so I'm going update as I go.

Today I swapped out the Voltage Converter Relay with a extra one my buddy had. Yeah I know, who keeps a spare VCR for an 81!? This guy. When trying to start the truck, one of the buzzing components was the Glow Plug Relay. Yes, he has a spare one of those too, so we swapped that out as well. Still no starty.

I think I'm going to dig into the passenger side (LH) side/floorboard area to get to the Voltage Converter Timer and do the FSM tests on that, but it was suggested that it might be a grounding issue and I think I agree with that. It makes better sense when put in the context of "this all began when I washed the engine bay".

Since I'm already talking to myself here, I thought I'd just bring it full circle.

I went in today to check all the grounding points and the wiring that goes to them. I started with the RH battery. The negative terminal was snug, but not super tight. I tightened it. My truck now starts when I put the key in and turn, as intended.

Check yo battery connections, folks.

Got a similiar problem. Where is the glow plug relay located on an HDJ-81? Anyone have a pic? Is the fusible link on the batter or off the 24V terminal of the switchover relay?

EDIT: Thar she blows matey!
Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 18.55.17.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom