Slow Windows - Cheaper fix than OEM guides (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1994 GXL 80 and have been frustrated with the slow electric window problem and the price tag on replacing the rubber guides/bailey channel what ever its called. My windows were very slow and on a cold day would stick and need to be assisted to get them up.

Tried going on the cheap and giving this generic channel a go(I've read that holden HQ bailey channel also suits an 80). At first it didnt work because of course the channel I bought did not have the window corners. I was hoping I could just cut it and make it fit but that didnt seem to work.

So next I decided to use the top portion of the existing rubber to retain the corners and just replace the channel going down the sides which is where 99% of the window contact occurs when they travel up and down. As you can see in the photos I cut the off about an inch from the top. I then pulled out the old rubber and used some silicon spray in the channel to slide the new rubber down the channel with the window still in place. It was surprisingly easy. I then used a but of super glue at the points where the old rubber and the new one meet.

Result in the windows are much better than before. I wouldnt say like new but still a fairly drastic improvement. That video was with the car off, its a little faster again with it on. Cost me about $70 AUD and about an hour of my time. Fast and easy job. You can obviously see the join where I cut it so if youre worried about a perfect finish this might not be for you but on a bush truck like mine its fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom