So now that you have had the FJ Cruiser for a few weeks/months..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
To those of you who own the FJ Cruiser already what is your honest feedback after living with the truck for the past few months/weeks. What are the likes/dislikes so far? Has your opinion changed since you first got the truck? Is anything better/worse then you first figured? Anyone?

Thanks,
Zack

Noticeable door rattle when hitting rough washboarded roads.It might just need some adjustment. Other than that it kicks ass.

Take it to the dealer and make them fix it. A precedent should be set where things like that are deemed un-acceptable. I did the same thing with any new vehicle I have purchased, whether car, suv or motorcycle. It shouldn't do that - fix it. That is what I would tell them.

My likes and dislikes...

Overall retro look (white roof, bezel, roof rack, spare tire mount, etc.)
Interior is minamilist but very functional
Decent power for a 5,500 pound truck from the VVT-1 engine

Dislikes:

Urethene steering wheel cover (base model)
$69 ash tray (Thanks SE Toyota Distributors!)
$699 Toyoguard Plus Protection Group (Thanks again SE Toyota Distributors!)

• Fun to drive: Hard to explain but I just like being behind the wheel.
  • Quality: High quality – test drove a number of vehicles before buying the FJ; Toyota is just a cut above the rest.
  • Manual Transmission: Hard to find a manual these days; I believe the FJ is the only Toyota SUV that comes with one and Nissan only has one as well (Xterra)
  • Full time 4wd: Living with snow half of the year makes this a real selling feature form me; you can use 4H in the deep stuff but the full time 4wd is great where conditions are inconsistent.
  • Capable: Very capable for the off roading I’ll be doing (not looking to take on the hard core rock crawling thing)
    Functional: Like to get out mountain biking, hiking and skiing; by adding a hitch (and bike rack) it makes my life easy. The no carpet / water repellent seats are a big part of this.
Dislikes:
  • Bumpers: Cheap plastic end caps
  • Plastics: Way better than what I was expecting based on early prototypes but prone to scratching in some areas (e.g. lower door panels)
  • Nooks and Crannies: Doesn’t seem to be a lot of places to dump change or store CDs; what does exist is not covered
  • Visibility: I was hesitant to even list this one as it’s not a big deal – could be an issue if you have to make a really quick (emergency) lane change and it’s dark and/or raining. Haven’t experienced any issues so far.
With all of that said, this is the vehicle I have enjoyed the most – to this point in my life anyway. Would I buy it again – absolutely.

Well, I'll have to agree with the two previous posters. I am absolutely satisfied with my FJ Cruiser (It's only been two weeks so far).

The biggest minus, as stated above, is the lack of some kind of center console to put stuff in.

I immediately plugged my IPOD into the AUX jack and have an almost unlimited music supply. Add the MP3 ready CD changer and you are set!

I can hardly stand it..... I don't have mine yet (estimated time of arrival was uncertain) and I have a list of things I want to do to it, inside and out. I am a gadget nut, so you can only imagine how people describing how they added this or that electronic toy to their FJ drives me insane..... lol

:beer:

easy to maintain interior
most importantly...that huge stupid grin that I get when driving it..

Dislikes:
visability over the hood

Overall: I have not enjoyed a vehicle purchase this much in...welll...ever.

Great looks.
Surprisingly capable off-raod even with the factory tires.
Manual trnasmission in a modern SUV.
Ample power.
Better gas mileage than my 4Runner

Dislikes:
Seatbelts attached to suicide doors so front seat has to undo belt for back seat to get out.
Reverse next to 1st gear with no lock-out.
Dim radio display.
Not enough 12volt outlets.

Overall: This vehicle is fun to drive, uses less gas than expected and is more comfortable and capable than expected.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to address a few things that I like/don't like that hasn't been mentioned.

- FJammer sounds good, love the built in MP3/WMA ability
- The cushoined and rubberized floor
- Visibilty is not an issue, the side mirrors have large field of view
- many more, but stated by many before me

Dislikes: being VERY critical
- THOSE DAMN STOCK TIRES
- The skid plate hold a lot of mud
- Hard to clean dirt off that plastic trim on the bottom
- Being stared at on the road

Overall, I have been extremely impressed. I just took a 500 mile trip today and it was a comfortable ride. I did stop in a small town and the people looked at me like I landed in a flying saucer.

Been an owner for a month now and I love it..
silly grin on my face when driving the damn thing, I can't describe the feeling but I just love being behind the wheel. Has good power comfort ride easy to maintain people stare though, but that's ok..

Has a great look to it rugged, and classy to me anyway...

I've had mine for about 3 weeks. I like most everytheng about it, but 2 drawbacks are lack of illumination of switches and inability to see many of the traffic lights when I am stopped at them without leaning over to look up. Visibility over the hood is not that bad, but I am used to a full size truck.

satisfaction

Well I must say that I am very satisfied with my FJ. I purchased the Silver model 4wd auto so the wife can drive it too. I have found that there is a fair amount of wind noise from the roof rack, and there is a lack of storage space for little things. The only thing I want to fix is turning off that annoying seat belt buzzer! The plus is it gets better gas milage than my ZR2. On a cosmetic note, I wish the corner windows were real windows like my 73 FJ.

turk said:
Well I must say that I am very satisfied with my FJ. I purchased the Silver model 4wd auto so the wife can drive it too. I have found that there is a fair amount of wind noise from the roof rack, and there is a lack of storage space for little things. The only thing I want to fix is turning off that annoying seat belt buzzer! The plus is it gets better gas milage than my ZR2. On a cosmetic note, I wish the corner windows were real windows like my 73 FJ.

I can help you with one of these issues - here's how to turn the seat belt buzzer off (cut and paste from another forum). Tried it with my FJ and it worked like a charm - not that I'm endorsing driving without a seat belt.

Seat belt chime
  • Turn the ignition switch on (without starting car)
  • Press the ODO/TRIP switch until the odometer displays "ODO"
  • Turn the ignition switch off
  • Turn the ignition switch on
  • Press ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds after turning the power switch ON) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.
  • Continue holding the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the front driver's seat belt
  • Check that the odometer displays either "b-on" or "b-off" (it will be "b-on")
  • Press the ODO/TRIP button to change the display to "b-off".
  • Turn the ignition switch off.
  • Turn the ignition switch on while depressing the brake pedal.
  • Check that no buzzer sounds (driver or passenger)

well, i have put about 40 miles on my FJ so far, and WOW. What a FUN truck to drive! I am not sure how to descibe it, but there is something about it that just feels different and special. Granted there are hardly any on the roads right now, but there is a really nice solid quality sort of feel to the truck. It kinda reminds me of the first time I drove a Mercedes-Benz and was amazed at how solid it felt. Same thing with the cruiser. I really like it and recommend it to any one even thinking about getting one. Try it out...you wont be disappointed.

First New Car

I have about 1500 miles on my FJC (yellow 4x4 auto). As this is my first "new" car, I can't say too much about how it rates against other new cars but damn, I can't imagine having more fun driving anything else. I am impressed with the gas mileage, the ride, handling, comfort, and most everthing else. I don't think the stereo has great sound (I'm a musician so I might be a little jaded), the visibility is a little less than I'm was used to but I am already gettin used to it, and more room for misc. stuff would have been good but knowing me I would have just filled it up and still thrown the rest on the floor! My fiancee didn't think much of it at first until I let her drive it (white knuckle time), now she asks to drive it all of the time !

:cool:

Damn near everyone asks me about the thing. At a stoplight, parking lot, whereever.
Comfy to drive over distance.
Family AND dogs AND stuff fits for camping

Dislikes:
Damn near every guy uses this thing to hit on my wife. Look at the ring boys, she's not interested in you no matter what stupid questions you ask about her new toy.
Sun visors seem like they're a mile away and just about useless for side sun.
Stop light visibility.
Stock tires sucked my butt (and have been replaced)

Very fun vehicle, we enjoy it and look forward to putting it through it's paces.

inthewall said:
Noticeable door rattle when hitting rough washboarded roads.It might just need some adjustment. Other than that it kicks ass.
Is it the door rattling in the frame or is it stuff inside the door rattling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom