Slow wipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never ran into this before maybe some of you have .I,ve tried two diff motors out and they both start slow if at all then work fine .When they don,t start I have to persuade them.I,ve cleaned the old grease out of both they seem free and clear,Its almost like there not getting enough amps. Any suggestions?

I'm going through the same thing. Seems to work better with the engine revved and a wet windshield.
But my wiring is on the tired side as well.:frown:

Bad ground? I'd try cleaning the connctors, using some dialectric grease, and running a jumper cable from the battery to see if the ground i bad.

My wiring seems OK and it makes no difference if I rev the engine which has me baffled.The only thing I haven't checked is behind the fuse block,Ive cleaned all the fuse contacts made sure the wipers themselves are not binding and lubed them.Has any body had resistance problems in the switch?

Bypass all the harness and give the motor 12v to rule out the motor. Then you can start ohm testing your wires. Best of luck. I hope you find it; mine suck as well. :cheers:

If it's not the motor, it's the power or the ground.
Agree with the previous post. Run some jumper cables direct from the battery up to the connector. Try good power and then good ground.

If it's not the motor, it's the power or the ground.
Agree with the previous post. Run some jumper cables direct from the battery up to the connector. Try good power and then good ground.
OK hears whats got me puzzled I'm an advocate for grounds on the TLC which Ive suggested many times in this forum.I have 2 1,ott ground straps to the tub and frame ,2 1 ott straps from frame to engine .One battery in the tub grounded to the tub ,one battery under the hood grounded to the engine. Do the wipers have there own ground and is it at the fuse panel ? I can,t see how the motor itself grounds. I agree it has to be more than likely a ground problem.

if all the electric fails they sieze up where the pivot goes through the w shield .they need to be lubed and yes there is a ground in the harness. good luck

It's been four months since I went at my wiper motor. (I had the same symptoms and a new motor fixed it.) The motor will run even if it is not bolted on the body so that tells you that it is not a chassis ground at the motor. If you look at the attached wiring diagram, the ground is done through the wiper switch. I think that it's white with black stripe at the switch and that should be connected to ground somewhere. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Wiring_diagram_78_fj40-1.pdf
    190.7 KB · Views: 90
dont forget about the brushes in the wiper motor itself. I had a 40 that I had to periodically bang on the dash to get the wiper motor to start. got tired of that routine and tore into the wiper motor. Brushes were shot. so short that they got wedged in cockeyed and didnt make good contact. found some brushes at a local hardware store, sanded them to fit and it works great. faster, and doesnt require a fist to get started.

Also, went through the wiper pivots, took them apart, used new white lithium grease and its much better. the caked in old grease caused a ton of drag compared to the dried old stuff in the pivot shafts; not the ball snap things, but the actual shaft that the wiper arms attach to.

my wipers were slow as well and i took the motor apart found brushes were good so i lubed everything that moved and set the tension adjuster .now works good. the adjuster i turned in til tight then backed off 1/4 turn. does anyone know what the correct adjustment should be?

my wipers were slow as well and i took the motor apart found brushes were good so i lubed everything that moved and set the tension adjuster .now works good. the adjuster i turned in til tight then backed off 1/4 turn. does anyone know what the correct adjustment should be?
i set my tension by tightening it ,turning the wipers on and screwing it out till it runs fast which is about a quarter of a turn.The ground in the switch I will check,as the rig sat outside for um-teen years uncovered,and the brushes make sense also .Will Tackle that tomorrow and let you know .THX very much.

Ok its now tomorrow and I checked the brushes in both motors ,and both were pooched don't know how they even ran. got some brushes from Home Hardware filed them and voila ,I could probably bend the wiper if I hung onto them while running.Thanks guys you rule.

Good to hear you got it solved!

I keep hearing everybody say they can get brushes at the hardware store. I've never looked but I can attest that my local stores suck. Whereabouts would a fella look for brushes in said hardware store? Is this a common thing and I just never knew it or are you just using power tool brushes?

Last edited:
Ya its in the power tool section ,or if you have a place in town that rebuilds starters and alternators etc . they are 4mm thick and have to be filed down to slide in the holders .My holders had a plastic clip at the rear of the brush that held them in.

What's the deal when the high speed is slower than the low speed? My high speed starts really slow, but eventually will get up to about the same speed a low.

Chassis ground

Just for info... there is a wiring harness ground that attaches to the inside of the passenger side frame rail approximately under the passenger seat (74/75 at least). I've seen it cause slow wipers and gauges on the fritz.

Slow high speed is likely caused by bad brushes.
:flipoff2:

That's your high speed brush not making good contact and sharing the juice with the slow speed brush.which will eventually make contact an d go fast.Brushes are worn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom