Builds SLOW 71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never knew that happened to PS pumps...
I knew you could fry them, but was thinking a PSC pump would take a ton more abuse over stock. Besides that, I don't believe it's been abused in any way with as little of run time that's on it. Maybe now with a larger cooler in the system it will last.

Ok, all you knuckle slackers, I'll get to them next year guys, you know who you are (me included). :) Well, today was the day. I do repack the wheel bearings every year, but those knuckles not so much. I started with the pass. side and have to say it looked good, no water or gray runny goop, no brunt, rusty or worn spots on the bearings. I've always used Redline cv grease for the wheel bearings, but used a generic moly grease for the knuckles. This time I'm cleaning all the old grease out and rebuilding with just the Redline in all of it. I'm very happy with how it held up through all the abuse and have to recommend a couple products that helped with that. First are the Marlin heavy duty inner seals which kept the axle oil where it should be. Next was the Trail Gear one piece rubber knuckle wiper, Absolutely no grease piles on the bells and no water got into the knuckles either, so I'm going with those again.
Something else might be worth looking into after Gordobes mishap this year and that's replacing the knuckle studs (all studs) with some ARP studs. I used them when I first built my axles and they stayed tight all this time with none snapping off. One of the things I like about them is the hex head on top of the stud so you can tighten them down a little better. I went with Longfield axle shafts back then and they seem to be holding up fine, no noticeable wear, so that's a plus.
I'm sure there are other things we could do in order to improve over stock, which I'm all for. I don't do any wheeling around the house, it's always traveling somewhere and that's a bad feeling breaking down. I've had my share of problems and probably will in the future, just trying to minimize the damage.

So come on you knuckle abusers, call Cruiser Outfitters and order some parts, get a roll of paper towels, turn up the classic rock and jump in, you'll be glad you did. 👍

IMG_4515.JPG

IMG_4516.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

OK I will play , So i do not fill that knuckle cavity full of grease , WHY ? I just fill the Birfield up ,and a small bit around the ball ? Since we have hubs , The only time it is working is when in 4x4 , Please tell me why not ? I need 2 know .
Opps I thought you wanted are 2 cents

Where you guys getting the ARP kit from, Kurt?

I need all new fasteners up front due to corrosion on my donor axle.

Mainly I fill it what I think the service manual says 3/4 full. Blind faith if you will. My question to you is, why not fill it? I would think more grease in there the better it would stay in the birf. and keep any moisture away from it.
I guess in the old days when we did a broken Birfeild That much grease is a mess on a trail repair , ( We only had Marfeilds Birfs , back in the early days ,

That's a good reason, knowing you're probably going to get into one on the trail. Playing hard with big tires I can see it. My style of 4 wheeling anymore errors on the caution side, no more poking the dog (mostly). I average roughly 5,000 miles a year, give or take, so every 4 or 5 years spending a couple days in the shop with grease all over me and the dog, is worth the false hope of not having problems with them. Besides at my age I might not have to do this job again. :)

Cleaning up all the parts today I found the trunnion bearings (I call them knuckle bearings) were wonky, just not right. I'm no expert, but they seemed loose and binding when spinning. I put another order in to @cruiseroutfit and this is what I love about them. I listed a whole bunch of part numbers that I wanted and when finished he said " we have that in a kit form and will save you over forty bucks" 👍 So, waiting on parts, but will give me time to clean everything and get ready for the rebuild.

So, the knuckle bearings came in and I put one together. The book says @6 to 12 ft. lbs. on the preload, but was looking at a video where they were talking about running larger tires. With larger tires they suggested running 15 ft. lbs. It took me a couple tries to get there, but I think it makes sense. At the least I got to use some fun tools. I don't have the SST to find the correct amount of shims and never did worry about it that close, just get the right preload and put the same top and bottom. I run with the Marlin heavy duty seals in the axle tube, which I heard gives you a little wiggle room. 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, pictures of how I spent the afternoon, grease packing in the morning, 3/4 full :) Any guys with the really big tires do the same or no?

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

I was looking to buy a new spring in one of my locking hubs and this video pops up. I like it a lot for assembling the springs. I think you'll find it interesting..

EDIT.... by the way, you can't just buy new springs, the whole free wheeling hub is @ $110.

Which spring do you need? We stock a few hundred AISIN hubs, we also have some supply of used parts and spares.

fsm-1979-85-front-free-hub.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom