Sluggish feel around 2100 RPM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In 2nd and 3rd gear I notice a hesitation and sluggish pull around 2100 RPM till 2300 RPM. Almost a skipping feel. Around 2400 it goes away. I've noticed it since I bought it, thought the new perfectly gapped Denso plugs would help, but no luck. It isn't anything too bad, just wondering if it can be solved or is it something to worry about. Just put fresh oil in it with Lucus Leak stop and a new K&N air filter ( which I'm changing soon). Any advice is appreciated.

Stats: 1986 FJ60, 193,800 miles, four speed manual, on 33's. 8.4 mpg avg.

Sounds like the hesitation/stumble I had. Try disconnecting the tach at the coil (green plug). I'm not sure why some 60's have this issue, but it corrected the 2100rpm stumble in my 85 instantly.

I think(more of a guess ) unplugging the tach does the same thing as grounding the ICS, which I think you have done already.

I would look at the EGR valve and bypass/disable it to see if the sluggishness goes away, if so, you can then work on seeing why, or just bypass it, but you will probably have to adjust your timing a bit if the motor pings.

If it's a only a light/mid throttle stumble, then it could be an air/fuel mixture issue (EGR, carb). If there's no stumble when floored, that's what I would suspect. Number one suspect: EGR valve.

Sounds like the hesitation/stumble I had. Try disconnecting the tach at the coil (green plug). I'm not sure why some 60's have this issue, but it corrected the 2100rpm stumble in my 85 instantly.

Could you post a pick of what you are talking about? I'm a newbie.

Could someone post a pic of the EGR so i'll know what I'm looking for under the hood? Once located, how do I bypass it?

Is this it? If so, how do I bypass.
image.jpeg

no, thats the Idle control solenoid(ICS)

if that pic is of your 60, then someone has already done some re-routing of the vacuum hoses(and a header), so its anyone's guess whats going on, without more info(pics)

read the FSM as per above, emission manual, search for FJ60 desmog it will teach you a bunch

EGR is this thing.
EGR Valve FJ40, FJ60 8/80-7/87

no, thats the Idle control solenoid(ICS)

if that pic is of your 60, then someone has already done some re-routing of the vacuum hoses(and a header), so its anyone's guess whats going on, without more info(pics)

read the FSM as per above, emission manual, search for FJ60 desmog it will teach you a bunch

EGR is this thing.
EGR Valve FJ40, FJ60 8/80-7/87

Yes, that's my LC. I think I downloaded them already off of a members signature. I'll give it a look. Thanks for the advice.

The Classic FJ60 "Stumbling/Hesitating Acceleration/Running Problem

Here is some light reading. As you can see, it is a common problem that is very often linked to the EGR valve. As Landpimp pointed out, your emissions system has been modified so not all of the info in the thread will be helpful. But it's worth reading through. There are quick and dirty fixes involving golf tees and deeper ones like pulling and cleaning the EGR or replacing it with a good used (harder and harder to find).

The 2F emissions manual has the most detailed EGR info and you'll also be able to see what the PO did to your setup.

it does not have a EGR valve anymore, can see in the pic where is was cut and welded.

it does not have a EGR valve anymore, can see in the pic where is was cut and welded.

Good to hear, I read the manual that was posted and I couldn't find one. Maybe i'll do a compression test. Read somewhere on here that Chevron gas was a good gas to run. I put some Lucas Oil Fuel Cleaner in it last time, but seems that also has mixed reviews on here. Maybe I just have some bad gas.

Could be a leak in one of your vacuum advance diaphragms on the distributor allowing timing to slowly drop off in mid rpm range. Once mechanical timing catches up you don't notice it.

Depends on what is currently hooked up as this thing looks desmogged(?) Take a long piece of vacuum hose and hook it up to whichever advance port (on the distributor) is being used and check to see if the diaphragm holds vacuum.

Could also be a clogged jet or maybe the secondary isn't opening?

Could be a leak in one of your vacuum advance diaphragms on the distributor allowing timing to slowly drop off in mid rpm range. Once mechanical timing catches up you don't notice it.

Depends on what is currently hooked up as this thing looks desmogged(?) Take a long piece of vacuum hose and hook it up to whichever advance port (on the distributor) is being used and check to see if the diaphragm holds vacuum.

Could also be a clogged jet or maybe the secondary isn't opening?
This is what I was thinking, secondary not opening properly or fully. But if it happens only at 2100rpm regardless of gear then that may not be true. I would start with EGR troubleshooting, tune the carb some and ensure that timing is good. Oh and make sure that all your spark plug wires are connected properly. Mine was stumbling recently after I rebuilt the head, couldn't figure out why until I realized that two of the wires were not seated in the dizzy properly so they were getting SOME spark but not full spark. New wires and proper seating and all is good.

This is what I was thinking, secondary not opening properly or fully. But if it happens only at 2100rpm regardless of gear then that may not be true. I would start with EGR troubleshooting, tune the carb some and ensure that timing is good. Oh and make sure that all your spark plug wires are connected properly. Mine was stumbling recently after I rebuilt the head, couldn't figure out why until I realized that two of the wires were not seated in the dizzy properly so they were getting SOME spark but not full spark. New wires and proper seating and all is good.

I'll check the wires and make sure they are connected properly. They look to be pretty good shape so far.

Check your vacuum advance diaphragm on the distributor to make sure it holds vacuum.

You can check the vacuum secondary diaphragm on the carb the same way as stated above.

If the secondary diaphragm holds vacuum then another trick I've used (saw it on MUD somewhere) is to put a paperclip on the shaft of the secondary diaphragm up tight against the diaphragm housing. Go have a spirited drive. When you get back pop the hood. If the secondary is opening the paperclip will be pushed down the shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom