Solar Cynergy experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to hear this. At $1/watt they were looking really good until now as a great light-weight portable panel. Solar Blvd's web site says they come with a 1-year warranty, but I guess you need to get them to answer email/phone for this to be of any real value.

^ FWIW I spoke to Garret Towne, EE at AM Solar, well regarded retailer in the industry, in Oregon about my flexible/bendable experience. He said his/their experience was similar and they typically will last about 2-years from his/their experience; mine didn't make it past the 6-month mark with occasional use. He went on to relay the owner of AM Solar had them atop his RV but after a bad experience with burned/scorched RV roof top, he pulled them and went rigid.

And like I already knew, but thought Solar Blvd was reputable based upon a little research I did before purchasing from them, the solar industry is full of unscrupulous business practices at all levels. The product guarantees from most "are not worth the paper they're written on".

I decided to go with a couple 100w panels from AM Solar based upon Garret's input.

Are you wiring in series?

Yes but from what I learned yesterday it, relative to two panels and a "12v" battery it won't make a difference if the two panels were connected in parallel (other than the resistance difference for longer runs of connect wire from panel to battery).

There are theoretical arguments in a 12 volt system for doing it in series or in parallel.

Series advantage-Less resistance loss from panels to charge controller (because it's at double the voltage and half the current)

Parallel advantage-Less affected by partial shade on 1 panel. Advantage #2--can still use cheaper PWM controllers

In a simple 12 volt system-agree, little difference.

You'll have a lot of power with a 200 watt set up. Maybe 12 charging amps into a 12 volt battery bank. Very curious to see your set up, especially if you are resistance heating water to feed the 'spresso habit. Can't wait to hit the 'spresso stand.

I hope all this doesn't mean the 'spresso stand will only be open on sunny days. :coffee:

There's always the alternator back up. Or the pour over style EspressoForge. Not to worry my friend! :D

There are theoretical arguments in a 12 volt system for doing it in series or in parallel.

Series advantage-Less resistance loss from panels to charge controller (because it's at double the voltage and half the current)

Parallel advantage-Less affected by partial shade on 1 panel. Advantage #2--can still use cheaper PWM controllers

In a simple 12 volt system-agree, little difference.

You'll have a lot of power with a 200 watt set up. Maybe 12 charging amps into a 12 volt battery bank. Very curious to see your set up, especially if you are resistance heating water to feed the 'spresso habit. Can't wait to hit the 'spresso stand.

We've already been using the system so proof of concept is behind us :D. With better PV panels it will only work better. It could all blow up tomorrow but so far the LiFePO4 has met expectations. I even use it to power electric tools when working on the trailer at the storage unit. Certainly not inexpensive but so far, bendable panels aside, I'm very happy with the system.

And the Triton bluetooth app lets me easily and quickly see real time PV to controller to battery status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom