smooting out my ride? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kevin, it doesn't sound like you're as interested in a lift as you are in improving the ride. So, first I would try and restore any suppleness that might have been lost due to age and corrosion. Then, having done all you can, you can decide your best course. Yes, cleaning and lubing the shackles is good. But what I would do first is break free any interleaf corrosion/ that might be fusing the leafs together. Unweigh the springs. Then, using a big screwdriver, pry the outer edge of each leaf down and spray between them using a generous amount of penetrating oil. WD-40 will even do. Don't pinch the ant-friction pads in the process (if you've got them). You're just cleaning, lubing and ruling out one of the causes of your harsh ride.

Also, a while back I was using KYB gas shocks. ...way too stiff.

[quote author=Romer link=board=1;threadid=13292;start=msg123315#msg123315 date=1079636947]
It's almost as bad as asking which is the BEST Motor Oil.
[/quote]

Romer you ignorant so and so. Everybody knows Rotella-T is far and away the best motor oil to use. How can you be so naive? :D :D

On topic, I have a set of 4" BDS springpacks on the way. Will let you all know how they feel. Right now my truck rides like an unsprung buckboard. Stock front, but the rears are re-arched with an extra leaf. (Didn't ask for the extra leaf, he just did it. :( )

I've heard re-arching doesn't last long. I'll never know since I'm pulling them off after about a year.

t

I agree with Jwest. Fix what you have, then decide. Changing springs won't necessarily improve your ride. Getting those shackles moving and your springs sliding they way they were intended to WILL improve things.

And air down those tires a bit.

[quote author=theo link=board=1;threadid=13292;start=msg123346#msg123346 date=1079640004]
Romer you ignorant so and so. Everybody knows Rotella-T is far and away the best motor oil to use. How can you be so naive? :D :D
[/quote]

Only someone from Montana would think that Rotella is the best motor oil. Isn't that were the women are few and the sheep are scared? :flipoff2:

:cheers:

[quote author=Romer link=board=1;threadid=13292;start=msg123413#msg123413 date=1079644708]
Only someone from Montana would think that Rotella is the best motor oil. Isn't that were the women are few and the sheep are scared? :flipoff2:

:cheers:
[/quote]

You're confusing us with kiwis. Those buggers all wear irrigation boots. In Montana we're civilized!
Here's the last blind date I had. What a ball.

When I took my stock springs off and gave them a once-over I found that the tops of the shorter leaves (leafs) had actually worn into the bottom of the longer ones and made small ledges that the short leaves had to "get over" in order for the leaf to slide. After the S/R and lifted springs the ride is still stiff but it is no longer has the sharp jar to it. When I replaced the springs I greased the packs before assembly, it seemed to help. I dunno,... maybe a 3G jar instead of a 6G jar?

Take your springs off, replace your bushings with poly bushings (SOR/TPI/anyone) and grease em up. Take a spatula or butter knife and grease the in between the leaves.
Taller tires/lower pressures help a LOT with the ride.
With my 4" Skyjacker springs I can hit speed humps at 45 mph and while I feel it, there is no harsh jar, or bumpiness, I hit the bump, get some air, come back down and thats it.

[quote author=theo link=board=1;threadid=13292;start=msg123427#msg123427 date=1079647296]
You're confusing us with kiwis. Those buggers all wear irrigation boots. In Montana we're civilized!
Here's the last blind date I had. What a ball.

[/quote]

ROTFLOL - Elegance seems to be your strong suit...

Mike S

Kevin,
Lots of good suggestions have been given. One thing (I think) that no one addressed is your concern about the shackle angle. You do NOT want them perpendicular (90 degrees) to the ground. General consensus is 30-45 degrees is best.

If you don't want a lift. I would remove the springs and replace all the bushings and wear items and disassemble, clean and paint the factory springs. Also new SOFT shocks.
See how you like that.

If you do want a lift, I am hearing good things about CCOT's HFS system. A friend just went from stock susp. to the HFS and loves it. Say the ride much smoother. FWIW he is running 31-9.50-15 on stock rims.
AVOID RANCHO. Had it, hated it.

Good luck,
CAS

[quote author=Romer link=board=1;threadid=13292;start=msg123413#msg123413 date=1079644708]
Only someone from Montana would think that Rotel is the best motor oil.

[/quote]

I thought Ro*Tel was from Texas. You put a can of this in your engine and who knows what would happen. :D

pic_can_original.gif

...well then, how about the additives.
This sauce should put some zing in your ride. :D

ass_arm.jpg

Panzer,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to your response. So I want about a 30 degree angle on my shackle. I have that, so maybe my springs are not worn out? I know I only have about 1 inch b/t the axle and the rubber stop that is on the frame. Does that sound about right? If not, is there another way to tell if my springs are worn. Everyone has mentioned taking my springs apart and painting them. I have never taken apart leaf springs. I know that there are 3 clamps that look like they can be pryed apart. Is that how I take the springs apart? There is also a pin in the middle near where the U bolts are. Does that pin also pound out? If I am going to take them apart, I might as well install those anti friction material b/t the leaf. JT outfitters is selling "Slinky strips". I figured I would try those out. So I still have two questions. Can I take my springs apart, and two are my springs worn out. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom