Slow rotational squeak (rubber like) under 5mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any Ideas?

00 LX with 165k

It doesnt happen initially, only after 5-10 minutes of driving.

Not a metal on metal sounds but like a dragging rubber sound.

Happens at start and stop.

Does not change whether on or off braking.

Does not change whether in L M or H suspension setting.

SOMETIMES the noise will stay until around 12mph

Sometimes sounds like chirping when going REAL slow but not always

In my jeep days this would be a ujoint 99% of the time so i order joints to rebuild the front driveshaft. I figured it needed it anyway since i bet it wasnt greased the first 150k of its like before me. Also it is realy hard to get grease past the slip yoke seal. And yes i remove the zerk after greasing to release the built up pressure.

61 views and no input?

Guess its driveshaft and report back what i find. It might take a while though since its looking like either mid 90s or raining for the next week in philly, neither condition is ideal for me working on stuff :)

I had this same issue, now I’m not sure if it’s related or not but I had to reboot both cv axles, and noticed that the axle nuts were both loose, after putting everything back together and tightening it to spec the noise went away.

I had this same issue, now I’m not sure if it’s related or not but I had to reboot both cv axles, and noticed that the axle nuts were both loose, after putting everything back together and tightening it to spec the noise went away.

This is an interesting one. I put new bearing in and rebuilt/rebooted the CVs when i bought the truck a year ago. I recently checked the preload on both bearing to make sure they werent out of spec as the bearings wore in from new and everything was spot on. I will check the boots. On of them had a worm clamp come loose but i caught it immediately so i didnt loose much grease. Maybe another is just barely loose and squeaking on rotation slowly after the rubber warms up since it doesnt do it cold when it would theoretically be tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom