Smog check/catalytic converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

This is my first time trying to get my 2000 lc smogged in commifornia. First time the mechanic told me that the catalytic converter sensor wasn’t responding properly. He asked if I had recently unhooked the battery, which I had done to install some new headlights. The mechanics recommendation was to drive it at least 100 miles in a single trip and test it again.

Well I have driven over 200 miles in the last week and when they tried it today the same thing happened. Has anyone had this issue before or know how I can fix it?

Yes, pulling the battery put the ECU into start mode for emissions testing. Get yourself a cheap OBD scanner off Amazon and the Torque app on your phone. That will show the readiness for testing. You have to go through several drive cycles and different types of driving before the ECU trips to ready to test. Dealing with the same thing now on a Subaru I rebuilt the motor on. Make sure your driving is varied, not just only highway. There's also plenty of talk online about making sure the gas is always between 1/4 and 3/4, even turning the AC and rear defrost on, but I guessing those are internet lore.

Yes, pulling the battery put the ECU into start mode for emissions testing. Get yourself a cheap OBD scanner off Amazon and the Torque app on your phone. That will show the readiness for testing. You have to go through several drive cycles and different types of driving before the ECU trips to ready to test. Dealing with the same thing now on a Subaru I rebuilt the motor on. Make sure your driving is varied, not just only highway. There's also plenty of talk online about making sure the gas is always between 1/4 and 3/4, even turning the AC and rear defrost on, but I guessing those are internet lore.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I just ordered an one reader. Thank you amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom