Snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided as another way to get outside air into the engine compartment I would add another snorkel to the DS US. I could not find one that was already made (thanks Jim Phillips for trying, and CDan for looking up fenders), so I decided to fab one up myself. First, I booty fabbed one out of ABS pipe but didn't like it, so I decided to fab one out of metal. I welded it up and now am covering it with fiberglass. That way if it rusts away the fiberglass will still be there. I am filling it with some Army paint I have which will coat the inside to try to make it last awhile. I will build a box inside the fender with either an oil cooler or a trans cooler with a squirrel cage fan. Some folks don't like snorkels so two on one rig may make them barf. :D I will probably have it finished in three days with bondo and paint and will post a finished pic. For now here is a pic of the metal cutout, and of the test fitting.

Bill

Test fit

.... One day you'll have to sit down and do an 'Expedition 80' writeup !

:cheers:

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

I like it, good work.

FWIW I have seen a mini truck with 2 ARB snorkles........it just passed me on I-5 this weekend.

Cool Photo.

Only bad thing is I saw a post recently saying that someone was trying to make it illegal to take a truck offroad if it had it's air intake higher than stock. May not be an issue anyway since we could get documentation that these were an OEM option in places like OZ, but it's just more legislation to beware of.

Very cool with the dual though. What the heck, if have one, may as well have two. :D

DUMB QUESTION ALERT!

Is this snorkel to just get free flowing air into the engine compartment (kinda like what you said) or is it plumbed into the intake somehow?

At any rate, awesome job on your periscope/rocket launcher so far! ::)

That snorkel looks better than the Safari - good job !!

You see, Bill is into redundant systems on his rig. This one is a back-up in case the primary fails :flipoff2:

Welcome back Dan....trip report?

Photo...looks nice, I'm interested to see it once you're done. I know that a lot of your work is to help cool your engine compartment. I remember reading posts previously about hood scoops....did you ever get anywhere with that? Similar I guess to what you see in the sport 4Runner.

I'm still in Mexico :cheers: :beer:

I may never come back ::)

Shocker - Right now the idea is to use it for a tranny cooler. As with everything I do, it could change. :eek:

Safado - I went with hood louvers for now. If you look in the pic you can see one of the holes in the hood for a louver. Actually, I was kicking it around about mounting an intercooler above the valve cover, cutting the hood to fit over it, and putting a hood scoop on to cover it and feed air to it. That has changed now and I may go another way. But who knows.

Junk - don't go sticking pins in my balloon.

Dan - is the fishing that good? :flipoff2:

Bill

Photo, please make sure to post a pic that shows both snorkels. I need one to print out to show my squaw what's coming next :D

Hey Photo,

Have you wrapped your exhaust yet to help bring down those under hood temps?
I wrapped mine from the around the exhaust manifold and from the turbo (blanket) down to the cat converter. That way most of the heat doesn't start till it gets to or past the cat converter.

Yomama

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=13659;start=msg126648#msg126648 date=1080183286]
I need one to print out to show my squaw what's coming next :D
[/quote]

Junk-
My wife saw this. If you see an angry feminist heading your way with a frying pan, DUCK! :eek:

Was wondering if anyone would catch that.

Photo,

That so-called booty fab snorkel looks AWESOME!! I like it a lot. You should consider going into production on them! Heck, I'd get one for my 80 over ARB if you did just to support a fellow forum addict. Maybe one for my 40 as well !!!

Can't wait to see pics of both snorkels mounted up. Your rig is pretty cool.

Jody.

Man, talk about a truck being a work in (perpetual) progress...!
E

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=13659;start=msg126508#msg126508 date=1080167896]

Only bad thing is I saw a post recently saying that someone was trying to make it illegal to take a truck offroad if it had it's air intake higher than stock. May not be an issue anyway since we could get documentation that these were an OEM option in places like OZ, but it's just more legislation to beware of.
[/quote]

Sorry for the hijack but Junk - Why would anybody care about stopping off-roaders if the air intake was higher than stock? I just don't get it.... Are they worried that the off-roaders will go into deep water and disturb rivers and such? This is a weird way to go about it. I simply don't understand why anyone would care if others had a snorkle. ???

Riley

yomama, what did you wrap your exhaust with? I'm redoing my exhuast system (headers back) and that sounds like a good thing to do while I'm in there. I'm fairly new to landcruisers and offroading so anyother newbie advice you wanna throw in would be great. (ie downsides to insulating the exhaust).

And since this is a snorkel post and all... has anyone made a snorkel for an exhaust? Is it necessary to prevet hydrolock? Am I confusing what hydrolock acutally is? Is the pressure from the gasses excaping from the engine to twart the water's advance? Is there a danger crackin your block etc fording really cold water (ie in winter time)?
Thanks
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom