SMC 3rd Annual Skyline Ride / Feb. 21-22, 2009 / Skyline, AL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

werd

SILVER Star
Threads
SMC will be having another Skyline Ride coming up in February. This will be the first DixieLand Cruisers ride of 2009!

Please make plans to attend.

I know several of us were planning to make the ride earlier this month, but couldn't make it at the last minute. BamaBleach and Mt. Dew have hosted this ride for several years now and I hear they put on one heck of a trip. The trails are for all levels, so there will be enough fun to go around for everyone!

I hope you can make it.

For more information,

GO HERE

If you are planning to attend the ride, send a PM to BamaBleach and let him know.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Werd

= V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V = V

Hey everyone,

I'm once again planning a ride at the Skyline WMA for the 3rd Saturday in February. This is the third straight year I've done this and I'm already working on some ideas for how to make this one bigger and better.

The founding members of the Smokey Mountain Cruisers introduced themselves at Skyline 2008 and this year some of you will get your first look at the newly formed Alabama Chapter of the TLCA: the DixieLand Cruisers! Werd (from IH8mud.com) is the contact for DLC and he's going to coordinate with some of the other chapters to see if they're interested in coming.

There is no registration fee for this event!

*************************the details*************************

Meeting Place:
Thackerson's Gas Station @ Skyline

Address:
11 AL Highway 146
Scottsboro, AL 35768

I think this will be the best place for everyone to meet up. There's a parking lot across the street from the store that should allow enough room for everyone to park until all parties arive. Plus everyone can fill up on gas and snacks before we head out. If you plan to trailer your rig please PM me so I can give you details about where to park your truck and trailer.

Everyone should be able to get directions by using the address for the store listed above.

Meeting Time:
Everyone try to make it by 8:00 AM CST. We probably won't leave out for the trail until 8:30 or so in case people run late. Could be hard to estimate the time correctly with the trip some will be making.

NOTICE: Unless you have Cingular cell service you probably won't get much of a signal once you get on top of Skyline Mountain. I've got Verizon and it's hit or miss (mostly miss).

If I don't have your contact info (phone # / email) please send me a PM with that information so I can get in touch with you if plans change.

Details are still be working out for those looking for overnight stay and this post will be updated as info comes in.

Ground Rules:
Since this is a WMA there are some rules that we all need to take into consideration.
(1) Alcohol is strictly prohibited inside the WMA.
(2) No firearms

Also print out this map and put your sig on it. This will be your permit for the WMA. Just keep it in your glovebox.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/huntin...ineMap2009.pdf

*****************************Lodging Info********************************************

We have gotten a group rate at the Jameson Inns in Scottsboro. The SMC rate will be $62.99 a night. You will need to call the hotel for your reservations and ask for the "SMC Rate, their direct number is 256-574-6666. It is located between Ruby Tuesday's & Geno's Pizza, both are SMC favorites.

*****************************Camping Info********************************************

For those of you that would like to camp, Mt. Dew and BamaBleach are allowing us to camp on their property. Their property is located right off HWY 79 on Country Road 143 and is approx. 4 miles to the South of the ride meeting point. You can use MapQuest or MSN maps to get directions, however I DID NOT have luck with Google maps.

The address is:
765 County Road 143
Scottsboro, AL 35768

If you are planning to attend this event, please complete the Skyline Ride Survey located in the DixieLand PRIVATE forum. We need to get a head count of how many to expect.

I have also posted a map of the location in post #21 of this thread.

Last edited:
There is also a thread posted in the trail section over here on ih8mud. The FJC crowd gets excited and they chat a lot in the threads so it's sometimes hard to jump in a figure out what's going on. I try to update the first post with all the important info.

Hope to see you there!

I'll be back for this upcoming ride too. Hopefully my previous issues are now fixed. A friend and I will be up in that area tomorrow the 30th... I want to make sure my truck is working like it should...a little testing.

I'll be back for this upcoming ride too. Hopefully my previous issues are now fixed. A friend and I will be up in that area tomorrow the 30th... I want to make sure my truck is working like it should...a little testing.
We'll be up on the trails tomorrow. Maybe I'll see ya there.

I think I posted in the thread in the trail section as well, but I am planning on coming, but Febuary is a busy month for me, but it sounds like a good time

Trying to make it this time!

In and going to bring some of the dirty Memphis Mafia.

Don't sing it, bring it!
Bout the onlyiest thing you bringing is dirty drawers....

Campground Options and Info

Hello Everyone!

With the Skyline run about a month away we need to start planning for the event.

Most of the FJC guys usually stay in town at the motel listed in the FJC "Blue" Forum. However, some may want to camp. I have been in touch with BamaBleach regarding campsites in the area. These are considered "primative" campsites.

Several STLCA guys are planning to make the Skyline run and prefer to camp, so I posted camping information in the STLCA forum.

Please check out the following post for camping information:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/tn-stlca/2...kyline-ride-feb-21-22-2009-skyline-al.html#17

Post your preference in the STLCA forum and we can all camp as a group.

Thanks,
Howard

Dang, I wish I hadn't already planned for this weekend a month or so ago. Too bad it's also 6.5 hours away from me :eek:. The map looks like a big place. You boys have fun now.

That's too bad yall can't make it! You guys down in Ft. Rucker need to figure out a way to let the Army transport you rigs. Maybe an air lift? :D

Well, Katemcy is a month or so away! Let me know if your interested.

Been away too long

I've been away from this site for too long. I am only an hour from skyline. I need to get in on this.

JR

UPDATE - January 29, 2009

BamaBleach is going to check out two possible campsites this weekend, so we should be able to finalize camping plans for the Skyline Run.

The suggested campsite will be the 'official' event campsite, so it will be open to anyone attending the Skyline ride that plans to camp. So far, members from DixieLand, STLCA, and SMC, as well as others, have expressed interest in camping.

After we get off the trail on Saturday, I invite everyone that is interested in DixieLand Cruisers to come by the campsite for a meet and greet.

Details to come... :D

I do plan to go and my friend Les and I'll try to drop by and meet you guys if we don't see each other on the trail head. I'll probally be the only guy there with a tan 60 unless one of the guys from south AL has one. The majority will be FJcruisers. Hopefully I have the gremlins worked out of my truck.... It runs better now since I had the PCM re-programmed and I belive I have the slave cylinder issue fixed. Still have a problem with it coming out of 4hi at times, which I've resorted to using a "bungee cord" until I can figure out what the deal is... Yeah its a screwed way to doing things but for now it works.

BamaBleach is going to check out two possible campsites this weekend, so we should be able to finalize camping plans for the Skyline Run.

The suggested campsite will be the 'official' event campsite, so it will be open to anyone attending the Skyline ride that plans to camp. So far, members from DixieLand, STLCA, and SMC, as well as others, have expressed interest in camping.

After we get off the trail on Saturday, I invite everyone that is interested in DixieLand Cruisers to come by the campsite for a meet and greet.

Details to come... :D

Still have a problem with it coming out of 4hi at times, which I've resorted to using a "bungee cord" until I can figure out what the deal is... Yeah its a screwed way to doing things but for now it works.

Yeah, I have seen that before while in Tellico. It works and gets you home. I always have bungees handy in my truck, console, glovebox, etc.

Cable ties can work wonders too!

UPDATE - February 5, 2009

Camping information is being finalized for the weekend. I will post information as soon as possible.

For those of you who are attending or thinking about attending the event, please visit the DixieLand Private Forum and complete the Skyline Ride Member Survey.

Plans are being made and we need to get an idea of the number of members we can expect.

Thank you!
Howard

PLEASE NOTE:

In order to gain access to the DixieLand Cruisers Private forum, you will have to join the "Bama Cruisers" group by going to your UserCP and requesting access to the group.

Once you send a request to join the group, send me a PM and I will authorize you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom