Small awning over hatch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

F4B69F29-5004-40D5-9BFB-35821822E7EF.jpeg

I use a force protector gear awning for this…
It straps to basically anything on the 200 or my defender..
they also fixed the issue I have with it in ver 2.0..
Not cheap but setup and tear down take minutes, with no need to screw around and redesign it every-time you put it up.

Last edited:
I ordered a Moon Shade. A little pricey but looks like it has a lot of flexibility in terms of mounting options. Plan to mount on the rear roof rack to give me coverage for my upcoming pull out kitchen drawer system upgrade.

Have a couple of camping and wheeling events in Oct and look forward to trying this out.

I ordered a Moon Shade. A little pricey but looks like it has a lot of flexibility in terms of mounting options. Plan to mount on the rear roof rack to give me coverage for my upcoming pull out kitchen drawer system upgrade.

Have a couple of camping and wheeling events in Oct and look forward to trying this out.

This looks like potentially a great product!
I have been looking at adding an awning to my Opus camper and this one is half the price.

I like the fact I could use this for camper and LC.

Thank you!

Picked up the Kelty product.. seems pretty good, though the a-frame nature of the far end pulls down the edges enough that seeing out while standing won't work well. Should provide great cover from sun though.

I'll give it a chance on a trip and see how it works real-world, and consider swapping to the two-pole system if it feels constrictive.

I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp in both the 9' and 16' size that I've used off the back or side of the old 4Runner, 200, and our Hiker trailer. This weekend at a Hiker trailer event (73 trailers, no two alike with all the personalization and modifications) I won one of the above linked Moon Shades. We got home late last night, and it was raining this morning. If the wind dies down I'll try it over the back of the LC later today or tomorrow.

I won one of the above linked Moon Shades. We got home late last night, and it was raining this morning. If the wind dies down I'll try it over the back of the LC later today or tomorrow.
I set up the Moon Shade that I won over the weekend. I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality and versatility. When I was looking at them earlier this year when everyone and their brother was reviewing them on YouTube, it looked gimmicky, time consuming to set up, and more expensive than my ARB 2500 Touring.

But not true at all. My ARB 2500 was purchased in 2015, so all price comparisons are off. The ARB 2000 I bought earlier this year was $150 more than I paid for the 2500, and $50 more than the Moon Shade. It is quick to set up and take down. The poles are all bungee-corded and it has a Velcro strap to hold them together. And it rolls into the bag with room to spare, unlike a lot of items that never fit back in their bag. And it isn't gimmicky at all! It really is versatile, and seems to be well built. I especially like the little clips to keep the awning from lifting off of the poles.

Here are photos with it on the back of the LC with the 7' side attached with toggles I already had, along the side with the 7' side and toggles as well as the 9' side and the large suction cups, and one with the 7' side and toggles on my Hiker Trailer.

306013292_456038886554395_644938539411884323_n.jpg

306319097_456038876554396_3852661506172799510_n.jpg

307318419_456038889887728_8336472447448297635_n.jpg

307460342_456038869887730_6093467923224002756_n.jpg

306319097_456038876554396_3852661506172799510_n.jpg

307362391_456038879887729_3729556056969753875_n.jpg

305970035_456038859887731_4437313422579052655_n.jpg

307871096_456038866554397_8552510713181272313_n.jpg

306721176_456038863221064_9157153285637870414_n.jpg

I set up the Moon Shade that I won over the weekend. I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality and versatility. When I was looking at them earlier this year when everyone and their brother was reviewing them on YouTube, it looked gimmicky, time consuming to set up, and more expensive than my ARB 2500 Touring.

But not true at all. My ARB 2500 was purchased in 2015, so all price comparisons are off. The ARB 2000 I bought earlier this year was $150 more than I paid for the 2500, and $50 more than the Moon Shade. It is quick to set up and take down. The poles are all bungee-corded and it has a Velcro strap to hold them together. And it rolls into the bag with room to spare, unlike a lot of items that never fit back in their bag. And it isn't gimmicky at all! It really is versatile, and seems to be well built. I especially like the little clips to keep the awning from lifting off of the poles.

Here are photos with it on the back of the LC with the 7' side attached with toggles I already had, along the side with the 7' side and toggles as well as the 9' side and the large suction cups, and one with the 7' side and toggles on my Hiker Trailer.

View attachment 3121032

View attachment 3121033

View attachment 3121035

View attachment 3121037

View attachment 3121033

View attachment 3121036

View attachment 3121031

View attachment 3121038

View attachment 3121034

Nice detailed review.

I setup my MoonShade on the truck in driveway last weekend for a quick test. Connected the strut pole to the rear roof rack with two re-usable zip ties. Sun was beating down on me in the driveway but with MoonShade deployed, the reflective barrier kept things cool underneath.

Easy to setup and tear down with one person. I have two extra telescoping poles that I'm going to test out on my next camping trip. The idea is to have this as a shelter on back of truck or side and be able to quickly disconnect/reconnect leaving the shade deployed back at camp when wheeling.

I like my Rhino awning but I don't like wheeling with it on when navigating thru narrow trails with dense trees on the east coast.

I have two extra telescoping poles that I'm going to test out on my next camping trip.
I was going to do that, but ran out of time. I have a pair of maybe 3/4" adjustable tarp poles that I used with a Kelty Noah's Tarp 9 on the back of the Hiker before getting the ARB 2000 awing that I can use. I also have four of Kelty's discontinued but super sturdy 1-1/8" diameter telescoping 9' poles I use with the Noah's Tarp 16 as a stand-alone shade. Neither Kelty tarp is as opaque as the Moon Shade, though, and I'd get my bald head sunburned sitting underneath.

I'm looking forward to deploying the Moon Shade next week at the Ohio TearJerkers Fall Gathering at Caesar Creek State Park, south of Columbus.

I have this Kelty Waypoint tarp. It's great in that it's compact, light and relatively easy to setup.

Don't have any pics, but I find it's flexibility to be it's best feature. So often, the car is not parked in an ideal facing, or the sun angle is at a different time of day, that I want the awning a spot other than what a fixed awning would provide.

I've been debating whether I want a fixed awning because they are pretty cool in the right scenario.
REI arrives them. Got one for my 200 and 75 series.

This looks like potentially a great product!
I have been looking at adding an awning to my Opus camper and this one is half the price.

I like the fact I could use this for camper and LC.

Thank you!
I have a Moon Shade. The suction cups do not work well in the wet. I bought strong mags. Quality of Moon shade is good. Tricky to put up or down in wind. each time you leave the camp site you need to disassemble it. If I could get a mounted awning thru the garage door I’d buy one.

I have this Kelty Waypoint tarp.

I ended up going with the Kelty. I'll report back after I get a chance to use it.

Picture of my waypoint tarp.

I ordered a Moon Shade.

Picked up the Kelty product...

I set up the Moon Shade that I won over the weekend.

I was perusing the REI website to find something to use my annual 20% coupon on, and the Kelty Waypoint caught my eye. It seems pretty ideal. So, naturally, I came and searched ih8mud to see if anyone had tried it out. Glad I found this thread, since the MoonShade looks like an equally promising option.

Have any of you noticed any additional benefits or drawbacks since the last time you commented?

My first thoughts/ questions in trying to decide between the two are:
  1. Do the Kelty straps rub & scratch the 200's paint?
  2. How secure is the MoonShade's attachment to the 200?
  3. The Kelty just looks like it will withstand winds much better than just about anything else. Does my assumption here match everyone's experience?

I was perusing the REI website to find something to use my annual 20% coupon on, and the Kelty Waypoint caught my eye. It seems pretty ideal. So, naturally, I came and searched ih8mud to see if anyone had tried it out. Glad I found this thread, since the MoonShade looks like an equally promising option.

Have any of you noticed any additional benefits or drawbacks since the last time you commented?

My first thoughts/ questions in trying to decide between the two are:
  1. Do the Kelty straps rub & scratch the 200's paint?
  2. How secure is the MoonShade's attachment to the 200?
  3. The Kelty just looks like it will withstand winds much better than just about anything else. Does my assumption here match everyone's experience?

Absolutely no regrets on the Kelty Waypoint. I bought it on a whim for a trip since I was in a vehicle that didn't have a roof rack or awning. I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed and for the price and versatility it's a piece I will continue to use and keep. The only drawbacks I can see is the pole design. It uses a steel pipe with an inner steel woven cord. It's a little thick and heavy but still fits nicely in the bag. I may try to get a collapsable aluminum pole to replace it in the future but definitely not needed. I haven't had it in high winds but like any awning you'll need to really tighten it down and guy it out. It has not caused any harm to my paint. Again, if you cinch it down well the strap won't move much at all and if it still bothers you you can always place a microfiber rag where the strap touches the truck. It's more functional than any awning I've ever used. Most of the time when I see people with their awnings deployed it isn't even providing any shade. With the Waypoint you can maximum coverage over your tailgate no matter the time of day or direction of the sun because it's sloped on both sides.

I returned the waypoint. It seemed high quality and well attached, but when set up it was very enclosed.. much more so than my current Noah’s tarp. Plus I tend to set up camp (and tarp) then head out for various drives.. I can use the Noah’s tarp with poles and trees and drive the cruiser out from under it, but this wasn’t a reasonable option with the waypoint.

I think it can be a great product for many people depending on their needs and the way they camp, but it didn’t work for me.

Not much to add to the above comments. Works as designed. Nice to have a relatively compact option when a lot of sun or rain intrudes on plans.

I got this after LCDC8 where my son and I were roasting in the sun at our camp site the end of the day after running trails, and there was no natural shade in our site.

For me it is very intermittent use. I only install it if I plan to be in that exact spot for a bit and the conditions merit protection. Most of the time I go shade-less.

I think a full on awning that mounts to the roof would be easier to deploy and stow, and might be quicker to deploy, but I do not love the extra stuff sticking off the side of the rack - I run too many overgrown narrow trails where that's just one more thing to catch on branches.

One other bonus is I can use it off the back of our small camper if we want additional shade or rain protection. Two 180 awnings plus this give three sided protection.

Last edited:
I mentioned the Noah’s tarp.. it doesn’t attach to the vehicle by default but can be made to. I usually don’t. Here’s my setup in the mountains.

EE7DCD7D-3F3E-4A9B-A6B1-2DD19514FD23.jpeg

It can be set up free standing but you wouldn’t have enough room to get the vehicle under it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom