Smogged....do I need it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a FJ55 with a 350 SBC and its smogged for CA. I bought it in CA but it registered in CO. I'm Military so I don't need to keep it current. What is to gain by desmogging the truck or should I just leave it on? Thanks 8)

Come on! Some one has to know something about smogging these trucks. Can I take it off and improve performance or does leaving it on improve mileage? Throw me a bone...I am from Colorado and haven't ever dealt with this California Smog crap!

Thanks

Most Colorado front range communities require smog testing - not sure if military personal are exempt. Is the truck registered "on base"? Fortunately since the cruiser is pre 1981, the standards are rather loose and the test is easy to pass as long as all the required hardware is present. The gains to be made from desmogging are small a best. You probably won't notice a change in milage and might get some knocking with the EGR disconnected. Most desmog efforts I've seen are the result of an owner frustrated with mantaining the smog hardware. I'd leave your truck the way it is. As soon as its desmogged, it becomes much harder to sell.

I agree. De smogging it isn't worth the effort. You can get 90% of the small performance gain from plugging the EGR actuator line, but it only works under high speed cruising speeds anyway.

:D :D :D Thanks! That is why I love this site. It is the answer I suspected and am glad to leave it be. Thanks again. Dan

If all your doing is pumping air into the exhaust (post combustion) isn't it just diluting the waste and makes the politicians feel like they are doing something. Never mind we have to pay extra up front and $40 a year so they get that warm fuzzy keoto feeling!

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=7728;start=msg65288#msg65288 date=1069278997]
If all your doing is pumping air into the exhaust (post combustion) isn't it just diluting the waste and makes the politicians feel like they are doing something[/quote]

No, I think there's more to it. By adding oxygen after combustion, you can burn the hydrocarbons that remain. I'm not an expert on this, but I'm sure there's more to it than "diluting" the exhaust.

Trevor: Figured there was more to it than that but I was just venting. I'm sure it saves tons of the ozone, never mind the recent hydrocarbon bolus from recent forest fires that could have been prevented (in large part).

I removed mine and the truck runs much much better. No big performace gains but about a tenth of the crap to trouble shoot if something isn't running well. I would also put money on the fact that my emissions are way lower without all that crap just based on the fact that the thing can run without sputtering and hesitating all the time. Glad I took mine off, but all things being equal if it was running 100% with it on I would leave it on.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom