SMORR 2020 - Kessler Run - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Put on your calendar in PEN, October 1-3 for our annual SMORR fall crawl event and the second annual Kessler Run, in memory of our friend Rob Kessler.

SMORR is located just outside of Seymour Missouri, which is about 30 minutes East of Springfield. Southern Missouri is home to the Mark Twain national forest, known for the dense woods and never-ending hills; which is perfect for our off-roading fun. I find it hard to describe the terrain, as it really cannot be captured in a picture or fully conveyed in words. Diversity in the trails is one of the things that makes the 754 feet of elevation changes fun. You can find challenging trails that are mainly slate rock, while others are comprised of sandstone. Then there are shale / loose rock , V groove trails, limestone ledges, and even river rock wet creek beds. For those that just want to get your daily driver off the pavement, the main trail (Ranch Road) is suitable for any stock rig to get home without any scratches for your spouse to nag about.

Tornado Alley Cruisers is organizing and hosting this event; however, we are not doing any raffle or have any additional fees over the normal park fees. We believe that SMORR is one of the premier locations in our region and arguably nationwide. Amenities and diversity of trails are what make SMORR such a great place to wheel.

So, what is SMORR? Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch is the answer. Why is it called a “Ranch” and not a Park? First off, it is a working Ranch, with a herd of horses that welcome you at the front of the facility. The other reason is because it is so much more than the typical park in the amenities and easy access both to the campground and the trails. The facility is just 500 feet down the flat level driveway, just off a winding Missouri highway. A few seconds later your rig or toy hauler could be parked in one of the 45 electric slots along the tree lined camping area. The slightly rolling hills hold plenty of camping area for those with tents or desire to sleep more old school style. Firewood is available for those like me who want to keep up those open campfire cooking Boy Scout skills, otherwise you can walk a few steps over to the food bar, that will keep your belly full and happy. Turn to the left and you find a heated and air conditioned bath house, sure to knock of the dust from a long day on the trails and get you ready for night wheeling.

Tornado Alley Cruisers prides itself on being an organization that is geared toward providing a family friendly, safe atmosphere. Does that mean no alcohol?? Heck no. Does it mean no obscene language or behavior in front of the kids. Heck yes. We want everyone to be respectful of others. We reserve the right to ask those who can’t understand this to move to alternate campsites, far from the rest of us, and we may ask you to not return in future years.

Both electric and primitive camping are available at the park, with those fees paid directly to the park. Reservations for the electric sites are available by calling the park at 417-773-4084 or emailing Brandon Powell at jacksforkland@gmail.com. Tent camping is available on a first come, first serve basis. There is plenty of room for both RV and tent camping. Rates can be found at www.smorr.net. To reserve an electric site, email them. We have reserved 29-32 sites.

For those not wishing to camp, lodging is available at the Super 8 in Ava, Mo. Their address is 1711 S. Jefferson Ave, Ava, MO, and their phone number is 417-683-1343.

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSCF2681.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. Looks fun. Is there a sign up for the trails by group or something? or just people show up and form small groups on the fly? The only organized off road event I have ever been to was LCDC just last month. That was pretty organized with specific trail sign ups with 8 truck limits per group. I may not
camp as I could just drive in from my Lake place on Pomme de Terre.

Nothing to sign up for. Typically we have multiple groups leave about 9am, then come back around lunchtime and regroup for another run until dinner then go out once it gets dark. Night wheeling is the best!!!

FYI, the club has reserved sites 29-32 for the weekend.

Hope everyone is going to be able to attend.... so who is planning to be there??

I will be there with my new FToy,

The Kessler brothers will be there with Lexi

In. If anyone has a rig with a trailer hitch not being used going down, I could use some help getting a 2100 lb teardrop camper down there.

I'll have to talk to the wife. Our old dog (my avatar) isn't up for travel anymore and someone has to be able to stay home with him. Sucks watching your best buddy not be able to do the things they love anymore :frown:

I'm planning on joining but only on Saturday the 3rd. From the above, thats the last day will people be running trails all day and going home Sunday morning?

Working out logistics now. Thinking down Friday after work. Stay and camp Saturday, home Sunday.

Will be bringing the 100 to stretch her highway legs some. since we’re coming down for a day, probably just gonna enjoy some company and bounce around during the day.

I'm planning on joining but only on Saturday the 3rd. From the above, thats the last day will people be running trails all day and going home Sunday morning?

Correct, most people load up Sunday after breakfast and head home.

Danica and I will be there. Hope Thursday night. If not it will be Friday

My wife, daughter and I will be there. We reserved site #28 since we are bringing a camper. We will be in our 100 and get there Friday night also.

What HAM channel did we use last year as a club? I want to get more familiar with my radio before I get down there this year.

I should be able to make it down for this. I’ll be solo in the Tacoma and will probably come down on Thursday. Do I need to call and reserve a spot?

I should be able to make it down for this. I’ll be solo in the Tacoma and will probably come down on Thursday. Do I need to call and reserve a spot?
If you are tent camping, no need to reserve.

My wife, daughter and I will be there. We reserved site #28 since we are bringing a camper. We will be in our 100 and get there Friday night also.

What HAM channel did we use last year as a club? I want to get more familiar with my radio before I get down there this year.

I'm in with my wife Mindy and daughter Rosey. Rosey's boyfriend is a question mark.

Trying to talk son Loren and his new wife into coming.

:bounce:

I wanted to let everyone know that the Kessler brothers are going to provide dinner on Saturday night. Joey is smoking up BBQ pork butts and related sides and we also have hotdogs and brauts for the kids. If you’re looking for something leafy and green, you probably better bring it yourself!
1600737981138.jpeg

Well, I was really looking forward to this but I’m out. Currently sitting in the parking lot at the Animal Emergency Hospital in Lees Summit. One of the fur children ran out in the road and was hit by a truck tonight. He took a good hit, has a large laceration on his chest but is currently stable. Waiting to find out what treatment will be needed and how deep in the wallet I’ll need to dig.

2020 sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom