Smittybilt Center Console Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is what I did for a cup holder. It's low enough to not interfere with the seats folding forward but you would have to relocate your 12v plugs.

Where can you get those? I don't want to move the outlets, but I fold and tumble the seats infrequently enough that I'd consider mounting something like that with thumbscrews or such for quick removal.

Just ordered a pair of these from amazon. They're cheap at least.

Amazon.com: American Technology CH-00100-BLK-1 THE MUGGER Black HD Folding Cup Holder: Automotive
cupholder.jpg

Here is what I did for a cup holder. It's low enough to not interfere with the seats folding forward but you would have to relocate your 12v plugs.

Those are sweet!

You can pick those folding ones up at Academy or any store like it. I got one in my Cruiser on the back of the console. Nothing fancy, but works fine and folds out of the way of my kids/dog/seats.

I just saw that there are now two models. There's one with a stereo compartment now. I think that must be new, as I definitely would have considered that for the radio.

Here are some links.
The one I got: Security Floor Consoles - Smittybilt
The one with the stereo compartment: Security Stereo Floor Consoles - Smittybilt

The stereo compartment one is 5 inches longer, so it wouldn't have worked for me anyway. But could be an option if you never tumble your 2nd row seats.

Nice install!! I'd suggest drilling some holes in the ALUM near the bottom of the HAM compartment so that cool air can go in and escape out the top. This will keep that radio much cooler and happier.

Nice write-up and well-documented. Thanks...

I'm not sure I caught it, but if you haven't already, I'd fuse the console supply wire somewhere very close to the source. Maybe no problem now, but vibration and being close to something metal... voice of experience...

You've motivated me! I'm gonna do one like this in my '62.

Dan.

Nice install!! I'd suggest drilling some holes in the ALUM near the bottom of the HAM compartment so that cool air can go in and escape out the top. This will keep that radio much cooler and happier.

Thanks!
There's actually a 40mm fan in the side of the console that suck cool air into the radio compartment and blows it out some vent holes at the top. So I should be good there!

Nice write-up and well-documented. Thanks...

I'm not sure I caught it, but if you haven't already, I'd fuse the console supply wire somewhere very close to the source. Maybe no problem now, but vibration and being close to something metal... voice of experience...

You've motivated me! I'm gonna do one like this in my '62.

Dan.

Thanks! Yes, there's actually a 60A maxi-fuse about 8" from the battery. I also sleeved the wire with that plastic wire loom in places where it might rub. For reference, the radio can draw up to 25A, the inverter up to 15A and 12V outlets are usually fused to 15A each. So a 60A fuse is a little low, but I don't ever expect to max out everything at once. And a spare fuse in the glovebox if I do!

Last edited:
So what's this one? Looks like a Tuffy, but different.
P1010109.JPG

EricG said:
The stereo compartment one is 5 inches longer, so it wouldn't have worked for me anyway. But could be an option if you never tumble your 2nd row seats.

Great writeup.

If the cup holder is cut off of the front it fits with tumbled seats, but leaves a slight gap between the console and the shifter surround.

I then placed the rear skirt in position around the rear heater outlet. I traced the heater outlet to drill vent holes. With this in place, you can also measure the required height for the mounting bracket.
View attachment 593041

@EricG - Did you make this rear skirt or did it come with the console?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom