So-California Fj40 - native to the core - 1977 - Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice and pretty much unmolested except for the blower under the hood;) Congrats on it.

Sweet! Still has the 76/77 CA spec carb cooling fan and the elbow on the air intake. It took me a long time to track one of those down for my CA spec 77. Can you get an up close pic of the exhaust manifold? I wonder if it still has the thermal reactor manifold.

Sweet! Still has the 76/77 CA spec carb cooling fan and the elbow on the air intake. It took me a long time to track one of those down for my CA spec 77. Can you get an up close pic of the exhaust manifold? I wonder if it still has the thermal reactor manifold.
Yes, will snag tomorrow!

Is that fan actually a CA emissions thing? I thought it was a PO mod. I've never seen anything like that before.

I thought it was a PO mod.

Nope, it's an OEM carb cooling fan and it's glorious! Only came on the 76/77 CA spec trucks.

Last edited:
Well I'll be dipped in defication! You learn something every day with this group.

The first time each summer my fan kicks on always produces a grin.
Nice rig!
It's rare that I can get mine to kick on anymore since I had to swap out my cracked thermal reactor manifold (I did keep it in case I ever find someone willing to weld cast iron). I did test the thermistor and logic board with a heat gun and IR thermometer and it closes the circuit when it's 180 degrees or so. The Fed spec manifold just doesn't retain enough heat to trigger it.

It's rare that I can get mine to kick on anymore since I had to swap out my cracked thermal reactor manifold (I did keep it in case I ever find someone willing to weld cast iron). I did test the thermistor and logic board with a heat gun and IR thermometer and it closes the circuit when it's 180 degrees or so. The Fed spec manifold just doesn't retain enough heat to trigger it.
This one is intact (luckily!) and working. I'll snag a shot tomorrow at some point of the manifold, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom