Slip when locked up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in 80 series, and didn't see anything because few people run this trans.
I threw it in diesel but that forums pretty slow.

@SNLC replied and kind of confirmed my thoughts.

I figured I'd ask here to draw a larger pool. My a442f is very similar to your a440f.

Basically when you're cruising and the converter is locked, if you speed up do you see any slippage, any increase in rom beyond the speed increase?

The converter can be locked and the trans slip in OD, unlikely though with your low power engine

you're cruising and the converter is locked, if you speed up do you see any slippage, any increase in rom beyond the speed increase?

If everything is functioning properly no there won’t be any slip… that’s what locked means
Is that a more clear answer?

If everything is functioning properly no there won’t be any slip… that’s what locked means
Is that a more clear answer?

My transmission prior to failure was exhibiting 200-300 rpm of slip. I have a feeling my pump was failing and I want to verify when I get the trans back these symptoms aren't normal and no longer exist.

I have zero experience with a land cruiser and was unaware how tight lock up was. So I was trying to get a comparison from similar vehicles.

Is that clear enough?

My transmission prior to failure was exhibiting 200-300 rpm of slip. I have a feeling my pump was failing and I want to verify when I get the trans back these symptoms aren't normal and no longer exist.

I have zero experience with a land cruiser and was unaware how tight lock up was. So I was trying to get a comparison from similar vehicles.

Is that clear enough?
Howdy @Dusten

When my tc locks up, I don’t get any slippage. And, as you noted, when passing (with my pedal to the darn floor) my tc goes out of lock up, then locks up again after I lay off the gas. No slippage.

Have you had any news from your shop?

Make sure that they adjust your kick-down cable to within factory specified range. If the cable is adjusted out of spec it can muck with proper shifting.

Last edited:
Got the hdj81 back from the shop today. The transmission exhibits zero slippage when the converter is locked now. I believe the trans was failing for an extended period of time and I assumed it was normal.

Got the hdj81 back from the shop today. The transmission exhibits zero slippage when the converter is locked now. I believe the trans was failing for an extended period of time and I assumed it was normal.
Right on man. That is excellent news. Here’s to hoping that your tranny runs like a top and stays that way. 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom